Using the Loyalist codex to represent Night Lords

Monkeychunks

I played berserkers when they had 2+ armour and were frenzied. I played berserkers when they had +1 attack and the champion had S5. I played berserkers when they had +1 attack and blood frenzy. The WS5 and furious charge is not what makes them berserkers in my yes. The lack of fearlessness on markes CSM units is unfortunate, but other than that any Chaos marine with 2 attacks makes a suitable berserker. Certainly better than units with 1 base attack and ATSKNF from Codex Blood Angels.

Having a World Eaters army of Marines with Icon of Khorne would be as stupid as having a Blood Angels army that is just the regular mairne codex but with everyone having bp/cc weapon instead of bolters and a red paint job.

Of course, Blood Angels tactical squads and devastator squads have boltguns.

Of course, Blood Angels tactical squads and devastator squads have boltguns.

The thing that define blood angels and make them different from any other chapter/legion are stuff like death company, overcharged vehicles, furioso dreadnoughts, and lots of assault troops. Thats the point. If they don't have their defining units and rules they are just ultra marines with a different paint job. Nothing wrong with Ultra marines, but they are not blood angels.

Icon of Khorne on vanilla marines, terminators, or raptors does not equal world eaters. There have been plenty of threads and rants on icons so i won't open that can of worms. WS5 and furious charge is not what makes them berserkers in my list either. What makes them berserkers is that they are better in cc than other marines by a rather large margin, have no real ranged capability, and don't run away. This has remained true in all the versions of berserkers, as you have illustrated above. Marines with Icon of Khorne have only 1 of the three traits of berserkers, and they stop having that if the icon dies which means they make even less sense.

Think this whole thing has gotten way off topic. The idea and question posed was to gauge the response of someone using the SM dex to run a chaos legion. It definitely is varied, some think its fine, and some are staunchly against. Lets keep this on topic and keep the codex bashing for another post ;)

Reigning in my own topic a bit..

I want to make this perfectly clear, that I am NOT advocating use for every Legion. The Chaos codex, while not perfect, can do a closer representation of most Legions just because the fundamentals are in place.

The 4 Cult armies, Black Legion, and Word Bearers would work best under the normal codex. These guys either need the better combat (World Eaters), the Daemons (Word Bearers), the mish mash (Black Legion) or the funky rules (4++, Sonics, T5 etc.).

However, if you play the more standard Legions (Alpha Legion, Night Lords, or Iron Warriors) then I think the new codex is a valid army list, because the fundamentals are very similar, with far more embellishments and options.

Reigning in my own topic a bit..

I want to make this perfectly clear, that I am NOT advocating use for every Legion. The Chaos codex, while not perfect, can do a closer representation of most Legions just because the fundamentals are in place.

The 4 Cult armies, Black Legion, and Word Bearers would work best under the normal codex. These guys either need the better combat (World Eaters), the Daemons (Word Bearers), the mish mash (Black Legion) or the funky rules (4++, Sonics, T5 etc.).

However, if you play the more standard Legions (Alpha Legion, Night Lords, or Iron Warriors) then I think the new codex is a valid army list, because the fundamentals are very similar, with far more embellishments and options.

I dont think the chaos codex represents the legions you mentioned well overall. I do however 100% agree with you that the SM codex doenst represent them any better and in fact in most cases, much worse.

There is no way that word bearers can be represented with any form of fluff or anything involved at all. This is unless of course you run pre-hersey WB and in this case i would have to mock you in front of your own mother unless they were painted appropriately :yes:

Make your SM list man, i think it would do well but remember the people who say its ok, when you play against them. Dont let them down and just run the list to pull the new shineys out of that dex, keep it fluffy and fun and i think everything would be great.

How are Blood Angels in any way suited to represent World Eaters? World Eaters got more diverse with the current Codex Chaos than they previously were. The previous Codex had Berserkers, berserkers on Bikes, and Berserker Chosen/Terminators. The khornified CSM units in the new Codex are not fearless unfortunately, but now you can even field reasonably priced World Eater Assault Squads (without paying 43+ points for winged chosen or possessed) and World Eaters Havocs (also known as the teeth or Khorne in the old World Eaters army list in Realms of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness, back when khorne was a god of warfare). And everyone claiming World Eaters don't use tanks should take a look at the list of khorne war machines from epic 40K.

Key word Berserkers. Having a World Eaters army of Marines with Icon of Khorne would be as stupid as having a Blood Angels army that is just the regular mairne codex but with everyone having bp/cc weapon instead of bolters and a red paint job. And i can't remember anybody claiming world eaters don't use tanks.

Sorry- im confused. How is having World Eaters army of Marines with Icons of Khorne stupid?

How are Blood Angels in any way suited to represent World Eaters? World Eaters got more diverse with the current Codex Chaos than they previously were. The previous Codex had Berserkers, berserkers on Bikes, and Berserker Chosen/Terminators. The khornified CSM units in the new Codex are not fearless unfortunately, but now you can even field reasonably priced World Eater Assault Squads (without paying 43+ points for winged chosen or possessed) and World Eaters Havocs (also known as the teeth or Khorne in the old World Eaters army list in Realms of Chaos: Slaves to Darkness, back when khorne was a god of warfare). And everyone claiming World Eaters don't use tanks should take a look at the list of khorne war machines from epic 40K.

Key word Berserkers. Having a World Eaters army of Marines with Icon of Khorne would be as stupid as having a Blood Angels army that is just the regular mairne codex but with everyone having bp/cc weapon instead of bolters and a red paint job. And i can't remember anybody claiming world eaters don't use tanks.

Sorry- im confused. How is having World Eaters army of Marines with Icons of Khorne stupid?

I think he means because of the Icon rules. I.e. if the Icon Bearer dies, your squad is suddenly not 'berzerkers/affiliated with Khorne' anymore.

Don't know about all you others, but I personally find it a crying shame that certain Chaos legions can be better represented by a Loyalist codex.

My advice is NOT to do it. I won't feel right.

Odly enough some members that (rightfully IMHO) considered the latest Chaos codex 'unfluffy' are now supporting this idea.

Strange.

Anyway, I won't do it even though the new SM codex is loaded with wonderful options and tidbits I'd love to integrate in my (bland) Chaos army. In fact some of the options are obviously more suited to a Chaos army anyway.

Oh well, we might get lucky one of this days.

I'd like to give my 2 Kraks as to which units in C:SM that I think fits in a Night Lords list, using the new C:SM.

Edit: (some knowledge of Lord of the Night and the new SM Codex is required to understand my reasoning)

Here we go:

HQ

Chapter Master

The Orbital strike is debatable as it could count as a strategic bombing/lightning attack.

Captain

- Ws6 - just like a Chaos Lord

- Wargear: Almost identical save for no Daemon Weapon and an Iron Halo instead of the 5++

Now here's the kicker:

- If he takes a bike, Bikes may be taken as Troops

- Chaplain (Dark Preacher)

- Makes unit with him Fearless

who's to say that the NL Chaplains haven't turned the Haunter's creed into a religion of it's own?

Borderline but, I know at least one NL player who has chaplains in his fluff and who's to say that they all died.

- Librarian (Sorceror)

Wargear: force weapon and Psy-hood.

Powers: Sadly there's no Fear of the Darkness anymore (one of the reasons I've tried using Codex: BA) but, apart from that, the psy-powers could count as anything.

Master of the Forge

Doesn't really fit in.

Command Squad (Chosen/Retinue for your Captain)

- May only be taken by captains.

- Can have bikes.

- May NOT take jump packs (sadly)

Honour Guard (Retinue for your CM)

- May only be taken if a Chapter Master is present in the army.

- May NOT take Storm Shields or Jump packs.

Captain Kor’Sarro Khan

Counts as Captain Shang - Equerry to the Night Haunter.

Captain Kayvaan Shrike

Counts as Zso Sahaal - The Talonmaster.

Chapter Master Pedro Cantor

Counts as Vyridium Silvadi - Lord of the Fleet.

Chapter Master Marneus Calgar

Counts as Tarraq Darkblood - Warleader of the Nightlords.

Chaplain Ortan Cassius

See my comment about chaplains.

Chief Librarian Tigurius

Could count as Sorceror Asuramandos.

Captain Danarth Lysander:

Could count as Quissax Kergai - Master of the Armoury

Captain Cato Sicarius

Count as Captain Veert

Forgefather Vulkan He'stan

Doesn't fit in.

Brother Chronus

Doesn't fit in.

Scout Sergeant Telion

Doesn't fit in.

Elites

Sternguard Veterans

Ranged Chosen.

Dreadnought

Standard.

Venerable Dreadnought:

Standard.

Ironclad Dreadnought (Ancient):

Think Koor Mass from Lord of the Night.

Terminators(5-10)

Standard.

Assault Terminators:

Standard.

Techmarine:

Doesn't fit in.

Legion of the Damned

Doesn't fit in.

Troops

Tactical Marines:

Eschew plasma cannons, storm bolters etc. and you have your run of the mill Astartes.

Scouts:

- Have the Scout, Infiltrate & Combat Squads special rules.

Use them as cultists, otherwise: doesn't fit in.

Rhino:

Standard.

Razorback:

Doesn't fit in.

Drop Pod:

Very fluffy, and something Chaos should have had to begin with.

Fast Attack

Bikes:

Standard

Attack Bikes:

Doesn't fit in.

Scout Bikes:

Doesn't fit in.

Assault Marines:

- May remove jump packs and get a free rhino, razorback or drop pod in return.

Raptors with the option to swap for a transport!

Vanguard Veterans:

Raptor Veterans.

Land Speeders:

Doesn't fit in.

Land Speeder Storm:

Doesn't fit in.

Heavy Support

Thunderfire Cannon, Artillery.

Doesn't fit in.

Predator:

Standard.

Vindicator:

Standard.

Devastators (Havocs):

Standard if you eschew the use of plasma-cannons.

Whirlwind:

Doesn't fit in.

Land Raider

Standard.

Land Raider Crusader

Doesn't fit in.

Land Raider Redeemer

Doesn't fit in.

Overall I find that the options to define your army/list by using abilities like Outflank etc. adds a lot of flavour, something that the current C:CSM has little of.

That's my 2 Kraks.

I dont think the chaos codex represents the legions you mentioned well overall. I do however 100% agree with you that the SM codex doenst represent them any better and in fact in most cases, much worse.

There is no way that word bearers can be represented with any form of fluff or anything involved at all.

I think word bearers can be represented fairly well. It just takes some thinking outside the box and some counts as. You're not going to get things exact, but you can mimic things.

Take a Dark Apostle for example.

Under the current Chaos Codex I'd represent him like this:

Chaos Terminator Sorcerer

- force weapon or power weapon

- warptime

- mark of tzeentch (combined with termi armor to mimic the 4+ inv)

- personal icon

It's not perfect. Some people have a real issue with the mark, but all it really is spending 30 points for a better inv save.

In the current SM codex I can do this:

Epistolary

- iron halo

- veil of time

- artificer armor (largely just to match the 2+/4+ above)

Not perfect either. Probably a little worse because of the missing icon, but it's workable.

After the apostle the only real obstacle is what to do for daemons. Count as deep striking assault marines is really all you can do. They're pretty close to the old bloodletter's statline, but lack powerweapons and an inv save. But this is under the current dex. The new SM dex offers a few more things - like Vanguard vets deepstriking and being able to assault.

For me I think the attraction to either SM dex for my Word Bearers is driven by just a couple of things. The first is that since you already have to fudge around in the CSM dex to get a reasonable facsimile of Word Bearers it opens the door to doing something else. Since they don't have any decent generic lesser daemon models I've already starting counts as shenanigans with bloodletters (I like the new plastics). In terms of toys/capabilities it's really just dreadnoughts that work and drop pods that I like. I get the fluff objection to dreadnoughts without mental problems and I wouldn't mind using the old 3.5 frenzy chart even in combination with a SM dex just for the flavor. It's the new chart that bugs me. I don't see a fluff objection to drop pods. They were featured in Dark Apostle and that's good enough for me. I think they're left out of the CSM dex for balance not fluff.

Anyway, it's all theoryhammer right now. I glanced through the new SM dex at my LGS, but I didn't study it. There was just the one copy and other people wanted to look at it too. Maybe when I get my copy next month I'll find that the librarian just can't do an Apostle justice and that will be the end of it for me. Or maybe not.

There is no way that word bearers can be represented with any form of fluff or anything involved at all.

I think word bearers can be represented fairly well. It just takes some thinking outside the box and some counts as. You're not going to get things exact, but you can mimic things.

Take a Dark Apostle for example.

Under the current Chaos Codex I'd represent him like this:

Chaos Terminator Sorcerer

- warptime

- mark of tzeentch (combined with termi armor to mimic the 4+ inv)

- personal icon

It's not perfect. Some people have a real issue with the mark, but all it really is spending 30 points for a better inv save.

In the current SM codex I can do this:

Epistolary

- iron halo

- veil of time

- artificer armor (largely just to match the 2+/4+ above)

Not perfect either. Probably a little worse because of the missing icon, but it's workable.

After the apostle the only real obstacle is what to do for daemons. Count as deep striking assault marines is really all you can do. They're pretty close to the old bloodletter's statline, but lack powerweapons and an inv save. But this is under the current dex. The new SM dex offers a few more things - like Vanguard vets deepstriking and being able to assault.

For me I think the attraction to either SM dex for my Word Bearers is driven by just a couple of things. The first is that since you already have to fudge around in the CSM dex to get a reasonable facsimile of Word Bearers it opens the door to doing something else. Since they don't have any decent generic lesser daemon models I've already starting counts as shenanigans with bloodletters (I like the new plastics). In terms of toys/capabilities it's really just dreadnoughts that work and drop pods that I like. I get the fluff objection to dreadnoughts without mental problems and I wouldn't mind using the old 3.5 frenzy chart even in combination with a SM dex just for the flavor. It's the new chart that bugs me. I don't see a fluff objection to drop pods. They were featured in Dark Apostle and that's good enough for me. I think they're left out of the CSM dex for balance not fluff.

Anyway, it's all theoryhammer right now. I glanced through the new SM dex at my LGS, but I didn't study it. There was just the one copy and other people wanted to look at it too. Maybe when I get my copy next month I'll find that the librarian just can't do an Apostle justice and that will be the end of it for me. Or maybe not.

I really see what you are saying BUT, the issue i still have is alot of this seems to deal more with the power of a particular unit vs the fluff of a unit. Assualt terms is way way over the top as a counts as unit of daemons, even as is i would still take the normal daemons over them anyhow being troop units and all.

Ive never actually run my leader as a sorcerer, its never really dawned on me at all for some reason. I think im going to try that out without the mark of tzeentch of course :o

All in all the chaos dex doenst hurt the word bearers the worst, but it definitely doenst do us justice either. We were actually fairly well off compared to other legions in my opinion, though the generic daemons really put the spurs to us.

I use all my old daemons as counts as generics...If someone has an issue with my 400$'s of daemons sitting in a box almost never used except in larger point games, then they can just shove off.

The marine dex looks like a pile of fun, i actually played against it a few times last weekend. I even put together a list and ran it myself and i had a blast with the pile of options and other nifty stuffz.

As a piece of advice for ways to theme your army as a Night Lords player, Captain Sicarius enables a single Tactical squad to have a veteran skill, one of which is infiltrate. Now imagine a full Tactical squad with Rhino coming on the flank of an opponents!

Other obvious choice would be the apparent Captain with bike making Bikers as Troops. This would be my choice as although I don't mind the army being such a count as (well it's wrong but no other option), a special character is a little too far.

But then it's your money and army so what ever.

Or you could just represent the Apostle with a Chaplain..

Since thats what they actually are.

A Chapter Master makes a good Dark Apostle; has a 4+ save, is a beast in CC and (probably) can have a relic blade, plus can call down an orbital strike. Think of it as him praying to his dark masters and them answering him...

I really see what you are saying BUT, the issue i still have is alot of this seems to deal more with the power of a particular unit vs the fluff of a unit. Assualt terms is way way over the top as a counts as unit of daemons, even as is i would still take the normal daemons over them anyhow being troop units and all.

I never suggested assault termies, but I was going to. When you look for things in the loyalist book that allow some form of deepstriking without a pod, there isn't much to choose from. I thought about assault termies because I could teleport them in using a teleport homer on the HQ as a faux personal icon. The problem comes with the strength of the termies themselves as they are more powerful than the daemonic fauna we've had before. But really, with the infinite variety of the warp, is there no room for a daemon that fits between greater and lesser? Can there not be a median daemon?

Ive never actually run my leader as a sorcerer, its never really dawned on me at all for some reason. I think im going to try that out without the mark of tzeentch of course :(

C'mon, give into the mark. It's only 30 points and it doesn't hurt one bit....

All in all the chaos dex doenst hurt the word bearers the worst, but it definitely doenst do us justice either.

Agreed.

s a piece of advice for ways to theme your army as a Night Lords player, Captain Sicarius enables a single Tactical squad to have a veteran skill, one of which is infiltrate. Now imagine a full Tactical squad with Rhino coming on the flank of an opponents!

Now imagine three full squads of Chaos Veterans each being equipped with up to 5 special weapons and special ccws coming over the flank.

Since when are dark apostles psykers? Give a Chaos General a Mark of Tzeentch, a personal Icon and a Powerweapon and you have a model with Crozius and Rosarius, which is fearless and can summon waves of demons. It seems to be an obvious choice, but the problem seems to be that it is not the most powerful model you can find (like dark apostles appearently have to be for some people :( ). Put him in a unit of possessed and say that the fearlessnes, S5 and invulnerable save comes from his inspiring presence, infusing his retinue with daemonic energies.

Now imagine three full squads of Chaos Veterans each being equipped with up to 5 special weapons and special ccws coming over the flank.

Ouch, never thought of that! Though of course you couldn't be taking the Vanguard Veterans, Stern Guard, all those bikers and scouts and drop pods etc.

I never suggested assault termies, but I was going to. When you look for things in the loyalist book that allow some form of deepstriking without a pod, there isn't much to choose from. I thought about assault termies because I could teleport them in using a teleport homer on the HQ as a faux personal icon. The problem comes with the strength of the termies themselves as they are more powerful than the daemonic fauna we've had before. But really, with the infinite variety of the warp, is there no room for a daemon that fits between greater and lesser? Can there not be a median daemon?

Ive never actually run my leader as a sorcerer, its never really dawned on me at all for some reason. I think im going to try that out without the mark of tzeentch of course :P

C'mon, give into the mark. It's only 30 points and it doesn't hurt one bit....

All in all the chaos dex doenst hurt the word bearers the worst, but it definitely doenst do us justice either.

Agreed.

Sorry you said assault marines not assault terms, i misread.

No marks in my word bearer lists sorry, i just cant do it...I apsolutely hate nothing more than marks in a word bearer army, this is something i could never comprimise, 5++ or 4++ no biggie to me and not worth degrading myself :P

I dont really use alot of daemons anymore. I use some when my points start to hit 1850+, but 1500 and less i almost never use em. I stick to my good ole fasioned base chaos marine with a rhino. Love the idea of the sorc though, this really intrigues me.

s a piece of advice for ways to theme your army as a Night Lords player, Captain Sicarius enables a single Tactical squad to have a veteran skill, one of which is infiltrate. Now imagine a full Tactical squad with Rhino coming on the flank of an opponents!

Since when are dark apostles psykers? Give a Chaos General a Mark of Tzeentch, a personal Icon and a Powerweapon and you have a model with Crozius and Rosarius, which is fearless and can summon waves of demons. It seems to be an obvious choice, but the problem seems to be that it is not the most powerful model you can find (like dark apostles appearently have to be for some people :P ). Put him in a unit of possessed and say that the fearlessnes, S5 and invulnerable save comes from his inspiring presence, infusing his retinue with daemonic energies.

Since when does a dark apostle have the mark of tzeentch??? You are using an arguement hard saying that they arnt sorcerers, but then you go and give the mark of tzeentch to a lord and call him the same. Counts as is counts as is it not? Im sure hes been blessed with certain abilities or luck from various gods and what-not. The fact that you are willing to comprimise fluff with a mark but not with a sorcerer makes zero sense to me. Not trying to be a butt about it, but halfways dont work in my book, its one or the other, it cant be ok one way but not the other even though both comprimise fluff. Just my two cents bro.

Now Imagine the following, your entire army, with their dedicated transports, gaining outflank for the cost of about 160. EVERY SINGLE UNIT that is NOT a vehicle... imagine the possibilities.

Imagine that character has furious charge, and gives it to his unit, imagine this character could have some kinda wierd power weapon that causes instant death on wound's of "6", or for just 45 more points could also get a bike with fleet (yeah wierd)

I give to you, Kahn.

The marine codex "Anything you can do, I can do better".

An all outflanking army.... That sounds HIGHLY Alpha Legion to me... oh and he can make bikes troops too... so works for NL as well.

I am going to seriously going to look into Codex non-spikey-marines when it comes out... why? Cause hey look I can field my legion like I want to! fun =P

Now not to be all doom and gloom about the Chaos codex, it does have one really good high point, if you ignore fluff, then the you can use their highly specialized troop choices, to occupy objectives, and still be really good at what they do =P

Since when are dark apostles psykers? Give a Chaos General a Mark of Tzeentch, a personal Icon and a Powerweapon and you have a model with Crozius and Rosarius, which is fearless and can summon waves of demons. It seems to be an obvious choice, but the problem seems to be that it is not the most powerful model you can find (like dark apostles appearently have to be for some people :P ).

Since I read Dark Apostle, that's when. That particular aspect of the Apostle was not incorporated into the older dex in the form of a rule, but I liked it and thought it fit the portrayal of a mystic leader of a host leading them according to his visions. It's not really about power, because I could drop the whole thing and make the Pouncing Proslytizers with a pair of princes instead. If there were actual rules in the current dex that described a Dark Apostle, then that is what I would follow. But because there aren't any, I have to make do. As long as I make do, I might as well indulge myself and make my Apostle like Jarulek, the Apostle featured in the book.

No, I guess you could not take those units. In your chaos space marine army. Oh the humanity.

<_<

Hey I don't like the poor Chaos boys suffering under "rubbish Codex Syndrome" any more and having to use another army for count as purposes, but let's be honest, as a Loyalist player, I think most of the non-cult Legions are better repersented by the Space Marine Codex.

Besides, the less people who use the current Chaos Space Marines Codex the more likely GW will bring in a replacement (remember 3rd edition to 3.5?)

If you agree with the "counts as" rule in general i really dont see why anyone should have any objection to chaos players using the marine codex. If the army is all chosen from one codex it will still be legal and no different to one painted in marine colours. Therefore its not like chaos players are trying to seize an unfair advantage over others because they could potentially face the same army anyway!

There is not one "correct" interpretation of the fluff and the background for each army differs even if they are from the same legion. For instance, take Night Lords. Some people see them as a fast attack legion and some of GW background like in 3.5 codex supports this. Others see them as a legion based around fear tactics and this is supported in the 2nd ed codex and lord of the night. Other people see them as very good at infiltrating and spreading fear and insurgency before striking and this too is supported in some of the fluff, take a look at the chaos section with Huron Blackheart in the 5ed rulebook. Some people like to use all three of these aspects in their army! Im not saying that anything goes, simply that there are different passages of background text that sometimes dont always agree with others on various armies. Therefore there is no right interpretation and i think people should except this rather than saying "No, thats not a fluffy nightlord force because it doesnt have raptors!" or the like when something doesn't fit the perceived stereotype.

So if i personally feel that the background for my individual army that ive made and created a background for is better represented by using the marine codex which i think nearly everyone accepts has far more options for creating more interesting and varied forces than the present chaos codex, why shouldnt i be able to?

Archived