How many Whirlwinds

Grimfoe

They're cheap, and I don't field mine with SL's or EA since they'll always be firing indirectly, for the most part, I'd suggest at least one, but I'm going to start trying 3 vindicator list to see how that works, as I think it'd be fun.

Sounds like the early consensus is two. I think I'll probably buy two to start. I like the vindicator, but I really want the indirect fire ability. I don't think I'll need to 10 strength, as I'm primiarly concerned with dealing with hordes. Thanks for the input.

I think two whirlwinds is a really powerful addition to an army list. however I think it is also really important that one of them be for laying down castellan mines. Clearing out objectives is one thing but a major part of the 5th ed rules is also holding onto them and having your opponents run across a minefield before they get to you is a really big advantage. furthermore, unless the mines go off the table, you can't really miss. They just lie where they land so if you don't actually hit any models it doesn't mean that your shot is wasted as it does with veangeance missiles. Also there is no chance of losing models to "freindly fire" if the scatter goes the wrong way. hordes will cringe at having to cross these pie plate sized blockades so you can guide them by giving them the choice of how to die, mines or running through a firelane. nice

Well, I'm sold. It sounds as if you've played quite a bit under the new rules. I'll pick up two and I'll definately start out trying one with each type of missile. I wasn't sold on the mines before, but I'll certainly try them now.

Really, thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

Plus you get to model some nice mine templates as scenary.

I thought there was a place you could buy these, but for the life of me I can't find them (was in old bookmarks some years back before I moved) but they were really nicely done.

My suggestion would be to trace the templates on some plasticard, or sturdy cardboard and then add some mines with an already exploded one with a body flailing around and other cool bits. It'll definitely be an interesting piece to post in the WIP and hall of honor. :angry:

Remember that when the new CSM is out, Whirlwinds will no longer lay mines.

This is true? Wow that's really depressing... I enjoyed making my opponent risk loosing guys to mines, or running around them and getting more shots in. ;)

Any different options they'll be given? or now they just don't lay mines anymore.

Remember that when the new CSM is out, Whirlwinds will no longer lay mines.

This is true? Wow that's really depressing... I enjoyed making my opponent risk loosing guys to mines, or running around them and getting more shots in. :P

Any different options they'll be given? or now they just don't lay mines anymore.

You can get a missile that is weaker, but ignores cover.

Archived