Harlequins!

traitor_dice

hi

i have an extreme problem with harlequins. i have a friend who plays eldar and always includes a full squad of harlequins. not only that but he gives them all the fusion pistols, harlequins kisses, shadowseer, death jester etc. they can have. i can not seem to kill them, no matter how hard i try.

i was hopeing someone could give some advice.

I've never had a problem dealing with them with massed bolter/flamer fire... heavy bolters are pretty good too, if you can see far enough through the veil of tears, and, of course, there's always the 5 man GK squad with 2 Psycannons and a Justicar with Psybolts... that should pretty well ruin their day.

A drop pod with 10 marines and a flamer works excellently.

Alternatively, Rhinos.

Never engage them in combat. Always use unit that can get to them fast, take your shooting attacks to take em down.

Or counter charge them with a Venerable Dreadnought, though a wily Eldar player will realise this and target the poor thing.

Still, even with rending, they are unlikely to even glance your Dread, meaning you can safely tie them up a whole game. Who knows, you may even kill a couple and get the chance to run them down!

And Venerable into the bargain! That will make the opponent cry when he realises that the lucky 6 he rolled to imobilise your Dread has been re-rolled and is now a piddily shaken result...

thanks for the help.

however i tried the idea of tying the harlequins with the venerable but they just fusion pistoled it until it was imobilised, ignored it and hacked away at marines then at the end of the game came back and started fusion pistoling the rear armour, which was very annoying.(despite the fact that a prism cannon then exploded the dreadnought and killed 3 harlequins :) )

I've only played against Eldar once, but I had a successful encounter by dropping a full squad of flamer armed assault marines right next to them, shooting them a lot, then furious charging and letting the weight of numbers and the sergeant's power weapon finish them off.

Harlequins are tough, though not as tough as in 4th. Flamers work nicely, incinerators work wonders, or also anything they can't hurt *COUGHDREADSCOUGHCOUGH* is a good countercharge unit.

Also, did you say ALL of them have fusion pistols? Sorry, but my copy of the Eldar Codex says you may equip up to two of them.

i smell cheating...or somebody who didn't read thier rules completely(it does happen)

I guess it would help if we know what army you played and what was in it. but yeah anything that gets to them fast so the spotting thing is a non-issue and flamer templates are both good options. it may be an invul save but a 5+ is still just a 5+. nobody here uses them because they are far to easy to kill.

if your playing GKs with incinerators or psy-cannons...welll thats just evil, so smile when you fry them. ;)

We had a guy at our store and he had 2 fully tricked out Harly troops. Alot of the kids had trouble but the old players just sent squads in close and rapid fired them to death.

I Drop Pod alot and dropped 2 Grey hunter packs next one one troop, and double flamed them.

Another game I had a 9 man Imperial Lions (cleans and purify, and trust your Battle brothers) and a Tech marine in Servo harness drive up and get out and put 4 flamer templates on one troop. Poof gone.

Basicly if he pushes them out front Rhno rush to him and pour the fire into them. You should be able to kill most of them with 2 squads rapid firing, and then take his charge and melee them to death, ot hunt them down as he runs them off.

It really does depend on what army you run, but I've had very good luck with my Typhoonado (HB, TMP & HF). The little panzees curl-up and blow away under that much S5.

I'm not sure if this is correct or not, but didn't a 5e FAQ say that the Null Rod cancels the effect of Veil of Tears for the Inquisitor and his unit? Damned if I can find it, but I was certain I read it. Maybe just somebody doing some wishful thinking.

• 1 month later...
i smell cheating...or somebody who didn't read thier rules completely(it does happen)

I happen to be a friend of traitor_dice and that eldar player, and no, he doesn't give them ALL fusion pistols, only two.

This shows why you should read carefully; he said all the kisses and fusion pistols they can have.

I also find his harlequins extremely annoying.

DROPPODS! :D

That or..........Psycannons.

Anything with a lot of shots basically.

I used to have trouble with Harlies. Then I just started a Land Raider Crusader towards them with nasty surprises inside.

Ah, makes me feel warm inside when Eldar Players don't have enough Bright Lances to take down 4 Land Raiders :lol:

Prometheus for the win!

A full unit of 10 harlies would need 15 wounds to be wiped out in a turn(1/3 saves). 15 wounds at T3 would require, at S4, 22.5 hits which means the unit firing would need about 33.75, 34 shots in 1 turn or at S5, 18 hits, 27 shots. All you can do to negate the VoT is to go up close and let loose. Flamers are your best bet as they do not require the roll to hit, and hits on average 6 models. 9 models (2 BPs in there for the HW and Sarge) would pump out 16 shots, so you will be just a bit lacking. Concentrated fire from 2-3 squads should be able to get rid of them in 1 turn. Although we know how... hard this is going to be.

Brother_Dan'l Posted Today, 03:09 AM

So Null Rod Inquisitor plus HB armed Devastators (or that nasty Grey Knight squad that can bring 4 Psycannons) equals no more clowns.

You're out of luck with the 4 psycannons - thats a Purgation squad and it's Heavy Support. DH Heavy Support cannont be taken as allies, and you can't take SMs as allies to DH if Grey Knights are in the army.

DH Heavy Support cannont be taken as allies, and you can't take SMs as allies to DH if Grey Knights are in the army.

pretty sure you an take SMs as allies as long as you dont have Daemonhost...and if you did, you wouldn't have grey knights. granted, you don't get many SMs, but atleast a squad.

Archived