Thoughts on fighting Eldar?

Gunstar

Got a kicking from one of the local GW employees Eldar army last night- all bloody rangers, a squad of dark reapers, one of fire dragons, a harlequins troop, banshees, an avatar and one or 2 other nasties that i can't remember...

I took out his harlequins farely quickly as he charged them into my BC's bike squad with a WGL, Rune priest and Wolf priest all attached... after that it was all down hill.

Ideas anyone? it was my first outing against Eldar so...

2 words Heavy Bolters. These are a great against eldar. Most eldar armour is 4+ or worse and most eldar are T3 so that hitting on 3's killing on 2's and you can couse a Ld test from just one if you are luky. As for the avitar and other nasties with a 3+sv and high T use rocket launchers and the odd las cannon for vehicles and you wont go too far wrong. And if that dont work try my list known as "more power armour than god" 85 space wolves including Ragnar in a 1,500pt list. you'll run over them and since this was more than 1,500pts you could throw in som dreads for the fun of it, and equip them for anti tank (lascannons) and join the party.

Get into melee FAST against an army like that. However you are doing it, drop pod, transports... get there NOW.

You will not survive against Rangers and Reapers if you let them use thier guns.

Send the squad with the most power weapons against the Avatar, and pair off the others from there. Take out the Reapers, Rangers, and then the Fire Dragons first. Then go after the rest.

Sounds fairly static by Eldar Standards, a squad of OBELing scouts can wreak havoc inamongst them. As has been stated, CC, fast. Also, a LRC/Promethous/LRE would shred his infantry. Or a Podding Squad of TDA WG with a HF to deal with the Rangers. Cover? What cover?

Assault the shooty elements and shoot the assaulty elements!

What are you fielding? I think the builds that work involve either drop pods or armor. And armor could either be mass rhinos or land raiders. If you're foot slogging, a lot of armies are going to shoot you up. If you have armor, you either side inside safe or, at the least, use it as mobile terrain to block LOS.

And remember, Rangers don't get cover saves vs. flamers!

Archived