Wolf Pup facing the bugs needs help

Inquisitor Meyer

Dear Wolf Brothers,

I am normally an Inquisition player but I've been formally drawn to the Space Wolves. Their radical differences to the Codex Astartes made them appealing to me as I like to be able to handle myself in close combat but also have some fire Support. I've prepared this list to face tomorrow a friend of mine who plays Tyanids and I would appreciate feedback and suggestions.

Space Wolves - 1500 point list - vs Tyranids.

HQ - Wolf Battle Leader - 113 pts

Frost Weapon

Termie Armour

Stormbolter

Wolf Pelt

Wolf Tooth Necklace

Secondary HQ:

Rune Priest - 144 points

Runic Staff (Equivalent of Psychic Hood)

Rune Weapon (Equivelent of Force Weapon)

Wolf Pelt

Wolf Tooth Necklace

Bolter

Fast Attack:

Land Speeder Tornado - 75 points

Heavy Flamer and Multi Melta

Land Speeder Tornado - 75 points

Heavy Flamer and Multi Melta

Troops:

Grey Hunters Pack - 10 modele - 214 pts

2x Power Fists

1x Flamer

1x Wolfguard Leader: Power Fist, Bolter, Wolf Pelt

Blood Claws Pack - 10 modele - 170 pts

2x Power Fists

1x Flamer

Blood Claws Pack - 10 modele - 170 pts

2x Power Fists

1x Flamer

Heavy Support:

Long Fang Pack 5 models (4 Long Fangs + Pack Leader) - 248

4x Lascannons

Predator Annihilator - 145 pts

Full Lascannon config (Twin Linked Las Cannon, Sponson Las Cannons)

A solid list. But to give you advice it would be helpful if you can tell us something about the ´nid list. Is it a horde list, a Nidzilla list or more balanced?

By the way, we had have some good tactical discussions about ´nids in the past. Try seachy.

I would assume with the number of Lascannons you are taking that it is a nidzilla army. If that is the case i would maybe remove the heavy flamers from the landspeeders as these wont be much of a use against nidzilla, a heavy bolter or assault cannon would cause more damage in the long run.

In fact if you can jiggle the list to remove all flamers and instead add some melta guns this may be more beneficial aswell. The nidzilla list ive played had all 2+saves but no invulnerable. Power weapons and ap2 are the way to go.

My friend usually fields three monstrous creatures in the shape of Two Hive Tyrants (one Flyrant with Devourers or Scything Talons), one walker Defiler with devourers, a Carnifex with Barbed Strangler and Venom Cannon. Otherwise he can field between 6 and 9 warriors, two zoanthropes, genestealers and swarms of gaunts (termas screening hormagaunts). It's what I expect pretty much of him. He doesnt use nidzilla but a more balanced list. His warriors usually pack Devourers, barbed Stranglers, deathspitters and the like.

Assault Cannons are your friend. Personally i prefer small GH packs with Razorbacks, Land Speeder Tornados with HB/AC and four dreads (2 AC/DCCW and 2 TLLC/ML). That´s normally enough heavy firepower to take out everything.

I made this list to counter what he has with Infantry as I lack a big number of tanks. I only have my Predator, a Rhino and the Two Landspeeders vehicle wise. I also have a Dreadnought but i considered the Landspeeders due to their movement speed would be on the safer bet here. Also the Heavy Flamers are bound to go after his gaunts and if needed their multi meltas can assist the Long Fangs and Predators in taking out the big Tyranid Constructs.

I can see where your coming from with the speeder armament however i think its a risky strategy getting a heavy flamer that close to units of gaunts or warriors. it may be hard to hit in combat but enough attacks and one or two will get through. I would have them engage at range and use their speed to stay out of danger.

I intended to get the Landspeeders to take out his little guys, not the warriors. Sure I could replace with a Dreadnought in the Elite Slot as well but for some reason i found the Landspeeders better. :rolleyes: Then again we'll see how it works, perhaps my gamble will pay off, perhaps not.

Nothing scares Orks and Nid's more than large blast templates so I'd add a vindicator to that list. Also look to adding a Leman Russ with 3 heavy bolters, thats 11 shots per turn that'll chew up infantry like nothing else.

Drop the MM and HF on your landspeeders for AC and HB.

Small GH packs with HB Razors, meltas and PF's will shred him.

I would also consider swapping LC's for Heavy Bolters - the split fire rule makes this very practical, and 'Nid's can't be instant killed so against Warriors a HB is preferable to a LC.

Otherwise, good list. Good luck

Archived