Formation question

muzzyman1981

When I finally start playing I was wondering if formations are really needed or can my models be put down in random order as long as they remain a cohesive unit? For instance does it matter if I put my WGL in front leading the pack, in the middle of the group, or in the rear? Does placement have any effect on if any model takes hits in front vs being in the rear of the unit?

It doesnt matter, most even used to put the leaders in the back and used a wolfpelt, but with 5th that doesnt matter any more

Assault has a pile in so he cant be singled out and he cant be snipped by being in front, you can take a hit on everybody else before giving him one.

So do as you like, But remember that IC's do get different treatment in CC, they have to charge first and can be singled out in CC

So do as you like, But remember that IC's do get different treatment in CC, they have to charge first and can be singled out in CC

Unless using fenrisian wolves. :D

Max summed it up good, It really doesn't matter anymore, there's no more "oh, all I can see is your IC, so he'll take a las cannon to the face" or something along those lines. If anyone in your squad can be seen, the whole squad can be shot at.

If you roll with a WGBL, you can always give him an assault cannon, slap him in a grey hunter squad and let the good times roll.

Alrighty that straightens up my questions nicely however your mention of a WGBL got me thinking about something else...in a pretty much different direction....I'm trying to understand this so hopefully you can help me out, up to 750pts I can only take ONE of the HQ choices?, i.e. if I take a Wolf Lord I can't take a Wolf Priest or Rune Priest?

I just thought of another question....if I take WGL can he take Termie armor with an Assault Cannon? if I have the points to afford it obviously...

Alrighty that straightens up my questions nicely however your mention of a WGBL got me thinking about something else...in a pretty much different direction....I'm trying to understand this so hopefully you can help me out, up to 750pts I can only take ONE of the HQ choices?, i.e. if I take a Wolf Lord I can't take a Wolf Priest or Rune Priest?

I just thought of another question....if I take WGL can he take Termie armor with an Assault Cannon? if I have the points to afford it obviously...

No, in a 750 points list you can have only 1 HQ. So choose carefully.

Yes, A WGBL can have a TDA with AC. See the new SW FAQ.

pardon my ignorance max_dammit what does IC mean? also in the new 5th edition rules isn't it if you can see the model,that has to be the casualty? eg wgl?

No If he's part of a pack, you can start by giving everybody else one hit before he has to take one so if you have 10 BC's and a wolfpriest, and you take 10 hits, you can give one to each BC if you take 11 he wil also get one, if you get 12 hits, you can start over with the first BC (the one without the fist or PW of course)

Only thing regarding formation I worry about is if my pack has a flamer I make sure he's up front

D.

Yep! Me too...but I put my IC up there too just cuz they should lead from the front! ;)

And the fact that since he's treated as a separate unit in CC, if he's not in front and in base to base contact with an enemy model, he wouldnt get to have any attacks. Get that IC up in the front. He cant be shot specifically as long as he's within 2" of a unit (as he would automatically join it) and that way if the unit gets charged, the IC would get his full attacks.

Well, it works like this as far as drawing fire: If an IC is off foot slogging it on his own, and he is not within 2" of a friendly infantry unit, than he can be targeted as normal (LOS et al). However, if he is within 2" of a friendly unit, he automatically joins that unit and as far as shooting is concerned, considered part of that unit (so you can protect him with wound allocation).

Archived