=][= ASSAULT ON BLACK REACH PAINTING COMP =][=

ASSAULT ON BLACK REACH PAINTING CONTEST

2. No conversions. Stock miniatures only -- just like you see up in the picture above. No extra parts -- even from the AoBR set. No green stuff. Just the minis and their respective base parts (head, arms, body and base). Decals are okay.

Can we gouge and drill our entries?

ASSAULT ON BLACK REACH PAINTING CONTEST

2. No conversions. Stock miniatures only -- just like you see up in the picture above. No extra parts -- even from the AoBR set. No green stuff. Just the minis and their respective base parts (head, arms, body and base). Decals are okay.

Can we gouge and drill our entries?

we can drill 'em, but im not sure what you meen with gougin

This is very interesting. Posting the image might be hard, but Ill definitely hop at the chance to paint up the termie. Its an excuse to do so, especially since I should be saving for my Renegade Militia, not painting random loyalists.

ill do him in IF colors, as I respect them as a chapter, and have little practice in painting yellow.

All this is as soon as I can finish my ConceptArt COW entry and get a new paint brush. Oh well.

question for IF players- Iyanden Darksun- is it really "all that"?

This is very interesting. Posting the image might be hard, but Ill definitely hop at the chance to paint up the termie.

I don't understand why posting the image will be hard? You just have to attach it to your email and we will post it when the time comes for voting.

I've read the rules several times through to be certain, but they seem to be a bit confusing on a few points.

3. Stock bases that the minis come with only. Plinths are not allowed. Detailing the base is up to you beyond that.

3a. Resin scenic bases are allowed.

So, to clarify, I'm guessing this means that full resin bases are not allowed (as the entry must use the base that comes with the mini) but resin inserts are okay; and while greenstuff isn't allowed on the figure, it is okay to use it in the basing.

2. Somebody else asked about lamposts from the City of Death sprues. Does that constitute "another mini?"

3. "No conversions." I'm not confused by this one, but a few people seem to be planning on chopping up and reposing limbs. I suspect that is not allowed, and that only positioning limbs in ways that are already possible without any cutting is allowed. Correct?

I guess the problem is that the basing options are left very open (which is nice) but the few restrictions that exist aren't well defined. My guess is that the spirit of the rules was as somebody else had stated- "Just assemble the model as-is and paint it." For the record, I'm not trying to find a loophole to exploit. My choice for basing involves some greenstuff, flock, and a few other scratch-built bits, which seems to be allowed by the rules. I just want to be absolutley clear as to what I shouldn't be doing before I accidentally do it.

It is impossible for us to spell out in detail every little nuance that may come up. The hope is that folks will read the rules, get the idea that the contest is "take the basic mini and paint it" and just do it. Sadly after 18 prior contests on this site that still doesn't happen. Hence people getting mackareled.

When we say no conversion we mean it. So if someone chops and moves the body around or tweaks the arms or anything like that then yes they get DQ'd. Take the mini off the sprue, glue it or snap it together, drill the barrel out and paint it. That is what the contest is meant to be.

By standard base we mean 40mm for the Terminator and 28mm for the Nob. We realize folks may want to use these minis in their armies so we have to be a little more open in terms of basing. In the end it is going to come down to the mini being judged not the base.

As for the lamp post -- that isn't another mini that is terrain. As in the example given -- A Tau body, or torso or arm or legs would constitute another mini. Helmet, bolter, knife would not.

As for the lamp post -- that isn't another mini that is terrain. As in the example given -- A Tau body, or torso or arm or legs would constitute another mini. Helmet, bolter, knife would not.

Just to make sure, that means we can use the little skull with the bullet hole that comes in the sprue when you get the white dwarf?

It is impossible for us to spell out in detail every little nuance that may come up. The hope is that folks will read the rules, get the idea that the contest is "take the basic mini and paint it" and just do it. Sadly after 18 prior contests on this site that still doesn't happen. Hence people getting mackareled.

True enough.

When we say no conversion we mean it. So if someone chops and moves the body around or tweaks the arms or anything like that then yes they get DQ'd. Take the mini off the sprue, glue it or snap it together, drill the barrel out and paint it. That is what the contest is meant to be.

By standard base we mean 40mm for the Terminator and 28mm for the Nob. We realize folks may want to use these minis in their armies so we have to be a little more open in terms of basing. In the end it is going to come down to the mini being judged not the base.

That is pretty much how I interpreted things. I'm actually excited about it, too- it's been a long time since the GDs "Single Figure Category" was actually just a single figure on its supplied base with no plinths or conversions. (Something I wish they'd go back to, too, but I don't see that happening any time soon.)

may i ask what the prizes are for this event

Did you even read the rules?

Hint..Read the rules...

:D

read......uuurrrgggghhhhhh......me brain no work for good to read thing what tell stuff......

but seriously, i look forward to entering and voting in this contest. good luck all :)

<Cracks knuckles> Ok, bring on the pain!

Got 20 of the Assault on Black Reach TDA to paint before a tournament in October anyway so this is perfick! :)

May even attempt the Ork too...xenos filth that it is! Hahahah! :P

Best of luck all, and may the best Battle Captain win ;)

This is very interesting. Posting the image might be hard, but Ill definitely hop at the chance to paint up the termie. Its an excuse to do so, especially since I should be saving for my Renegade Militia, not painting random loyalists.

ill do him in IF colors, as I respect them as a chapter, and have little practice in painting yellow.

All this is as soon as I can finish my ConceptArt COW entry and get a new paint brush. Oh well.

question for IF players- Iyanden Darksun- is it really "all that"?

oh well, i don't think Iyanden Darksun is all that good, after all it doesn't look even yellow, sadly it's more light brown, but You should give it a try anyway, maybe not on Your entry for this competition.

I'm painting up both the termie and the ork and i'll choose the one to submit when they are both finished.

I'm painting the termie as a black templar for my army but I've noticed that painting this plastic is a little tricky because the paint tends to run off the mini, especially white one.

Anyhow good luck :lol:

I'm painting up both the termie and the ork and i'll choose the one to submit when they are both finished.

I'm painting the termie as a black templar for my army but I've noticed that painting this plastic is a little tricky because the paint tends to run off the mini, especially white one.

Thats just grease or casting residue on the sprues, easy enough to solve. Simply wash your sprues in warm water with some washing up liquid and a toothbrush thats all :lol:

Archived