Iron Scythes Space Marine Chapter [Added Company Banner]

Drathmere

I've finally uploaded a few pictures of my Iron Scythes chapter. I started playing the game in RT days and have evolved this color scheme from a rather garish earlier one! I could put together a rather nice pre heresy detachment out of my old rhinos, predators, and marines. I am still thinking up the fluff for the chapter after 15 years of gaming with

it! I hope you all enjoy it. I can post more if you'd like to see more of the army.

gallery_37077_2542_36600.jpg

gallery_37077_2542_24043.jpg

gallery_37077_2542_9638.jpg

gallery_37077_2542_12143.jpggallery_37077_2542_39339.jpg

I've added some more images for reference. When I started painting I had terminators and beakies from the RT days. When the new armor style came out I established some rules to help me paint. Basically powered armor was going to be the reddish color (ral partha Hell Hound Red) and terminator armor and shoulder pads would be dark brown (Ral Partha Dark Brown) When the new style shoulder pads came out I added Golden yellow for the trim. I love the dark angels back story, so when I had the opportunity to add units with robes I added a sort of dirty linen color for them. All of my tanks are Dark Brown like the terminator armor because I figured terminators were basically like tanks! I had no idea my old rhinos were now considered heresy era rhinos, but I like the extra history. When I bought my first jump packs I decided that all squad leaders would have red trim rather than golden yellow, but I haven't followed that fully. In Terms of fluff I decided on the Iron Scythes name before I learned that in Latin it was Ferum Falx, which does not sound too great. I am planning on a big banner painting session which will incorporate the Chapter's name in latin.

gallery_37077_2542_24745.jpg

gallery_37077_2542_2747.jpg

gallery_37077_2542_11608.jpg

gallery_37077_2542_6951.jpg

gallery_37077_2542_18005.jpg

gallery_37077_2542_352.jpg

I had to add some beakies! These are my first powered armored marines. They have been updated over time but can't hold a candle to the new plastics

gallery_37077_2542_16624.jpg

I just added some codex standard chaplains and librarians. My other miniatures are painted in random custom schemes as befits chapter heros!

gallery_37077_2542_26908.jpg

The vehicles are old games workshop kits, so I guess they are heresy era now!

gallery_37077_2542_2896.jpg

I love the look of rust as well, since it goes with the whole ancient powered armor thing. It does seem weird to have a bunch of rusty marines though..sort of verging on chaos. I tried to add ultra-marines like elements since I like the whole legion aspect present in that army. It is probably time for me to write up some fluff so I can use it to justify some more characterful pieces. I've been thinking about green-stuffing my old 'chuck' dreadnought and painting him up with the skill I have now rather than the skill I had as a 16 year old. I am just not sure what to do with him. The armament does not fit any known loadout, but I am not sure I want to drastically alter a historic miniature. You can't see it in the photo, but the figure is labeled 'rusty rob'

gallery_37077_2542_9735.jpg

Nice. I like that you found a way to go with a less ostentatious paint scheme... without resorting to gray or black. I don't know exactly why, but I always prefer the look of 40k powered armour with a tabard. (If it covers the torso, it's a tabard I believe. But I don't know what you call it if it just hangs from the belt. Regardless, I like that look.)

I'm thinking of getting some minis and painting them my own self. However, I don't play and don't have much interest in playing, so I might need help making squads that make sense.

I'm still grinning Johnny Mohawk's earlier comment:

How can you people tell they are older Terminators?

My first clue was the fact that they were shouting, "Get off my space lawn! Get off my space lawn... for The Emperor!"

-Pirate Dan

All of the boxed sets are squads now. GW has gone away from blisters for almost everything. If you want an inexpensive way to paint with some trial miniatures, pick up the current issue of white dwarf. It comes with a terminator and an ork. The are both pretty nice, though there is much less detail than the older minis. If you like tabards, then dark angles or one of their successor chapters is the way to go. I keep almost buying the set just to paint them. I did pick up a bunch of veterans in powered armor with cool robe like things. I just have been focusing on the terms. I managed to paint two more of yesterday, though they are less individualized and I was mainly painting them to just have them done in case I need to field them Friday. I have a land raider to paint but have fallen behind on it as well.

I was thinking about army fluff today and wondered how the blood angels could have a chapter only STC baal predator, and still have Adeptus Mechanicus backing? Wouldn't the AD just withhold tech marine training and spare parts until they were given the STC design?

I painted this tonight so you could see it dan. A little rushed.

gallery_37077_2542_26542.jpg

The terms I painted yesturday

gallery_37077_2542_29458.jpg

This guy might see some use now that cyclone missile launchers are heavy 2

gallery_37077_2542_32011.jpg

I might do that, pick up a copy of White Dwarf.

Is that a Mk II (Crusader) in the back left of the latest non-terminator pic? Is there any in-game difference between different models of armour, or is it just a matter of aesthetic?

As for the Blood Angels' STC Baal predator, I'm no expert. However, I seem to remember something about the Mechanicum being rather miffed at at least one chapter (possibly legion) for some variation on the predator.

Part of me wants to go ahead and make a Chaos army. But I don't think I will. The part of my brain that, when I used to teach improv, chastised people for going for the dick jokes is annoyed that another part of my brain (pretty much the rest of my brain save the "barbecue knowledge lobe") can't seem to let go of the idea that Slaaneshi marines would have rather... um... frightening additions to their armour. For better or worse, I don't think I'm ever going to go there. It just seems that Chaos should be more imaginative that mere sticking the same horns, spikes and skulls on everything.

Also, I was thinking of a chapter called "The Led". Or possibly "The Leaderians", and they could refer to The Emperor as "The Leader". Just to exasperate you-know-who.

Yep, that is an MK II suited mini. I'll try to put together a photo of all the old MK models so you can see the heresy era stuff. I am going to use the older MKs as veterans. Another option for you pirate dan, is to build a renegade chapter that did not fall to chaos, just decided to leave the imperium.

I do want to drill the gun barrels, just haven't gotten around to buying a drill yet! :tu:

Neat. I like the idea of the veterans having the old suits, but suits as old as mk II... to me it seems the equivalent of arming elite us troops with Colt 1851 Navy Revovlers-- beautiful, priceless old guns that I'd love to own... but I'd much rather use something more modern if I actually had to use it for something other than target practice or pointing to it and saying "isn't it neat!?" (note, as far as I know, they aren't actually priceless, not by a long shot. But they are out of my price range.)

Yeah, I'd drill out the gun barrels. I have a DeWalt that's a bit big and clumsy for that job, but I'd probably give it a try. You should get yourself a Dremel tool. Also useful for working on some of the vehicle models, I'm told.

Yarrr.

I've added 5 new miniatures to the army, including an MK 3 powered armor plasma gunner. These guys will be sternguard,vanguard, or sergeants. I forgot to use red instead of yellow to denote their rank, but so be it. I won my local stores Assault on Black Reach painting competition, so now I have a whole new box of terminators in addition to the AoBR box set ones. However there is a competition for whole box painting that I may have to get into. I just don't fancy painting all of those orks! So the big question is, should I wash over the large white tabard like things? I am not sold on my layering as it stand and love the way the terminator captains robe came out. What I tried to do was treat the white areas like purity seals, but my fake text looked horrible.

gallery_37077_2542_28072.jpg

gallery_37077_2542_11248.jpg

gallery_37077_2542_13946.jpg

gallery_37077_2542_39997.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet Zombie Jesus! I checked out the base of the Dreadnought, like you suggested on the phone today. That freakin' rules! Is that part of the model or did you add that.

I'm liking this idea of coming down for a weekend of drinkin'-&-paintin'. I haven't seen either of you in far too long. Also... drinkin'-&-paintin'!!

The base it comes with is really plain, but I have an old box of plastic skeletons that I have been chopping up and putting on all of the bases these days. The rocks are rocks painted to look like fake rocks! There is a competition at the end of the month for whole painted boxed sets of Black Reach. The rules don't allow conversions, but you can base any way you like. I only have three more orks to go!

You should definitely come on down and paint, hang out, and drink old scotch. We could even get a friendly game of 40k together at the GW store. The game is so much better than it was years ago.

I really like your colour scheme. I've not seen anything close to the colours you're using and that's a very good thing in my opinion. I'm amazed at the pace you produce figures - I'm still only a quarter the way through painting five Chaos Terminators that I started this month. Very good work!

You want to repaint the old dread and use him... no alterations... easy, peasy... repaint in a new scheme and use it, along with a few extra marines as a 'Lost and the Damned' unit that shows up at your chapter's battles. The rules for this are included in the new Codex: Space Marines.

Just a thought,

Rymeer

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure about the old dred. It is miscast, and really does not look that good without a lot of battle damage. I've been having the similar question with my old rhinos. They are basically preheresy now, which would save me a lot of trouble with a new PH army if I did not keep heavily converting them. (Just bought some bits to turn one into a razorback or newish style predator)

Anyone feel like helping me out with some Iron Scythes fluff?

Some old minis repainted

gallery_37077_2542_37904.jpg

So I won the AoBR painting competition for our local store. There were 5 competitors, all of whom deserve credit! I won and ork truck and a razor back, a totally awesome prize. However I had just stayed up until 1:00 AM converting an old pred into a razorback so I could use it in a game. After the judging an impromptu orks versus marines battle took place with the marines holding a hardened city quarter surrounded by orks. The marines were bound to loose given the 5+ war bosses, 80 plus orks, 5+ nobs squads and 12 deathcopters, versus 20 tactical marines, three term squads, and two dreads. It was really fun to play a loosing battle where it was just a matter of time before the orks overcame our defenses!

In terms of fluff I am trying to work it in with the painting and conversion that I have done. My brainstorming so far is that they have ultra-marine and imperial fist iconography, but a huge amount of working heresy era equipment. Maybe their fluff should be written from the perspective of an inquisitor wondering about this. A sinister non sanctioned founding by the ad mec could play into it. It would give a reason why they can still field such old technology. The Random assortment of armor and equipment could be due to it being secondhand returns to the Ad Mec from failed chapters.

Pre-Heresy Rhino Converted into a Razor Back using predator, rhino, and razorback bits. I am still weathering this and will post updated pics once I've settled on the next step. The important part was getting it ready to game!

gallery_37077_2542_32921.jpg

gallery_37077_2542_33433.jpg

gallery_37077_2542_16768.jpg

Archived