Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help Modelling Wolfy Scouts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

Denkal

Denkal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 143 posts
I was peeking around the WIP section of the good ol' B&C, and I came across THIS little jewel.

It got me to really take a look at my scouts (the current plastics) and how much I dislike them. As a result, I tend to not use my scouts, since I get the best performance out of models I've converted and painted really well, or am just proud of (my Wolf Lord once took 57 wounds from several units of Bloodletters. His Belt of Russ negated all but one wound.).

Searchy turned up little, and my GS-fu is weak. I'm trying a mix of the Scout bodies with Catachan arms, with Marine weapons, with some carefully-trimmed heads from our holy sprue. I'm trying to hollow out the shoulder pads from the scout arms, but that doesn't seem like a great idea without, say, a dremel. I know there has to be a simple and awesome solution here, so I look to my brothers for inspiration, where a night with the ale and shield maidens could not.

The look I'm going for is a Bear Grylls look. He doesn't have to advertise himself for you to know that he's one bad Wolf. You just know it.

My Armies:(W/D/L)
Space Wolves: 23/3/12
13th Company: 2/0/1
Tau: 2/1/3

"It was a simple enough plan, which was good. But Ragnar had enough experience to know that no matter how simple, no plan ever went smoothly when executed by Space Wolves."

-William King, Wolfblade

Dark Bjoern

Dark Bjoern

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,591 posts
I´ve used the plastic scouts, too. I´m pleased with the result. I think you don´t need much skill with GS to get some nice wolf pelts. I had choosen a "lone hunter"-theme for my scounts and converted them.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

SM scouts
kneeing legs from a IG heavy weapon team
some GS
some wire
SW heads
some SM bits

2016-06-19_08.56.28_zps3jxgevkj.jpg2016-06-19_08.55.04_zpsl7ia3v3f.jpg

kanaellars

kanaellars

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 279 posts
They arnt done yet, but here are my scouts. VERY easy to do with green stuff. I will admist though I went more for the 'grizzly adams' wolf idea, as I see my scouts as loners who live solitary life in the forests and only come out when needed.

Posted Image
For Russ! For the Wolftime! My wolves stand ready.

Wolf Lord Mjolnir

Wolf Lord Mjolnir

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 453 posts
Hi Denkal,

I noticed you liked my Wolf Scouts and so I thought I would give you some tips on how to do them.

First off I want to say that I nicked the method from a guy who is part of Prophet Miniatures but here goes.

What you need:
Kroot shoulder pads
Catachan legs (cutting away half way through the knee - you want the thighs and groin)
Khorne Berzerker legs (you want the lower legs (greaves) the ones with the buckles on the side)
Beatsman arms (much better than Catachan in my opinion)
Space Marine chest (back and front)

The method:
Really the only 'difficult' part is making the legs as this requires pinning and some basic green stuff work
Depending on the pose cut each leg in two places 1, where the leg meets the groin and 2, half way through the knee.

If you pin the joints backs together you can move and twist the joints more easily to your desired stance.

By cutting the leg through the knee you make the marine shorter but it enables you to make a better pose.

When you pin the catachan leg to the Berzerker greave leave about just less than 0.5cm between the two parts (this gap will be filled with green stuff)

Once you are happy use green stuff to fill the gaps and blend with the catachan leg. (NB. You could fill the gaps with green stuff and then make it look like fur which may be easier than trying to make it look like the catachan leg)

The rest of teh conversion is pretty straight forward I think but if you want any help message me.

All the best mate.

Skol!

Mjol

barek

barek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 594 posts
Go to: http://www.prophet-miniatures.com/
On told site, search for artikels, go to 'how to build a better scout'.
Also look there at the space wolf gallery in which two squads o'converted scouts.

Edited by barek, 14 August 2008 - 10:10 PM.

"Emperor have pity, for the Long Fangs will not."
Brother Leethel

Denkal

Denkal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 143 posts
Thanks for the responses, brothers!

Bjoern, once again, you fail to disappoint. I love the hunting spears and power weapons.

Kanaellars, I may just be imagining things, but those look less like wolf pelts and more like....beards the likes of which would put ZZ Top to shame.

And Mjolnir, I picked out a few of the bits, and I would have never guessed the shoulder pads were kroot. While the catachan legs are more available to me, the shoulder pads I would have to bitz order, and the places I've checked only have the whole Kroot sprue. But the legs, I think I can do. I like the posability this method has, but I'll see if I can use regular Marine greaved legs, since I'm not really going for the Pre-Heresy look.

My Armies:(W/D/L)
Space Wolves: 23/3/12
13th Company: 2/0/1
Tau: 2/1/3

"It was a simple enough plan, which was good. But Ragnar had enough experience to know that no matter how simple, no plan ever went smoothly when executed by Space Wolves."

-William King, Wolfblade

kanaellars

kanaellars

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 279 posts

Thanks for the responses, brothers!

Kanaellars, I may just be imagining things, but those look less like wolf pelts and more like....beards the likes of which would put ZZ Top to shame.

Ummm... they ARE beards... Maybe its just me, but making a normal model grizzly adams furry makes it look more wolfy... maybe its just me.
For Russ! For the Wolftime! My wolves stand ready.

Ladislao

Ladislao

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 740 posts
i just used normal sm bodies ( actualy only the ones with the wolf pelts ) and catachan arms ( 1 with orks arms becuse i had no more arms) and they went pretty cool... tomorrow maybe i will post some pic

No matter how hard the BT's try to be better than SW's. SW's will always be just a little better. Such is the way of life and the many mysteries of the universe. Where it would appear to be common sense, it is not. This isn't a matter of common sense; it's a matter of accepted fact.

So stop wasting countless hours of wondering why, and accept the truth of this mysterious fact of life. We all know those hours could be better spent painting.

Are you an italian player from novara? concatc me, we are looking for new friends!!

Max_Dammit

Max_Dammit

++ EXCURSOR INDOMITUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,389 posts
Posted Image

My scouts, not a lot of conversion just some GS hair.
Sigismund replied.'"Are we going to scrap about it now. Argue which Legion is the toughest?
The answer always is, the Wolves of Fenris" Torgadon put in "because there clinically insane."
-1st captain of the imperial fists and Captain of the 2nd Company of the luna wolves.
"Horus Rising"
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Grantyr Greymantle

Grantyr Greymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 647 posts
yeah, I used the Space Wolf scout models too

Valhalla

Valhalla

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 170 posts
How'd you get the shoulder pads on the Terminators?

I also like the helmets they've got, my best guess is that they're from the Chaos Warriors with the horns removed.

Valerian

Valerian

++ EQUITES ALATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,924 posts
Regular Plastic Scouts using the standard Space Wolves heads from the sprue; with a good enough paint job I think they make damned fine looking Wolf Scouts without all of the extra junk that people tend to pile on their models to make them more "wolfy".

My Wolf Scouts:

Posted Image

Valerian

Gunstar

Gunstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 97 posts
Valerian mate- those are very slick. I'm just trying to get some phot's of mine up! watch this space...

:mellow:

Gunstar

Gunstar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 97 posts
First time adding images so may have to edit... ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:)

Edited by Gunstar, 16 August 2008 - 05:27 PM.

Max_Dammit

Max_Dammit

++ EXCURSOR INDOMITUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,389 posts
Love the one on the left in the back

Has a real wise old loner look to him
Sigismund replied.'"Are we going to scrap about it now. Argue which Legion is the toughest?
The answer always is, the Wolves of Fenris" Torgadon put in "because there clinically insane."
-1st captain of the imperial fists and Captain of the 2nd Company of the luna wolves.
"Horus Rising"
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

barek

barek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 594 posts
Look what I found!
http://z11.invisionf...showtopic=12556
"Emperor have pity, for the Long Fangs will not."
Brother Leethel