Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ye Olde Decal Project

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

Carlson793

Carlson793

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,425 posts
  • Faction: Adeptus Mechanicus

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm trying to use the Black letter Numerals file, and it only prints as a large black block. Help, please?

I just looked at the Roman Numeral PDF and it does the same thing.  Both these are PDF's and when I pull up the preview, it looks fine, black letters or numbers on a white background, but when I download them, then pull up the PDFs on the pc, its all black. And it prints that way.  Do I have something set incorrectly?

Most likely, the file has background color layers (most of my file nowadays do). What you need to do is turn on Layers in your PDF reader (if you go to this post, you'll see how to do it in Adobe Reader/Acrobat), then turn off all layers except the ones you want to print. To help trouble shoot, which particular PDF reader are you using?

Layers in Action

med_gallery_80588_10710_59157.png

Also, because of the way PDF layers are printed, only have the layers you want to print turned on. In the example below, the Blue Text on Red background you wanted printed will be Black Text on Blue background, because of the ordering of the layers. A layer higher in the list will always overprint any layers below it.

med_gallery_80588_10710_68793.png

Edited by Carlson793, 06 September 2017 - 05:51 PM.

• Olis likes this

Currently not taking decal commissions. Decal sheet design service available via PM or Carlson's College of Arms and Graffiti. Self-print decal sheet questions? See Ye Olde Decal Project for more information. Also, see Winterdyne's Applying Waterslide Decals tutorial - it's essential! Need special models, bits, or terrain? See +++The Forges of Mars+++.

gallery_48988_10069_9252.pnggallery_48988_10069_890.pnggallery_48988_10069_12890.pnggallery_29004_10383_5969.pngETL_Medal_02.gifgallery_29004_10691_2146.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gif gallery_80588_10579_401.png

valhalla130

valhalla130

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 153 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Fists
That's what it is. The reader I was using was on my dad's computer, which is connected to the printer. I got on my PC with Acrobat, and could see the layers.

_MAGGOT_

_MAGGOT_

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 266 posts

Potentially a ridiculous question:

Has anyone tried to make custom banner decals, and apply to the plastic banners on their marines? I'm talking like a full size banner, not just a logo in the middle of the plastic. I know there are various Micro-Sol type products to soften decals and allow them to conform to shapes, but are the molded plastic banners too complex? Has anyone tried? 

I feel like this might work because the ripples in the banners tend to be more or less in one direction (vertical), so the curves are mostly 2D, not complex 3D curves.

As a designer I'm quite adept at creating the graphics digitally, but I'm a horrendous freehand painter. Being able to make custom decals for this purpose would be excellent.

Carlson793

Carlson793

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,425 posts

Has anyone tried to make custom banner decals, and apply to the plastic banners on their marines? 

Yes, they have.

Currently not taking decal commissions. Decal sheet design service available via PM or Carlson's College of Arms and Graffiti. Self-print decal sheet questions? See Ye Olde Decal Project for more information. Also, see Winterdyne's Applying Waterslide Decals tutorial - it's essential! Need special models, bits, or terrain? See +++The Forges of Mars+++.

gallery_48988_10069_9252.pnggallery_48988_10069_890.pnggallery_48988_10069_12890.pnggallery_29004_10383_5969.pngETL_Medal_02.gifgallery_29004_10691_2146.pngETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei01.gif gallery_80588_10579_401.png

_MAGGOT_

_MAGGOT_

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 266 posts

Has anyone tried to make custom banner decals, and apply to the plastic banners on their marines? 

Yes, they have.

Awesome, thanks! My search-fu must be weak. Glad to see it works. :)

StormLion

StormLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 76 posts

Hi everyone, would anyone be willing to do a decal sheet of a skull with 6 wings coming off of it? If the skull could be blue (dark-ish, around a macragge blue color) and the wings black that would be even better. Something similar to this, but less tribal tattoo-y and more WH40k. Also, if possible, an angel with 6 wings holding a sword or scythe would be great too (for vehicles/storm shields/banners).

I can provide more description if you are completely lost. Thank you in advance.

Edited by StormLion, 15 November 2017 - 03:50 PM.

StormLion

StormLion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 76 posts

Hi everyone, would anyone be willing to do a decal sheet of a skull with 6 wings coming off of it? If the skull could be blue (dark-ish, around a macragge blue color) and the wings black that would be even better. Something similar to this, but less tribal tattoo-y and more WH40k. Also, if possible, an angel with 6 wings holding a sword or scythe would be great too (for vehicles/storm shields/banners).

I can provide more description if you are completely lost. Thank you in advance.

Just a quick question, does anyone think they can do this or should I look for alternatives?

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,374 posts

Just a quick question, does anyone think they can do this or should I look for alternatives?

I suggest sending a PM to Carlson793 about it. If anyone here could help you, it'd be him.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

++ CRUDIOR ÆTERNO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 712 posts
  • Faction: Space Marines, Necrons

Decal request:

I have not been able to find and Adeptus Astartes: Black Guard transfers. Is any artist here willing to make a sheet of them?

Much appreciated, 

D-P Lenoch.

Dosjeska: But then again we are Iron Hands, we will use a hammer as a scalpel. Ace Debonair: Loyalists bow to The Emperor, Heretics bow to their Dark Gods, but everybody bows to Captain Semper. Brian Blaire: Bolted for emphasis
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. -anon [][] Laus Alit Artes-Praise Nourishes the Arts
ETL_Medal_01.gifETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_03_.jpggallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpgDawn Blades Iron Gauntlet Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Workshop
Dawn Blades: W/L/D: 2/7/1 wh40k 0/0/0 Kill Team
Naculan Dynasty: W/L/D: 0/0/0 wh40k 1/0/0 Kill Team

Rob P

Rob P

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 212 posts

Does anyone have an Astral Hawks set?

Thanks

Carlson793

Carlson793

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,425 posts

Since I've got a few minutes of down time before starting my next terrain project, and as I'm getting rusty with Illustrator, I whipped up Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Black Guard and Rob P's Astral Hawks. See the Downloads section.

• MrZakalwe, Rob P and Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch like this

Rob P

Rob P

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 212 posts

You're a star - thanks!

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

++ CRUDIOR ÆTERNO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 712 posts
  • Faction: Space Marines, Necrons

Thank you much, Carlson793! I will be sure to use these as soon as I figure out how to print them! :P

Dosjeska: But then again we are Iron Hands, we will use a hammer as a scalpel. Ace Debonair: Loyalists bow to The Emperor, Heretics bow to their Dark Gods, but everybody bows to Captain Semper. Brian Blaire: Bolted for emphasis
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. -anon [][] Laus Alit Artes-Praise Nourishes the Arts
ETL_Medal_01.gifETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_03_.jpggallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpgDawn Blades Iron Gauntlet Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Workshop
Dawn Blades: W/L/D: 2/7/1 wh40k 0/0/0 Kill Team
Naculan Dynasty: W/L/D: 0/0/0 wh40k 1/0/0 Kill Team

Carlson793

Carlson793

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,425 posts

Thank you much, Carlson793! I will be sure to use these as soon as I figure out how to print them! tongue.png

Part of the decision process is easy - use White Decal Paper. Buy the paper for your specific type of printer - Inkjet or Laser. Put the paper in the printer, open the file, and print.

If using an inkjet printer, after the sheet has printed, allow it some time to dry (15-30 minutes), then spray a light coat of clear gloss paint over the sheet. allow this to dry fully, then spray a second coat. This will seal the sheet so the ink doesn't run. (This step isn't necessary when using a laser printer.)

Application is the same as for any other decals (I recommend Winterdyne's tutorial in my sig). Note, however, that as your using white paper, when you cut out the decals, you will have a white edge to them. To fix this, cut the decal a bit wide before applying. Once the decal has fully set, use some of your background paint (black in this case), and use that to cover/blend the decal edges into the model background. That was the technique used on the Imperial Raptor on the missile pod on my Deredeo below.

gallery_80588_10505_247855.jpg

• MrZakalwe likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users