Wolfing up Black reach

Pavement Artist

Hi there.

Went to warhammer world for the weekly game yesterday and ended up sharing the moneys for two black reach boxes (swopping the orks in mine for the marines with my mate). Now i've been enticed back into the power armoured fold, there's only been one army that's done it for me and thats the wolfs. Unfortunately, you must agree that the marines in the Black reach box arent particularly wolfy. Therein lies my problem: I'm perfectly happy with the 1k odd lot of troops i have for 40 quid but id like to know how to wolf them up a bit please.

My thoughts so far are obviously taking the twenty marines and having them as grey hunters. these boys are simple enough to sort out as i seem to have a shedload of SW sprue spares and chaos marauder furs and the like which would tart them up nicely. My problem lies in the termies and the dread mainly. Any suggestions?

Cheers in advance

The easiest way IMO would be to break out the green stuff and make yourself some pelts to drape over the models. Pelts are rather easy to green stuff up: Make a decent sized putty ball, put it on a surface with a smooth finish with lots of water on it. Use your fingers to make a rough shape of the pelt you want to make, making sure to keep it wet and peeling it off the surface at regular intervals (so it doesnt just stick to your work surface). then with your green stuff tool, start making a "fur" effect. I do this by placing the sharp end of the tool into the putty for the length of the blade to make a divit, then twisting it slightly. I then make the next mark at about 45* angle to this. Repeat about 100 times and you have a nice hairy look.

The easiest way IMO would be to break out the green stuff and make yourself some pelts to drape over the models. Pelts are rather easy to green stuff up: Make a decent sized putty ball, put it on a surface with a smooth finish with lots of water on it. Use your fingers to make a rough shape of the pelt you want to make, making sure to keep it wet and peeling it off the surface at regular intervals (so it doesnt just stick to your work surface). then with your green stuff tool, start making a "fur" effect. I do this by placing the sharp end of the tool into the putty for the length of the blade to make a divit, then twisting it slightly. I then make the next mark at about 45* angle to this. Repeat about 100 times and you have a nice hairy look.

Thanks for the advice guys. Brilliant green stuff suggestion Onlyindeath, i might just give that a try.

Cheers

I used the old marines from the paint set years ago for a squad with no problems. No real wolf parts other than a tail or such (you should pick up a SW sprue or two if they are still available), and had no problem.

After looking at the marines in that box, I didnt want to put the work into making them wolves. The fact that the right shoulders have the "troops" arrow molded into it is a problem.. wolves dont use those symbols.

Just adding some GS is a perfect Idea, also adding in some wolf tails from the SW bits wouldn't hurt.

You might want to add in an assault marine or two to each squad and give them some plasma pistols as that's a trend for the grey hunters right now as well.

And yes, get rid of the Tactical marks on the shoulderpads.

After looking at the marines in that box, I didnt want to put the work into making them wolves. The fact that the right shoulders have the "troops" arrow molded into it is a problem.. wolves dont use those symbols.

Nothing a knife or a rotary tool can't handle ^_^

Archived