How do you use Multi-Meltas effectively?

travh20

OK, I have a few marines sitting around waiting to be built and one option I have is to make one of them a multi-melta gunner. Now, I have one multi-melta gunner already, but have never used him. It just seems when it is time to make a list I never consider him. I guess mainly because I have no experience using multi-meltas. But, with the addition of free multi-melta upgrades for 10 man tac squads in the new Codex I think I may need to rethink these weapons.

How do you use a multi-melta effectively? To me it always seemed a missile launcher was much more effective then the multi-melta. Of course I am pretty new so probably do not know all the tactical possibilities the multi-melta give you.

How do you use a multi-melta effectively? To me it always seemed a missile launcher was much more effective then the multi-melta. Of course I am pretty new so probably do not know all the tactical possibilities the multi-melta give you.

Well the Missile Launcher has the advantage of almost always being useful. Its like the Autocannon for IG, its might not be a terrific weapon but you'll always have a decent target to fire at. They're both compromise weapons, good but not great against alotta things.

In 5th Edition Krak Missiles lack the power to kill AV14 and are a bit diminished against AV13 so most heavy armor shooting is going to be difficult. The Frag Missile seems like it was improved with the new blast ruling but its still a Bolter shot with worse AP.

The Multi-Melta on the other hand is wonderful at busting Tanks and fairly decent at hurting MCs, but rather limited at doing anything else. The main limitation on it is the 24" range, but honestly thats not that bad. I wouldn't give it to Devastators, unless you gave them 4 and a Rhino to take up a position in the midfield.

I think they have much more use in Troop squads, as they tend to be in the middle of the board, making the shorter range a non-issue.

From BoLS. A Tactica on the use of Multi-Meltas. I don't care what anyone else says, a Dev Squad packed with four of these is a force to be reckoned with.

Some of the points stated may change with 5th Ed. rules like the point values in Tac and Dev squads. But essentially it is a well proven use of MM's.

Tactica: Multi-Melta

Posted by bigred | Wednesday, January 03, 2007 | bigred, tactics | 15 comments »

The Loyalist Heresy-Era Death Guard army I run uses 2 Quad Multi-Melta dev squads, along with a couple of MM Landspeeders. I want to talk a little bit about one of the games least fielded weapons as it has raised a few furrowed brows.

Let me tell you first off that the weapon is VERY misunderstood and underestimated.

First rule of MMs: Buy lots of em. They are roughly on par with Heavy Bolters points wise so load up. While 1-2 MM dont get respect, start firing them in quads, and your opponent will take notice.

Second rule of MMs: Forget all that nonsense about getting within 12" for the extra d6 penetration. The MM is effectivley S:9 with the AP:1 rule (never forget about the AP:1 rule), and it's not wise to give up a turn of MM volley fire to get within the 0-12" rangeband.

Third rule of MMs: Fire at anything. Abandon any preconcieved notions about the MM being a anti-vehicular weapon. What wins games for me, is it's ability to be a squad eraser, when used in large numbers. Terminators? Dead on a 2+, Death Company? Crisis Suits? Dead on a 2+, etc... You get the idea. Feel free to use the MM fire against anything foolish enough to get within range. The beauty of this is the weapon's cheapness, which ensures your ability to field it in large numbers. Heck, my Deathguard devs come in at about @170pts with quad MM, with is ridiculously cheap by dev squad standards.

Fourth rule of MMs: Deploy aggressively. These are not "sit in the back" and blaze away weapons. Deploy them front and center, covering the "action". Boards are not as big as most players assume, and that 24" can reach out and touch someone easier than many players anticipate. Use your standard troops infantry to advance and hold the forward line to bolck assaults against your MMs.

Fifth Rule of MMs: Terrain placement. Always use the player alternating terrain placement rules for building tables when possible. You want large LoS blocking mid-field terrain, so fill up the center fast. There is no way to lose faster than to get into a fire exchange with a long-distance shooty army across an open center.

Conversely, there is little more frustrating for opponents, than to have to advance into mid-field terrain, with 8-12 MM waiting patiently on the other side. You will learn to love the "Take and Hold" mission, and loathe "Patrol".

Now go forth and Melta!

-bigred

well I think maby if you put him in a rhino and he could fire out the fire slits since he counts as remaining stationary in a rhino, that would mae him very effective.

He only counts as stationary if the vehicle is statinonary.

The the best way to use Multimeltas IMO is to get a 10 man dev squad, stick 4 multimeltas and camp it near your front lines. And make sure you shoot anything and everything; don't bother moving, unless there's nothing to shoot. Make the most of ap1 and high strength. A lot of people underestimate multimeltas, so if you use it properly, you can dish out a fair bit of damage for relatively cheap points cost. This only really works on short range firbase armies btw. If you're a long ranged shooter, then multimeltas are probably not the best option. If you're cc based, infiltrating devs are useful.

I've tried a quad MM squad now in 4 games, and I've dropped them from the list.

Even with aggresive deployment and bigger squads they struggle to earn their keep.

the few games I did get close enough to fire, they still couldn't get within half range to use their deadly double damage, making them no better than rocket launchers.

I agree, that after experimentation, the best place for these is in tac sqauds - but with free ML in the dex, I don't expect to use mine again.

A Multi-melta (at less than 24") is MUCH better than a Missile Launcher for one reason. The damage table +1 for having AP1. A ML can only ever Glance AV14, and while that's the best the MM can do beyond 12", a Glance can't kill. But with the net -1 a 6 will still knock out a Land Raider hit by a MM.

A Multi-melta (at less than 24") is MUCH better than a Missile Launcher for one reason. The damage table +1 for having AP1. A ML can only ever Glance AV14, and while that's the best the MM can do beyond 12", a Glance can't kill. But with the net -1 a 6 will still knock out a Land Raider hit by a MM.

Don't forget AP1 vs Terminators and such who will get that 2+ save against a Missile.

beyond 12" a MM can wreck a vehicle, since the +1 for AP means when you roll a 6 on the table you subtract 2 for a glance then add 1 for Ap1 making it a 5, wreck. The Ap1 for me is what marks the MM out but the ML is more verstile since it has 2 fire modes.

I think the biggest problem is that people don't consider it useful beyond 12" or against non-vehicle targets.

The multi-melta can earn its keep. No matter what you shoot at, it will die (Eternal Warriors being an exception) - even out to 24".

And now, lets all give a warm welcome to Realism as he takes the stage... :rolleyes:

A few problems (just to begin);

Oppertunity cost; What could've you bought instead of the multi-melta? The answer is usually 'missile launcher' or 'lascannon, sometimes 'plasma cannon'. Sure, they cost more, but thats because they are effective weapons. Instead of loading up on these guns, you've taken something less effective.

Time-wastage; Moving into range to shoot is time not spent shooting. Hence, while your opponents tanks don't suffer from missile launcher and lascannon death (and, amazingly, not every vehicle in 40k is AV14, ye gods!), you are trudging your best shooty unit closer.

Risk; 24" is about the Turn 2 assault range of many infantry (due to Run), so expect your multi-melta squad to get charged more often than a normal Dev/Tac squad. Even if you don't get caught in combat, you'll have to contend with getting rapid-fired to death. Tau and Orks are especially good at swooping in and wasting your squad in a hail of gunfire.

Cover saves; Smoke launchers grant this, but if the tank is Obscured 50% or more it can claim it too. Tau tanks can buy a constant 4+ cover save as well, and lets not even get into what Eldar vehicles can do. Given that you've wasted a turn or two getting into range (assuming your opponent doesn't simply drive away), you get off one round of shooting and watch the tank ignore half of the hits. A lascannon or missile launcher would've been firing for a turn or two more than the multi-melta, and so has a greater chance of wasting it (simply through more hits on target).

Effectiveness; So, after suffering the above 'kicks to the face', you then move onto it's actual lethality. Answer? You need to roll a 6 to glance and then another 6 to kill the vehicle with a glancing hit vs AV14, and you penetrate just as often as a missile launcher against lesser armour (but at half the range). Lascannon comes out slighty ahead, because it penetrates on a 6 and then blows up the vehicle on a 4+, vs AV14 (and it can glance on a 5+ and still disable the AV14 tank). Against all other armour types the lascannon is more effective at 13"+.

Inside 12", it is the best anti-tank gun available to Imperials (although it's little cousin, the meltagun, has identical effects at 6", and can be fired on the move and you can assault after firing it).

I don't know what people are on about with the 'you can shoot anything with it' mentality. Its an anti-tank gun, pure and simple (actually your best short-range anti-tank gun). Infantry will soak up your handful of shots with either bodies or cover saves, and most tougher units pack immunity to instant death (Daemons, Tyranids, Monstrous Creatures) and often have invul saves as well. Target vehicles, that is where a 1-shot weapon with melta makes the most sense. Shoot up infantry with plasma cannons and heavy bolter (or the ever-flexible assault cannon), use the right tool for the job.

Spamming; You can't spam it any more than you can spam missile launcher; the availability is the same, the only difference in cost (multi-meltas are a tad cheaper), and in the new codex missile launcher and multi-melta are free. If you sacrificed all your Tac and Dev selections to spam it, you'd only get a maximum of 18. With the same unit selections, you could get 18 lascannons or missile launchers, which would kill a lot more.

The major caveat for the multi-melta is on fast-moving units; Landspeeders and Attack Bikers can get into 24" range with one movement, or turbo-boost and get into 12" next turn (at which point the multi-melta outperforms every other anti-tank gun in your arsenal). That is where it belongs, not on your slower Tac squads or your static Dev teams.

The multi-melta is by no means a crap weapon, it just requires a good delivery system to work. The missile launcher and lascannon are much less reliant on mobility, and thus make more sense on your static Dev squads and your semi-static Tac squads (which you'll be Combat Squadding so you can camp the heavy weapon back with the Dev teams while the assault weapon and powerfist Sarge Rhino rush).

the other thing to consider is multi-meltas look dam cool, for me in 40k that has to be considered!

in the new dex they are in the same points bracket as the HB and ML a tac squad gets one of those and a flamer when at full strength, i think they will be great in tac squads, with combat squading and a razor back not bad in dev's either

and in the 5th ed dex the guy carrying it keeps his bolt pistol so u can always fire that!

Lascannon only kills on a 5-6 with a pen. MM pen destroys on a 4-6 due to AP1 bonus.

I happen to play alot of ravenwing (DA) so MMs are incorporated alot differently than a standard codex force might. I put them on all my attack bikes (who happily outflank now) as well as sneak them onto land speeders. Mobility is what makes it powerful.

the other thing to consider is multi-meltas look dam cool, for me in 40k that has to be considered!

It does, I just wish the rules reflected that. I mean, at the moment it gets hit with two problems; medium range and Heavy status. If they dropped the range to 18" and made it Assault/Rapid-fire, it would see more use in Tac squads. Likewise, if they extended the range to 30"/36", and kept it Heavy, you would see Dev teams using it.

Effectiveness-wise though, for the time being you are better off taking a different heavy weapon (like the missile launcher), and taking the multi-melta on Landspeeders or Attack Bikes.

Lascannon only kills on a 5-6 with a pen. MM pen destroys on a 4-6 due to AP1 bonus.

No, AP1 doesn't grant that bonus (always penetrates), your thinking of 4th Edition.

In 5th Edition, AP1 gives you +1 on the Damage Table roll, not the original AP roll. If you can't manage to roll that 6 to glance AV14, you can't hurt it. Lascannon penetrates on the same roll, and glances on a 5+.

No, AP1 doesn't grant that bonus (always penetrates), your thinking of 4th Edition.

In 5th Edition, AP1 gives you +1 on the Damage Table roll, not the original AP roll. If you can't manage to roll that 6 to glance AV14, you can't hurt it. Lascannon penetrates on the same roll, and glances on a 5+.

He means on the damage table. With the AP1 bonus, a 4 is a Wrecked, and a 5 or 6 is an Exploded or whatever.

The MM likely has great potential as a 'don't come any closer or you go squish' weapon. Dpod some Devs or whatever into cover down a likely assault route for the opponent, and sit there. Likewise for objectives in cover. I've always been a great fan of deterrents in tactics, and the MM looks to e fairly good for it, just like the Vindi.

He means on the damage table. With the AP1 bonus, a 4 is a Wrecked, and a 5 or 6 is an Exploded or whatever.

Only if you penetrate. Against AV14, a missile launcher and a multi-melta can both only glance it, and thus suffer the -2 to the damage table.

The MM likely has great potential as a 'don't come any closer or you go squish' weapon. Dpod some Devs or whatever into cover down a likely assault route for the opponent, and sit there. Likewise for objectives in cover. I've always been a great fan of deterrents in tactics, and the MM looks to e fairly good for it, just like the Vindi.

Deterrence is all well and good, but you also want them killing things. A squad of missile launcher/lascannon Devastators is just as deterring to enemy armour and MC's, but it's also actually effective. It also has twice the range, which with True LOS means a lot more shooting time, as opposed to a multi-melta squad (which is either arriving by Rhino/Drop pod, or legging it into range).

As an AT weapon, the MM is about doubly as effective as the ML (in regards to actually killing tanks, that is). (It can still kill on a glance. 6-2+1 = 5.)

Lascannon's twice as effective vs. AV14. Against every other AV, it's slightly inferior (about one or two thirty-sixths).

And anybody going on about how great plasma cannons are forgets that they hit, on average, only about fifty-percent of the time. And trust me, if you rely on them, it's less than that.

Considering how cheap MMs are, I'd say there's some merit to them.

He was only talking about the damage roll, not the AP roll. Thats why he compared how well they kill on a pen.

Attack bikes and land speeders (and to a lesser extent, dreads) are the answer to the range problem.

I don't know if people are playing on extra wide tables, but all the games I've played have 24" end up being a decent range. People often have to move toward objectives. There's also a lot of hand to hand stuff out there. Generally speaking, usually something worth shooting ends up coming within range of a multimelta. I'd consider any troop squad with a cost of 15 points a model or more to be a fine target for them as well. Obviously things like terminators and crisis suits are ideal targets, but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot at a squad of chaos marines or seraphim.

Archived