Which Great Company do you play?

VonMerrick

I was thinking how I never see Space Wolf players at my local GW in Philadelphia. As we are a rare site in my area these days, I was wondering how many people play Great Companies other than Ragnar's. Seeing how Forgeworld's extras are limited to Ragnar's, are other Companies still appealing? Besides the Gamesdays in Baltimore, I have never seen the other 11 great company markings on an army.

As an aside, does anyone collect strictly 1 company or do you mix and match?

Finally, does anyone use the rampant wolf on their troops shoulders to show a combined force of multiple companies? One of the warhammer wiki's out there states that when more than one company is present in a campaign, the symbol of the great wolf is used as a sign of unity. Never heard of that before I read it yesterday.

I find it ironic that GW pushes Ragnar's company, but each time I used to visit GW's HQ in the US (before they moved to the other side of the building) they had a full life sized space wolf statue with the Rampant Wolf in the Store's Table area. You would think that icon would have been produced on the space wolf icon set from forgeworld as all Venerable dreadnoughts belong to the house of the Great Wolf.

I, Rune Priest Dark Bjoern, be the trusted advisor to Wolf Lord Krom Dragongaze Great Company.

Oh, and one thing, VonMerrick, everyone uses at least two Great Companies. Your own and elements of the Great Wolf Great Company. Every Priest and Dreadnought is part of this Great Company.

And the FW Terminator Conversion Kits are not for Ragnar´s GC, they are for Krom Dragongaze GC like you can see here in this pic.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x120/DarkBjoern/Space%20Wolves/WolfGuardTerminator7Detail1.jpg

That was an oversight on my part (I'm at work so I don't get to type things out as clearly as I'd like) What I mean is do players take multiple great companies besides the Great Wolf's. For example, Erik Morkai's and Ragnar's Great Companies are both put in a huge warzone like Cadia. Would a player model this by having all troops, have the rampant wolf? Thats what the wiki suggested but I wasn't sure. I assumed that Erik's and Ragnar's would work together fine, but each marine would retain their lord's own marking.

Currently I only use the rampant wolf for the Great Wolf, V. Dreadnoughts, and my Priests.

That was an oversight on my part (I'm at work so I don't get to type things out as clearly as I'd like) What I mean is do players take multiple great companies besides the Great Wolf's. For example, Erik Morkai's and Ragnar's Great Companies are both put in a huge warzone like Cadia. Would a player model this by having all troops, have the rampant wolf? Thats what the wiki suggested but I wasn't sure. I assumed that Erik's and Ragnar's would work together fine, but each marine would retain their lord's own marking.

Currently I only use the rampant wolf for the Great Wolf, V. Dreadnoughts, and my Priests.

I was completly aware what you mean, Brother. <_<

Play my own Company, the Wolf Bretheren led by Marek Grimfang, but I use the wolf head symbol most asscoiated with Ragnar.

Their armour is black representing them being on the fringes (more so with fence sitting on using a 5th Ed. SM Codex for the army).

I use Ragnar's Great Company...however I don't have Ragnar (I doubt I will have enough models to use him anytime soon even if I did have him) and I have one Venerable Dreadnaught with the Great Wolf'd markings and the wolf and moon insignia to tell where this great warrior hails from.

Brothers, I have elements of the Great Wolf's Company, including the Great Wolf himself, Ragnar's Company, and elements of the Primarch's Retinue to include the Primarch of us all, Leman Russ. Since there are no rules for the Primarch, I just have him right now for nostalgia's sake.....

I run a lost company turned mini-chapter, it has three great companies, Fangtar’s Raiders lead by Fangtar the Wild (symbol is a wolf head with a blade in its mouth), Black Wolves lead by Jurlan the Wise (symbol is a wolf skull and crossbones), and the Steel Wolves lead by Cordirn Steliyes (symbol is the iron wolf head). All are lead and supported by Feltorin Wildeyes’ personal retinue (symbol is three purple slashes).

What I mean is do players take multiple great companies besides the Great Wolf's.

My Space Wolves have been from Ragnar's Great Company from the time I first started collecting SW when the 2nd edition codex was released. I've always preferred the look of having the cast shoulder pads, rather than using transfers, and Ragnar's company have always been the only ones available.

Picture of my Wolves with the 'cast' Ragnar GC shoulder pads that I'm talking about:

med_gallery_23369_1075_56748.jpg

For example, Erik Morkai's and Ragnar's Great Companies are both put in a huge warzone like Cadia. Would a player model this by having all troops, have the rampant wolf? Thats what the wiki suggested but I wasn't sure.

No, that is some made-up wiki misinformation. As far as I know, there has never been any background material that suggests anything other than each Great Company member using the heraldry of their own GC, regardless of whether they are working with other SW or not. The only SW that should have the Rampant Wolf are the members of the Great Wolf's own company (which includes the Dreadnoughts and all Priests, as has already been pointed out).

Regards,

Valerian

And the FW Terminator Conversion Kits are not for Ragnar´s GC, they are for Krom Dragongaze GC like you can see here in this pic.

The FW shoulder pads are from Ragnar's great company. While two of the five have sun devices behind the wolf head. Three are clearly the classic Ragnar's wolf head.

I actually use my own chapter called the Emperor's Pride. Rules wise it is a Space Wolf force, but fluff wise no. All I have done is replaced the word Wolf with Lion. So yes my army is based on Lions and not wolves :confused:

my forces are part of the Old Wolf's Great Company, but arent found on any company roster.

After the events at the end of the First War of Armageddon, the Old Wolf came to realize that while the High Lords of Terra ruled in the Emperor's name, they often disobeyed the basic beliefs of the Emperor and his vision for mankind. Mighty though the Space Wolves were, they couldnt prevail in open warfare against the entire Imperium, yet the Old Wolf knew doing nothing would torture his warriors soul.

The answer to this troubling question came when one of his Wolf Guard Battle Leaders, Kjaran Coldheart, was accused of killing both a Inquisitor and the High Cardinal of Kincora, a small world that fell under the Space Wolves thin domains. That both of these individuals were found to posses the taint of Chaos, openly leading Kincora into rebellion, was ignored by many of the Inquisition. The Inquisition used this incident to raise support against the Space Wolves, but before they could act Grimnar exiled Kjaran Coldheart, denying him his place in the Fang until he erased his dishonor on the Chapter. Or so it appeared to those outside the Space Wolf Chapter.

Kjaran Coldheart was granted a strike cruiser and several packs of Wolves who also "disapeered" from the Old Wolfs company. When needed, Kjaran's Shadow Wolves are given missions to carry out that would otherwise bring too much anger against the Space Wolves. The targets include Inquisition strongholds, Imperial organizations as well as the triators, heretics and xeno enemies of the Imperium. During the last invasion of Abbadon the Despised, the Shadow Wolvesencountered many elements of the missing 13th Company. The Shadow Wolves battled against the Inquisition to free Imperial soldiers loyal to the Space Wolves, and aided the 13th Company by leaving needed war supplies behind where they appeared.

The Shadow Wolves are the hidden arm of the Space Wolves, striking the elements that war against the beliefs of the Emperor. The Shadow Wolves have fought tooth and nail against the Imperium, but battle the enemies of the Emperor with all the loyalty and ferocity of the Space Wolves.

Wolf Lord Kieran

I play a Company of my own, the Stormblade Great Company led by Wolf Lord Silvar Stormblade.

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/Vash113/IMG_0212.jpg

In all honesty this is partly because I got the first (and majority) of my wolves secondhand and unpainted, without any transfers. Since most of the wolf symbols were too detailed for me to freehand easily, I designed my own Company symbol. A downward pointing sword with a lightning bolt for a blade, stabbing through a horizontal half moon, with a single star in the upper right.

My freehand is much better than it used to be but still not so great, and since I can't stand painting the symbol is not too hard to do quickly and still make it effective from a distance though up close the freehand looks rather sloppy.

I like to use that blacked-out stone on the circle of companies and play a company that's been on the fringes of space for so long that they're presumed lost...like 13th Company but not <DELETED BY THE INQUISITION>ing insane lol.

My Great Company is lead by Alarik Silvermane. He took over the reigns from Hrald Deathwolf after he sacrificed himself for his brothers and was cut in half and devoured by a Blood Thirster. Silvermane renamed the Company the "Ravening Wolves" and takes great pleasure in hacking and blasting chaos minions to bits.

Here he is fighting along a brother lord from the 13th.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v365/hansmannstein/Space_Wolves__commission_.jpg

I Fight with the Forlorn Hope of Russ. We are the first to reach the battlefield, and if we are the first to die, then we also claim the greatest glory. Our leader is the battle leader Kalevi Joukahainen, vetran of a thousand campagns, and now, leader of Angels of Death!

• 3 weeks later...
I play with the 13th company. I believe Russ is out there somewhere, running around naked and we shall find him! and he shall wield his spear once more! and we shall forge the best armor for him! and give him hot coco! (its cold running around in the eye of terror for many a millenia you know)

Ullr Direfang's (i know not very creative) great company is called the Direwolves, where unusually long fangs are common on even new blood claws. their symbol is that of the Doom Wolf (think the wolf skull from Gunar Red Moon's GC, just with big fangs). and my dreads and priests have both the Great wolf's mark and that of the Doom Wolf.

None at the moment, one of these days I'm going to get round to making a contingent of Harald Deathwolfs Great Company for 40k (possibly starting out as a Lost and the Damned force representing an amalgamated force of Harald's company and Steel Legion during the breakout from the Hemlock Cordon during the 3rd Armageddon War), and an EPIC force comprising contingents from 3 made up Great Companies for a campaign set during the Dominion of Fire.

Archived