Alpha Legion Purple?

Doghouse

The biggest thing that puts me off doing Alpha Legion is the purple colour scheme.

This rough test model is what I think the colour most probably looks like but am not entirely sure.

What do you guys think?

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Picture024-3.jpg

No, their colorscheme has been retconned multiple times. Now their PH scheme is a purple with silver trim, and then a mix of blue and green post-heresy that looks suspiciously like my own Chapter... ;)

Looks pretty good to me, Doghouse, maybe a hair bright, but that might just be the flash.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/5/53/Alpha_LegionPH.jpg

Looks blue to me,

Therein lies the answer, there was a thread on the old Pre-Heresy forums that consisted of several pages of argument about that very picture: some people look at that colour and classify it as blue, whilst other people look at the exact same picture and classify it as purple (I'm still on the fence myself). My theory is that Abnett is in the latter category, not that he was referring to a different colour.

Well, the IA picture looks blue to me, maybe kinda purplish.

Looking at the cover of Legion, most of his armor looks about the same shade of blue, though, depending on the amount of light shining on a given part of his armor, I'd swear it looks purple.

So...yeah. I dunno what to say. :P

Great paintjob! :D

As for the colour; the exact colour of pre-heresy Word Bearers is also a debate. Some say black, some say grey, some even say greenish. Though it's suppose to be granite coloured. The artwork of the Legion-clour looks purple to me too.

I don't believe I know more than two other artists who could possibly apply an idea with the skill you have, so it is hard to provide any critic.

I would like to offer the following as my opinion though: Consider the secretiveness of the legion, regardless of the authors skills, they are a very clandestine type unit. Always working behind the scenes, going for a greater plan in all that they do. Your purple is so reminiscent of Soul Drinkers and other chapters that it is like trying to paint a blue that doesn't smack of smurf.

I quick glance at your avatar gave me the idea of toning down the purple, wash it out with grey. The idea being that several pre heresy units are different variations of greys, and anyone who survived contact with these troops would have nothing to report beyond, 'Uh, they waz big, and quite, and I dunno it was kinda hard to tell the color'.

Best of luck. I can't wait to see this work out.

If you look at this picture you'll see what GW posted up on their Australian website.

http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/40k/spa.../AL_sires_b.jpg

Here's the rest of the gallery of other pre-heresy paint schemes:

http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/40k/spa...re_heresy/2.htm

The Australian site has to be the worst one I've seen, yet it's the only one where I was able to find this gallery.

It seems to be the blue and silver trim that somebody mentioned. Regardless of what you choose, that's a terrific paint job and a great marine.

Hope it helps!

Lucas

It used to be blue and green, blended into eachother at differnt parts of the armour. Later, they used complete segments in either colour. I always thought the blue and green made for a sort of seagreen, which fits, sort of, with their Hydra theme. :yes:

As for the AUS site; that colourcombination reminds me of Decepticons for some reason... :tu:

hmm from the looks of the IA article it was basically nauseating blue, an OOP paint that was a sort of mixed purple/blue.

really it comes down to personal preference, but i like the idea of a dulled darker purple, like a mix of shadow grey and liche purple, or whatever the equivalent colors are in other ranges.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's a great help! B)

I've re-read he key parts of Legion and the colour described in there is purple but there is no mention of shade. The first picture isn't really a true representation of the colour so here's a truer version of the colour I'm doing from my camera phone:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Doghouse12/Photo031.jpg

I think the colour is spot on mate for the Legion. It never says anything about the colour being blue or even Purpley-blue. It clearly says purple and as far as i can remember it always has been purple.

Mauve maybe even indigo.

And that is mauve to me.

Unfortunately the reprints, scans etc on that IA article can make the colour look either blue or purple. It's a really hard colour to nail - especially when you go to highlight and shade.

Looks pretty much dead on to me.

Archived