Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Painting: How to paint Word Bearers "Kikkala-style"

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

kikkala

kikkala

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 505 posts
Howdy.
Many people have asked how I paint my bearers, so tutorial was needed.

How to paint tabletop-quality Word Bearers:
Stage 1
Prime it black.
Posted Image
Stage 2
Give 50/50 Chaos Black / Scab Red coverage to red area, I used bigger than standard brush for this.
Posted Image
Stage 3
Layer of pure Scab Red, leave some of the previous layer showing.
Posted Image
Stage 4
Next layer of 50/50 Red Gore / Scab Red, remember to leave some of previous layer showing.
Posted Image
Stage 5
Final layer of pure Red Gore.
Posted Image
Stage 6
Lightly brush Red Ink to all red areas, I used bigger brush for this.
Posted Image
Stage 7
All to metal areas I used lightly thinned Boltgun Metal (trick I learned recently).
Posted Image
Stage 8
Wash him with lots of Badab Black!
Posted Image
Stage 9
He should be looking like this after the wash is dried.
Posted Image
Stage 10
Bone areas: Basecoat of Snakebite Leather, give several thinned coats for good coverage.
Posted Image
Stage 11
Highlights with Desert Yellow covering most of the Snakebite Leather (note, my pot of Desert Yellow is many years old and is nearing total drying, so it looks like crap now).
Posted Image
Stage 12
Final highlights with Rotting Flesh, highest areas only.
Posted Image
Stage 13
Wash bone areas with Devlan Mud.
Posted Image
Stage 14
Paint the lenses with Blazing Orange
Posted Image
Stage 15
Little dots of Baad Moon Yellow to centers of lenses.
Posted Image

And basing and weaponry, Vóila:
Posted Image

Some might notice that red has 5 stages and other areas only 1-3 stages, and I have pretty good explantion for that :tu: . Red is the main colour of any Word Bearers, so it'll get attention firstly when look at the models. For Rank and File models I only give couple of layers highlights to metal and bone areas, but for character models or elite units I usually give more highlights for metal and bone.

I hope this tutorial helps all of you aspiring Dark Apostles :evil:

Edited by Kurgan the Lurker, 12 July 2009 - 04:10 PM.

“How many words could a Word Bearer bear, if a Word Bearer could bear words?" (A Chaos Space Marine Diary)

My Army Blogs
Iron Hands
Word Bearers
Angels Encarmine Sanguinary Guards
Tutorials
How to paint Word Bearer "Kikkala-style"
How to sculpt your own candles "Kikkala-style"
How to model and paint Iron Hands "Kikkala-style"

daismith906

daismith906

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 398 posts
Awesome tut ill being using that technique for my DIY termie's that are still loyal up to the red ink part <_< cheers!!

Bigger-than-Jesus

Bigger-than-Jesus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,952 posts
Well I know how I'm gonna paint my WBs when I get them(not that it's your faut I want them in the first place Kik...)

But what took you so long in writing it?
In Inquisitor, a Space Marine can take a krak grenade, pull out the pin, eat the grenade, throw the pin, and the thrown pin will actually kill a normal man, whereas the Space Marine won't even have indigestion.

If it takes more than 20 bolter rounds to take something down, maybe you should leave it alone...

kikkala

kikkala

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 505 posts
Thanks for comments :tu:.

Bigger-than-Jesus, you asked why did it take so long to make the tutorial?

Simple, I have never been completely satisfied my paintin' standards, and recently I have achieved somewhat good standard for paintin'. I didn't want to make a tutorial until I've got the confidence and paintin' skills to do it. I hope that my answer pleases you. :tu:
“How many words could a Word Bearer bear, if a Word Bearer could bear words?" (A Chaos Space Marine Diary)

My Army Blogs
Iron Hands
Word Bearers
Tutorials

Midas

Midas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 482 posts
I may actually start chaos because of you........ dang it. Oh well, I can settle with painting my cousin's chaos. :)

Edited by Midas, 03 September 2008 - 11:27 PM.

"It is the soldier, not the reporter,
Who has given us freedom of the press. "It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech.

"It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protester to burn the flag."
--Charles M. Province

"Long-handled hammers are useful for whacking things you aren't standing right next to. Obviously.

Just like the existence of flamethrowers indicates that someone, somewhere once thought "Hmm, I'd really like that guy over there to be on fire, but I just can't seem to get the job done from here...."
--AlexCrute

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
Great tutorial :P Can we enter this into the Librarium, kikkala?

kikkala

kikkala

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 505 posts
@Midas
Call of chaos is strong indeed. I hope that your cousins chaos will be painted as Word Bearers :tu: .

@Sigismund Himself
My tutorial to Librarium?? Of course! ;)

Edited by kikkala, 04 September 2008 - 02:00 PM.

My Army Blogs
Iron Hands
Word Bearers
Tutorials

aioannou

aioannou

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 285 posts
this tutorial solves my problems on how to paint my night lords.

i will be replacing the Red with blue though.

horus dont smite me :sweat:

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
It has been published. Linky. Many thanks, kikkala.

MonSTeR

MonSTeR

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 300 posts
That's fantastic :)

I have to say, when I saw the first stages I was thinking, "who on earth wants their figures to look like this!?!?!?!?"

By the end of it I'm thinking "I do :lol: Maybe I'll start a Word Bearers army!!!"

wiplash

wiplash

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,284 posts
wow thats really impressive and simple

5th ed SW : 19/4/1 (W/D/L)
6th ed SW : 0/0/1 (W/D/L)

Prophet Trusaed

Prophet Trusaed

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts
I'm thinking I may use a technique based off of this tutorial to do my DIY Choas Beakie Marines chapter. Replace Reds with Oranges, and Red Ink with Yellow Ink. See how it turns out.

Thanks for the inspiration, mate! ;)

lilgrim13

lilgrim13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 38 posts
Just wondering since GW (at least mine) has pulled all of the inks and I don't have any red ink what should I use instead??
Amazing tutorial by the way!! You have lured me into Chaos but I don't see that as being a bad thing!

Edited by lilgrim13, 22 December 2008 - 06:26 PM.

BOBMAKENZIE

BOBMAKENZIE

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,537 posts
I LOVE! :D ;) :wub: The look of the red at stage 8 while the wash is still wet...any idea if you can get that look without it changing once the wash is dry??

Great tutorial and Love the look of your word bearers :)
I'm Open for Commissions PM to find out more.

QUOTE (Angels of Death pg.21)
"There is a mystical streak to many of the Blood Angels' doctrines and also a strong belief that things can be changed for the better. After all, the process of transforming a scavenger into a tall, proud and handsome warrior is living proof of this tenet."

NemFX

NemFX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,407 posts
I prefer step 7 and 8 personally..

.. Monopoly just wasn't the same after I called down an orbital strike on Baltic Avenue.
.. There is no problem that 42 heavy bolters can't cure.

New Reno or Bust - The Enclave thread

Terranis Holds - The Kreig 68th derivatives thread

kikkala

kikkala

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 505 posts
@BOBMAKENZIE
So you're saying that you want it to be "wet" looking all the time? Sorry, I have no clue ;). But if you were talking about the colours shade, lesser wash should do the job.

Because GW has stopped manufacturing the inks, and lilgrim13 asked so kindly, I did a test without the ink:
Posted Image

It's almost the same without the Red Ink.

My Army Blogs
Iron Hands
Word Bearers
Tutorials

BOBMAKENZIE

BOBMAKENZIE

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,537 posts

@BOBMAKENZIE
So you're saying that you want it to be "wet" looking all the time? Sorry, I have no clue :lol:. But if you were talking about the colours shade, lesser wash should do the job.

Its the red man..it reminds me of like a really deep candy apple red on a Hot rod.
I'm Open for Commissions PM to find out more.

QUOTE (Angels of Death pg.21)
"There is a mystical streak to many of the Blood Angels' doctrines and also a strong belief that things can be changed for the better. After all, the process of transforming a scavenger into a tall, proud and handsome warrior is living proof of this tenet."

lilgrim13

lilgrim13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 38 posts

Because GW has stopped manufacturing the inks, and lilgrim13 asked so kindly, I did a test without the ink:

It's almost the same without the Red Ink.

Thank you SOOOO much. That makes my life so much easier not having to scour ebay looking for red ink!!

Again great tutorial and I am super excited to get my first box of chaos!! (although they wont look nearly this good!!)

Edited by lilgrim13, 28 January 2009 - 11:08 PM.

Justin Kase

Justin Kase

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 929 posts
Always liked your Word Bearers (well, since I first saw them ;) ), thanks for sharing the secret behind that sinister red :D

If anyone is looking for Red Ink, Vallejo Game Color has a Red Ink that is pretty comparable (well, when I ran out of GW Ink, it became the replacement).

lilgrim13

lilgrim13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 38 posts
Yea where I live GW colours is basically my only option. I am hitting up a new modeling shop to see if they have any Vallejo so fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice!!

Freakiq

Freakiq

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,672 posts
Tried it with the new red GW wash instead of ink, works just as well without making the model all glossy.

lilgrim13

lilgrim13

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 38 posts
Ahhhh thats good news. I have lots of washes so I will try that!! Thank you for that and I will try out the red wash. I have no idea why I didn't even think of that!!

col.schaefer

col.schaefer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts
when you layer the red gore do you layer the whole model to the color on the pot or do you start your highlights?

chaotic tigermarine

chaotic tigermarine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2 posts
i used chaos black paint strate away with out spray (i personaly think spray ruins it dont know y) then i use blood red on the shins and behind it there gloves and there sholder pads then the helmit back pack and wepons plus any decrative on the sholder pads with chain mail im gonna try yours i just fought you might like to try my idea