Modelling Primarchs

Lord Janos

Hiya folks, im looking to do a couple of primarch models and was thinking that in comparison to standard marine models something the same size as a "true scale" marine would be about the right size.

thoughts?

(am working on a test mini using spare termie stuff in my bits box atm and will have it posted very soon)

The size of the Primarchs should all depend on their purpose. If you want to play games with these uys, then a bit bigger than true scale will suffice. On the other hand, if like me, you don't game/won't play the Primarchs, than you can make them smaller, as they will never need to stand oút so much on the table.

I only made mine a little bit bigger than a normal Marine, just by adding small greenstuff spacers. They stand out from the normal models, but also aren't too time consuming. If you do intend to model them for non - game purposes, remember they were all of differing heights. horus and Magnus were giants whereas Alpharius is more like the average Marine.

than you can make them smaller, as they will never need to stand oút so much on the table.

doubt that will be a problem, as being a blood angels player scince i was 8 sanguinius will be one of them, and I think the wings may make him stand out a lil bit ;)

will need to do a bit more research into other primarchs before i think about doing their models (aside from probably horus)

One group of North American painters/modelers created a number of the Primarchs. You can read about it at: http://www.blackmoor.ca/primarchprojarticle.htm

How does one navigate to the pictures of the Primarchs they made aside from Dorn?

You can't, it's Angela Imrie's page, therefore only the creation of Dorn - made by her - is explained.

• 1 month later...

We know that Ferrus was mammoth as well, when compared to Corax and Vulkan in Fulgrim(and, assuming they're "average" Primarch size, that would make him pretty huge).

I'm pretty sure Mortarian was described in FOTE as being taller than his terminators as much as a terminator is taller than a regular marine(ex. marine head comes to terminator chest, terminator head comes to Mortarian chest). And I do not believe Mortarian wore Primarch-sized terminator armour, so go a bit taller for any primarchs in terminator gear.

I think true-scaling Alpharius would be the biggest you could go with him, if you actually want to make him bigger than a normal marine.

For other "regular-sized" Primarchs, bulking up Doghouse's Actual-Scale marines(if he ever finishes that tutorial :sweat:) should get you in the right size area. Of course, many Primarchs did not wear backpacks, so I'd suggest lots of capes.

Nice Corax!

I was at Chicago GD '07 with a pre-heresy Fabius I was pretty proud of...until everybody showed up with their Primarchs. It was just so awesome to see all those Primarchs together :HQ:

Based on what we now know about Primarch sizes, I'd say go a little smaller than they did with the Alpharius(and I always pictured Perturabo tromping around in massive terminator amrour, but that's just me).

My main drawback in modelling the Primarchs is that anybody not in traditional marine armour, like Fulgrim or Sanguinius, would require a lot more GS work than it would kit bashing/converting(Me = awesome converter, lousy GS artist).

vash 113: yeh thats sorta what i was goin for scale wise (and nice corax btw)

JekCromium: I know what you mean about non marine armour and i had a bit of a nervous breakdown about how to do that and now think ive found a way after much sketching to get summint i liked the look of i just hope it turns out ok when i get started

To all who have replied so far: thanks for your input and sorry for not getting a pic up of the test mini, moving to uni has messed up alot of my 40k style plans for the mean time but i should be back up and running in a couple of weeks (touch wood :P )

Archived