Saul Tarvitz

Pig Of Sparta

This is my take on Saul Tarvitz of the Emperor's Children that i made when i'd read Fulgrim, i know he's missing the legion insignia, but i'm not that great at free hand painting and didn't know about the bell of lost souls at the time, anyhoo, any and all comments and criticisms welcome

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Assorted%20MArines/Pre-HeresyEmperorsChildrenCaptain.jpg

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/Assorted%20MArines/Pre-HeresyEmperorsChildrenCaptainre.jpg

Thanks for the comments. Your right about it not having any defining characteristics of Saul, I might read Fulgrim again and see if I can find a wee something to add to help with that. The Helmet is a metal one from the Iron Warriors range.

you might be right, i can't remember of the top of my head, but i figured that a power sword was more appropriate for a couple of reasons; i thought that a power sword being a cleaner, more perfect weapon than a chain sword would appeal more to a member of the emperor's children, and two, because he's a captain he could probably pick and chose his wargear to match the warzone he was going to fight in. The reason the model doesn't have a bolter is that it just didn't look quite right when i was putting it together, but you're definately right, in the book he did have a bolter, but there's nothing to say he wouldn't have a side arm as well (unless anyone knows otherwise)

you should model a bolter on the ground, like he threw it there, and drew his pistol for close combat, and thats the best saul model i've seen.

I agree just cut the clip off the bolter or another bolter then have a bolter (with or without clip) on the ground as if it were out of ammo.

Really good model though I think it would look better without helmet, but nonetheless really good.

Saul is awesome and I think you did him justice with this work. I likes it. Regarding the idea of a bare head, the only reference shot I've seen of Saul has him looking kind of gruff, so I'm not sure what head is out there to use. Sculpting is an option I guess, but I personally like the helm on its own. Again, love the model my friend :]

Saul is awesome and I think you did him justice with this work. I likes it. Regarding the idea of a bare head, the only reference shot I've seen of Saul has him looking kind of gruff, so I'm not sure what head is out there to use. Sculpting is an option I guess, but I personally like the helm on its own. Again, love the model my friend :]

thanks brother. i had a look the other day and there's a picture of saul without a helmet in one of the heresy artbooks but i'm not sure how accurate that'd be, think i'd have to reread fulgrim to get a better descripton, although the word 'patrician' comes to mind. with regards to sculpting, my greenstuff work is best consigned to a darkended cupboard, it really is that bad!

All I know about saul's appearance is that he has a plate bolted to his forehead.....then again I might have that wrong

i think you might be thinking of the picture i'm thinking of, it shows him with long wihite hair, holding his sword in a two handed grip.

i think you might be thinking of the picture i'm thinking of, it shows him with long wihite hair, holding his sword in a two handed grip.

I wouldn't know about the picture, it's all I can remember about Saul from Flight of the Eisentine. And he’s he most certainly did have a broad sword.

Edit: Found a picture of him: he has long white/blonde hair and a golden plate on the left side of his forehead (I always imagined it as a sort of name plate in the centre of his forehead though).

• 2 weeks later...
i'd prefer the helm and cape to be a darker shade of purple.

I think i can see why you'd prefer that, but i chose the cream for the cloak to contrast the purple and to show the purity of Saul as well as the Emperor's Children Legion prior to the heresy. The helmet colour choice was a little different, firstly i thought the white would set him apart on the battlefield to show he's an officer and secondly because i'm never happy with the faces i paint, i figured the white helm gives the mini a 'face' even though it doesn't have one.

Archived