Using the Loyalist codex to represent Night Lords

Monkeychunks

That's why I don't use the new codex, and refuse to buy another GW product until they provide me with an army list that I feel someone has actually taken some time to think about; because I really don't care that much. Obviously.

So, you are not currently playing chaos space marines. Over there is joe, who also played for some years, and continues to play with the current codex. Are you the more serious player than him?

Where did I say that? I never made the claim that people who get something out of or are content to use the new codex are more or less "serious" in their passion for the hobby than I was. I was merely pointing out how ludicrous your earlier assertion was that those who refuse to use the current codex or have quit the hobby on the basis of their disappointment with the new codex are somehow less passionate or less dedicated to the hobby itself.

As an aside, you will find that all of the criticisms I personally make regarding the new codex are exactly that; they are critical and considered analyses of the codex's content; not spurious personal attacks against those who happen to enjoy using it. I know why I don't like it, and that is largely because it has reduced much of the grandeur and mythos of chaos down to a matter of mechanistic simplicity; removing elements that made playing chaos fun and interesting in preference to game playing expediency. I am of the opinion that this COULD have been done without totally removing elements such as daemonic rewards, god specific vehicle upgrades, various daemons etc simply by refining their specific rules and limiting their availability. I am still at a loss to determine why this wasn't done, especially with consideration towards the options-heavy Eldar, Orc and up-coming Space Marine codicies.

Where did I say that? I never made the claim that people who get something out of or are content to use the new codex are more or less "serious" in their passion for the hobby than I was.

You were mocking and disagreeing with my point, which was to disagree with the original statement that the serious players quit because of the current codex. So, yes, you kinda did.

I was merely pointing out how ludicrous your earlier assertion was that those who refuse to use the current codex or have quit the hobby on the basis of their disappointment with the new codex are somehow less passionate or less dedicated to the hobby itself.

Yes, saying that those who quit the hobby are somehow less dedicated to it than the ones who stay in the hobby is just ridiculous. <_<

Thats the problem though exactly...There is no more fluff, the word bearers have a SINGLE picture in the codex, one single model with a banner and underneath it just says "word bearer icon bearer" or something like that. If you notice as well, when it lists ALL the little legions and groups it doenst even have the word bearers there. So the idea of sticking with chaos for the fluff kinda went out the window when they decided to dump all the fluff dating back from second edition to the current codex.

But the fluff isn't gone. They are just not repating it to you. You should still have all the Word Bearer fluff you want. But that does make it hart for new players to get behind any of the 9 legioins.

I think im gonna throw together an ork army so i can goof off in the meantime, until something comes along that tickles my fancy.

You do that. Orks are fun. And it will make you appreciate 3+ power armour again. <_< 3+ power armou AND boltun AND boltpistol with ccw.

At the same time I have to strongly disagree that anyone who is bored or dissatified w/ csm's 4.0 and may be looking for other options whether is be represnting undivided csm using another power armor dex or building a new army to try something new, is not a serious chaos player. And obviously alot of other long time chaos players feel the same way.

To be honest, in the past few years there were moments when I was a bit burned out with GW, either because I had not the time, not the money, or personal issues kept bothering me. During those times, when GW was making design choices I did not like that much (and there were a few) I sometimes felt that perhaps it was time to quit. In the end I never actually did... unfortunately. Point being, if anyone quits 40K (or "just" chaos) because he is not satisfied I do not blame him.

But while I miss a few of the options from the last codex, am not all that happy with the icon system, and would of course like to see a few extra legion specific traits, overall I like playing with the current Codex. Though I am more focusing on my Night Lords currently, perhaps I would feel the downsides more when I was currently playing World Eaters more actively. Though I was also a bit excited about the idear of a flamer heavy World Eaters devastator squad.

But assembling an army is simple, units are powerful, without the need for bells and whistles, and the opponent can hardly complain about cheesy items or units. The furies in the last codex were nice, but I actually like the current "simple" daemons as well. They are often underestimated, though my regular gaming buddy has come to despise them. :lol:

You put this very well i must admit and i do somewhat agree with you as i apsolutely LOVE my word bearers, ive literally never played anything but. The fluff needs to be in the codex along with new fluff, this is where it belongs. The new marine dex has fluff on calgar that is repeated more than a few times from other dex's, same with orks and thrakka. Both of those codexs are being looked at in a favorable light, people love their stories and their background and their love. I remember the huron stuff from second edition and i was happy that he was brought back, but why have a pile of stuff about him and nothing else. I want to read about chaos and i want to love them and love their fluff. If you dont include it, there is nothing to love or get behind. Thats the point of this whole thing i think, that people want to get behind something but there is just nothing there to get behind, expect winning tournaments. Winning with chaos is easy, thats 100% not the issue.

1) There should have been more Legion fluff in there

2) I preferred the fluff in this one over the previous fluff. I just found it more pleasant to read and interesting.

3) I love the Warbands feel. And warbands + Legions should be mutually inclusive. But it's not a bad thing in itself that the Non Legions get more attention persay, fleshing those out was needed too.

But we'll see. Who knows there may pop up a new codex when one least expects.

I believe that all of the OP's questions have been answered.

Seeing as this topic has become another new codex rant-fest, despite TheDarkApostle's nudge against going off-topic:

*throws topic out of Airlock 7*

gallery_26_548_17134.jpg

Archived