Wolfguard leader

Max_Dammit

Have a 1400 pt game against blacktemplar this wekend, and i removed my speeder and wolfpriest to get the 1500 list to 1400, Ill be using a wolfguard as HQ

I got 2 set-ups that fit exactly in the points i have

Frostblade

Wolfpelt

Boltpistol

Frag

Runic charm

Or

2 lightning claws

Wolfpelt

Frag

Wolftail

What would be better against a powerarmour army like BT?

I'd go with the 1st if I were you Max, the bolt pistol can be useful if you want to try a potshot against and enemy before you charge and the runic charm is golden (as you should know mister ;)). The TLC is good for slice'n and dice'n, but it leaves you without a ranged attack.

Your WGBL has 4 attacks. Assuming he charges, you're looking at 6 dice with either weapon. Attacking WS 4 he would likely hit 4 times. With the frost blade you'll wound 2.7 times. With the Lightning Claws you'll wound twice and then re-roll the misses to wound one more time. The LC's give you 3 wounds.

If you're fighting someone with WS 5, you'll hit 3 times and wound 2 times with the Frost Blade. You would wound 2.25 times with the LC's.

Considering the advantage, I'd take LC's, but you'll have to give up on bolt pistol shots and you'll not have the Runic charm. Basically, you should figure on having the WGBL in combat for 6 or so assault phases (3 turns, both phases). That translates to roughly 1.5-2 additional wounds he'll inflict with the Lightning Claws. Is that worth giving up the additional wound that the Runic Charm affords you? I'm not sure. I'd probably go with the Claws.

I don't even know why there is discussion on this... The wolf priest is cheaper in points and you get 4+ invulnerable to boot! :sweat:

If you still want the WGBL then go with the frost blade variant, the runic charm might not be the game winner, but at least you have S5 to even pop a tank if needed (my lord has popped a vindicator when he outflanked (13th comp) and it was just priceless)

Also don't forget there will be neophites... S5 anyone? :pinch:

Thinking about it a little more, I'd definately go with the Claws. You're not going to shoot if you're with the Blood Claws, and the Runic Charm is not such a big loss in power armor. IMHO, the math simply doesn't lie.

i would go with the Frost blade toting one, mostly just because it is another SM army. the wolf priest and TLC i like to use against lower toughness opponents or if i have say another WGBL with frost blade already in the army, he goes after the tougher/HQ guys and the other goes for softer targets.

whatever you decide Max, make sure your list over-all is shooty...

Those Templars are just nasty now in CC, I've been playing against them quite regularly and have been struggling.

The new wound allocation, and thier ability to re-roll "to hit" rolls in close combat ;) makes it just painful.

Those Templars are just nasty now in CC, I've been playing against them quite regularly and have been struggling.

The new wound allocation, and thier ability to re-roll "to hit" rolls in close combat :blink: makes it just painful.

I usually take a vindi or two as well as a long fang pack with extra plasma cannons in it against BT's, they don't hurt as much then. ^_^

They cross the board so fast too, there's been games that first turn I'm rapid firing my bolters into their lines (spearhead deployment though, but still)

The new wound allocation, and thier ability to re-roll "to hit" rolls in close combat :devil: makes it just painful.

I'm using my basic list for this one, No extra's, he's testing his list for a torny. I only have one pack of bolter hunters

the rest is on pistols. Just hope my viny gets to shoot this game

I have some OBEL scouts

Should i deploy them with the troops or have them OBEL?

The new wound allocation, and thier ability to re-roll "to hit" rolls in close combat :o makes it just painful.

I'm using my basic list for this one, No extra's, he's testing his list for a torny. I only have one pack of bolter hunters

the rest is on pistols. Just hope my viny gets to shoot this game

I have some OBEL scouts

Should i deploy them with the troops or have them OBEL?

Well that's a tough one without knowing his list. One guy I face OBEL is useless because nothing is left back there, but a more recent ork player uses some IC that has something like a conversion beamer of sorts that just sits in the back and shoots. Also he has a looted tank that usually stays in the back and fires.

I could see the scouts being useful to contest an objective, but that's about it. I'd say leave them at home and use the points for another dread who would do so much more.

Nice idea

Just changed the list to 2 dreads

Wont be podding though

So i have

20 GHs

9 BCs

WGBL 2LC

Viny

Anny

2 rino's

1 ven dread assault and flamer

1 dread assault and storm bolter

All vehicles come with armour and smoke

What can hurt the dreads in a BT list

Against the average BT list I faced in the past it's usually speeders, a dread or two themselves and of course the Land Raider that can hurt the dread.

With 5th ed though, the speeders aren't as effective, and currently the Land Raider isn't effective tank hunter either, which leaves the other dreads.

Oh, and some power fist attacks from your average BT squads can hurt the dread too.

The vindicator will definitely be the bane of that BT player, it really will. :rolleyes:

Best of luck and can't wait to hear of your battle.

As expected i got my ass kicked :ph34r:

I must say my vin and anny did a good job, Killing over 600 points of his troops

5 teminators

2 atack bikes

2 speeders

and his champoin

my troops hit nothing but air and so did my dreads

so CC was over fast and he started killing tanks after that

My ven dread got hit by his 1 powerfist atack (forgot the hard to kill rule in this one though) and the normal one got hit by his only melta and had to stand still before he could charge a non powerfist unit :lol:

All in all a fun game where some 4th and 5th ED rules where thrown trough one and other, I realy need to play some one that knows the rules by hart so i dont have to look stuff up every time

Archived