Battles of the night

Brother SRM

Well, I took the taxi there and back today, which was something like 20 bucks. Ugh.

I got there and two guys were talking about grand tournaments and stuff. Eventually this other guy came up, and I asked if he wanted to game. Turns out he's in my dorm, 2 floors down. This game he used his old school Necrons in an 1850 point game.

He had:

2 20 man warrior squads

10 man immortal squad

3 wraiths

monolith

6 scarab swarms

lord with resorb

5 man destroyer squad

He was going to use a proxy monolith made of taped together trading cards. I said no.

I took:

Wolf lord Baal (lightning claws, termie armor)

7 terminators - 2 assault cannons, combi plas, stormbolters, power weapon, power fists

My standard 15 man blood claw squad with power weapon wolf guard - 2 power weapons and fist, meltagun

Wolf Priest with apothecary tools, power weapon, bolt pistol

2 10 man grey hunter squads with plasma gun, power weapon, power fist, power weapon wolf guards

Drop-pod Ven. Dread with AC and Heavy Flamer

Scouts with meltagun and 2 plasma pistols, the heroes of the imperium themselves, with the littlest wolf guard with a power weapon

We ended up with pitched battle, killpoints. The terrain was kinda random - some mountain terrain, trees, barricades here and there, and a chemical lake.

TURN 1

I had first turn, full advance. My Terminators took up the left flank, blood claws and grey hunters up the middle, and one squad of grey hunters up the right. The terminator assault cannons tore into the destroyers, with stormbolters taking out a third. Everyone else ran up.

Necron warriors moved up their hill to respond to my terminators. The destroyers nearby moved up and responded to the advancing Terminators, dropping Wolf Guard Baldur. The lord and his warriors pretty much stayed still in the middle of the field with the immortals. Some fire into my blood claws killed 1, with my Wolf Priest saving the other. The Wraiths were hidden behind a treelinem hoping to come after my right flank grey hunters.

TURN 2

Dreadnought and scouts don't come in. Next turn, my Wolf Guard terminators closed in on the Destroyers. Firing and assaulting, they wiped out the squad, depriving them of getting back up. My blood claws moved up on the lord's warrior squad, dropping 2 with pistols at about 10 inches. The centermost grey hunter squad middled around a pool in the middle of the table, while my right flank squad Started moving towards the center.

Monolith and Scarabs fail to deep strike. The necron warriors on my left rapid fired my terminators. 40 shots managed to kill my Lord's 3 fenrisian wolves and 2 other terminators. Immortals moved up and fired on the terminators, but couldn't penetrate their armor. 2+ is cushy, even without the reroll.

TURN 3

Dread and scouts still don't drop in. My blood claws move up and assault the necron warriors with their lord. 49 attacks plus power weapons somehow manage to only kill 10 of them, but they turn tail and run after killing 4 blood claws. They are summarily overrun by my claws awfter failing their leadership test. My terminators take on the immortals in close combat, annihilating the squad without taking a wound.

His scarab swarm drops in this turn, right next to my centermost grey hunters. The wraiths are still staying put on the right behind the treeline, and not moving. At all. The warriors on the left on a hill pop off some shots at my terminators, but I don't remember them killing anyone.

TURN 4

My blood claws and terminators move up towards the Necrons on the left. Some stormbolter and assault cannon fire peppers them, but they all make their get back up and armor saves. The rightmost Grey Hunters start moving in the same direction. The center Grey Hunters rapid fire the scarabs, who don't even get saves from the bolters.

The monolith dropped by my right flank grey hunters, and shot some kinda laser thing at my blood claws. 3 dropped or so. The scarabs attacked my grey hunters, failing to wound and taking a lot of hits.

TURN 5

The scouts finally come in behind the wraiths. The 2 plasma pistols and melta gun kill all 3. The drop pod lands right infront of the 20 man warrior squad, and between the heavy flamer and assault cannon, kills 3. The scarabs are killed in close combat with my grey hunters, and everything else of mine advances towards the remaining warriors, ignoring the monolith.

The warriors fire in full force at my dreadnought, glancing enough to knock off it's dreadnought weapon. The monolith kills another 3 blood claws, but there's still a good chunk of the squad around.

The Necron player gave up at this point, as I had only lost 3 terminators and 10 bloodclaws, and was about to wipe out his last 17 warriors. I'm pretty sure he was due for a phaseout anyway.

After this I played a 1500 point game against a pure sisters of battle Witchhunter force. This game was table quarters, 4 objectives. I killed about half a dozen sisters, an exorcist and an immolator, but lost my entire army by the third turn. There really wasn't anything worth writing about, except that now I have a legitimate fear of these nuns with guns. Apparently, the "and they shall know no armor saves" rule was in effect. I somehow managed to melee the one squad of sisters with good close combat skills too, and man, those acts of faith...

Well, it sounds like this necron player could use a few lessons at basic necron tactics. Why the hell did he deep strike scarabs instead of having them start on the board to tie up a unit all game? How the hell did he let his destroyers get ASSAULTED??? Why didnt he do a thing with his wraiths? Dude did a lot of stuff wrong. Congrats on the victory tho.

I have yet to play a pure witchhunter force, but yeah, acts of faith seem mighty scary...

Yeah, the Necron player is basically only using 'crons till he can get his Chaos Daemons army going. He really didn't know what he was doing, constantly checking his 'dex for things he should know (armor saves, etc) but to be fair, he hadn't played much in a while.

The Witchhunters were flat out brutal though. 1500 points, I killed at most half a dozen sisters and 2 vehicles, and lost all 20 of my grey hunters, 15 blood claws, WGBL, rune priest, 6 wolf scouts, 7 terminators, and the Wolf Guard Leaders attached to the claws and hunters. Seriously brutal game.

Archived