Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How many Whirlwinds

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

Grimfoe

Grimfoe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 903 posts
With the new objective based rules and the power of indirect fire I'm thinking I need at least two. How many are you using/planning on using? Two sound right?

Thanks.

Wolf89

Wolf89

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,739 posts
They're cheap, and I don't field mine with SL's or EA since they'll always be firing indirectly, for the most part, I'd suggest at least one, but I'm going to start trying 3 vindicator list to see how that works, as I think it'd be fun.
-Before you post a question you have about space wolves check here first then check here second-

Legio Damnatus

Legio Damnatus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts
I use two Whirlwinds with my Wolves. They usually do pretty good. With the new rules, I will have to wait and see the next time I get the chance to game.....

Focslain

Focslain

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,668 posts
For my tourny list I'm running one, but that's all I have, might look into converting up another one.

A challenge is a challenge till it is beaten, then it is a victory.
The greater the challenge the greater the victory, so I challenge the impossible.

Marek Grimfang

Marek Grimfang

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,239 posts
Two is a good number. SPaced out properly on each table quarter you can cover lines of assault and movement very well.
Greater Toronto Area, Canada.
B+C member since 2000.
Lord's Realm - R.I.P.
-Blood and Honour-

http://www.passionep...trider-logo.jpg

Grimfoe

Grimfoe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 903 posts
Sounds like the early consensus is two. I think I'll probably buy two to start. I like the vindicator, but I really want the indirect fire ability. I don't think I'll need to 10 strength, as I'm primiarly concerned with dealing with hordes. Thanks for the input.

Wolf89

Wolf89

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,739 posts
If you run with two, may I suggest using 1 with mines. This provides excellent enemy control to "funnel" them into situations you deem fitting (also helps with objectives).
-Before you post a question you have about space wolves check here first then check here second-

Grimfoe

Grimfoe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 903 posts
I think I'll experiment with that. The mines seem pretty interesting. I'm not sure how effective they'll be, but they appear to have potential against hordes with poor saves. Thanks.

Level

Level

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts
I think two whirlwinds is a really powerful addition to an army list. however I think it is also really important that one of them be for laying down castellan mines. Clearing out objectives is one thing but a major part of the 5th ed rules is also holding onto them and having your opponents run across a minefield before they get to you is a really big advantage. furthermore, unless the mines go off the table, you can't really miss. They just lie where they land so if you don't actually hit any models it doesn't mean that your shot is wasted as it does with veangeance missiles. Also there is no chance of losing models to "freindly fire" if the scatter goes the wrong way. hordes will cringe at having to cross these pie plate sized blockades so you can guide them by giving them the choice of how to die, mines or running through a firelane. nice
"Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam"

Grimfoe

Grimfoe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 903 posts
Well, I'm sold. It sounds as if you've played quite a bit under the new rules. I'll pick up two and I'll definately start out trying one with each type of missile. I wasn't sold on the mines before, but I'll certainly try them now.

Really, thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

Marek Grimfang

Marek Grimfang

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,239 posts
Plus you get to model some nice mine templates as scenary.
B+C member since 2000.
Lord's Realm - R.I.P.
-Blood and Honour-

Wolf89

Wolf89

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,739 posts

Plus you get to model some nice mine templates as scenary.

I thought there was a place you could buy these, but for the life of me I can't find them (was in old bookmarks some years back before I moved) but they were really nicely done.

My suggestion would be to trace the templates on some plasticard, or sturdy cardboard and then add some mines with an already exploded one with a body flailing around and other cool bits. It'll definitely be an interesting piece to post in the WIP and hall of honor. :angry:

KeithGatchalian

KeithGatchalian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 264 posts
Remember that when the new CSM is out, Whirlwinds will no longer lay mines.

Wolf89

Wolf89

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,739 posts

This is true? Wow that's really depressing... I enjoyed making my opponent risk loosing guys to mines, or running around them and getting more shots in. ;)

Any different options they'll be given? or now they just don't lay mines anymore.

Marek Grimfang

Marek Grimfang

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,239 posts

Oooh, didn't catch that rumour.
B+C member since 2000.
Lord's Realm - R.I.P.
-Blood and Honour-

KeithGatchalian

KeithGatchalian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 264 posts

This is true? Wow that's really depressing... I enjoyed making my opponent risk loosing guys to mines, or running around them and getting more shots in. :P

Any different options they'll be given? or now they just don't lay mines anymore.

You can get a missile that is weaker, but ignores cover.

Max_Dammit

Max_Dammit

++ EXCURSOR INDOMITUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,389 posts

Where did you get this info

There is nothing on this in the B&C marine Rumor Roundup
Sigismund replied.'"Are we going to scrap about it now. Argue which Legion is the toughest?
The answer always is, the Wolves of Fenris" Torgadon put in "because there clinically insane."
-1st captain of the imperial fists and Captain of the 2nd Company of the luna wolves.
"Horus Rising"
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,154 posts
With partials gone i'am considering taking one for my new sw army next to my Vindicator. (cant take 2 as i also field a Longfang unit, even in 1000 points i must be crazy)
There are no Deamons in 40k