Storm Caller and it's effects on close combat in 5th ed.

Vanger

Brothers of the Fang I ask your advice, ruling and oppinion on the matter of the Rune Priests Psychic Power - Storm Caller.

As in the last FAQ the ruling about Storm Caller was omited we have to rely on RAW.

As far as cover saves are concerned there is no problem with it. It states, that the unit counts as being in a 5+ cover (as vehicles now benefit also from covers this needs no extra ruling as it did in 4th ed. with Obsucerd), but regading close combat the rules have changed; a lot.

The SC rule says that "This unit counts as being in cover for rules purposes [..] and will strike first in the first round of close combat if they are charged". But being in cover has no effects on close combat anymore, instead, as writen on page 36 of the Rulebook, the I is reduced to 1 if the assaulting unit has to go through difficult or dangerous terrain. So will the asaulting unit count as assaulting through difficult ground? Or stay with RAW and the unit with SC on strikes first if assaulted, no matter what? (The RAW ruling could conflict only with the rules for Eldar Banshee Mask) And is this effect negated if the assaulting unit has Assault Grenades?

The second part "Units [...] may assault and, if they do so and the enemy are also in cover attacks are resolved simultaneously." is pretty clear in RAW but it seems in some cases it's more of a curse then a blessing.

So shall we stick with RAW ruling and clear it up with our opponents each time?

Since we use RAW, the power is a psychic effect, it's not per say "normal" cover, so "normal" rules don't apply. If you're charged and you have SC on that unit that got charged, your enemy will go after you, simple as that. ;)

I guess that's the way I would think it should be used.

I dunno man... its pretty sketchy- i mean in C:SW it clearly states that "The unit counts as being in cover for rules purposes..." before it states "...and will strike first in the first round of close combat if they are charged."

I know its really ambiguous, but you try telling your opponent that his frag grenades count for s**t, and then showing him that rather tenuous ruling...

Oh for a new and much CLEARER and WELL WORDED codex!!!!!

I just count it as the squad being in cover, for assault purposes. However, it does say we hit first if we charge, as frags only work when the unit with them is charging.

The new space wolf codex doesn't say we hit first when we charge, only when charged, you're referring to the older version.

There is a HUGE discussion on this multiple times and the search should have been used.

Thats why I dont use Rune Priests... <_<

AMEN!

Not to mention Njal was one of the worst things ever and he'd die all the time. ;)

Wow... talk about old. I have the 2nd ed codex, but never got to use him. :)

If they included the Runic Staff/Weapon (and maybe combined the two?) with the model, and gave us more options... might be worth taking. As it is, SM Librarians just blow RP's away. I never found stormcaller to be useful at all, at least not worth the cost of using them. Now, with cover a plenty on the 40k table, the use of the RP is even less.

My main reason for taking Rune Priests is the psychic hood. If I'm going against Eldar, it's worth taking without a doubt, and it never hurts to have another Frost Blade in my army! However, snow flurries isn't exactly the most potent psychic power, even if it does have some upsides.

True, against eldar it might not be a point sink.. but the only time i see Eldar are tournaments, and a RP is not a good HQ choice for most tournament lists.

Its like taking a unit of H.Bolter LF's 'just in case' you face orks/IG.

Or like taking an inquisitor with 2 mystics just in case you face an army that has deep striking... oh wait... that's a lot! ;)

Archived