Need some Math-Hammer Help?

Marek Grimfang

For the occasional pack of BC's that I may take, what are the stats on usage of Melta Guns vs. Flamers for them.

Im not a big fan of them based on the reduced BS and WS of 3, but I am sort of basing this question pending the rumour they will be boosted to WS/BS of 4.

Because of this I am writing a list for an army build off using GH's with BP's rather than Bolters instead of BC's.

Well Marek, here's the breakdown for ya:

Melta gun: If you assume that they will have a bs of 4, you will hit 66% of the time, and wound 83% of the time. Therefore you have a chance of killing a single, one wound model 55% of the time (standard for ANY marine)

With any flamer, you will automatically hit any model that is even partially covered by the template. Of those, in theory, you will wound about 66% of them. So, for example, if you hit 7 models, you will wound 4.6 of them (or, essentially 4 with 5 being a more common occurance).

Now, when you include the fact that on a melta, no armor saves are allowed, so your wound, essentially half the time you shoot (or in a 6 turn game, possibly 3 wounding hits) vs a flamer in a game where you have a possible 27 ish wounds in a 6 round game with the above formula (obviously gratuitous), of those, 1/3 will be saved, or essentially 9 will FAIL the armor saves, you are obviously looking at an anti-infantry (based on armor save 3+ ) edge on the flamer, if you can get large groups.

However, keep in mind a flamer will do nothing to armor, where a melta can.....in the end, I'd say flamer always to BC's as they are your assault groups. For GH, stick to the MG or the odd PG

Big thanks. And I somewhat understand it as well.

And yes, Ill keep Flamers with BC's, if they should even have that upgrade at all.

Whats your take on close combat GH's vs. the use of BC's?

Well, that depends. If, indeed, BC's get WS/BS 4 like GH, then the math would be exactly the same. the only difference coming in their respective roles (GH being shooty, BC's, with the prospective furious charge, having furious charge). I think GH's will most likely be vanilla-ized in the upcoming dex. Either way, it's a ways, off, and I'd leave the cc to BC's and shooting war to the GH. Go with what you have, get the new models to fill what you will need :D

I give a meltagun to every squad of Blood Claws I field. That and a power fist are basically how they take on walkers or monstrous creatures. Besides, it doesn't hurt to have a strength 8 AP1 weapon, ever. My only criticism with a flamer would be the fact that you might actually kill so many models to deprive your men of the assault.

I'd be a little careful with the assumption that BC's will get a boost in BOTH WS and BS. Under second edition, BC's had a WS of 5 (just like GH) but a BS of 3. It may be that they'll keep the poor BS and just get the boost in WS.

BC's I like to use in larger point games and as sacriledge as it seems, because of their lower stats, I see them little more than regular scouts inpower armour. I do prefer having packs of GH's kitted for close combat specific roles. One or two packs, nto much more since I am on a role and trying to field an almost all GH company.

But with the Redeemer coming out, my BC choices will be modest with upgrades, WGL with twin LC's, 2-3 x PW's, and let them loose. No flamer or Melta Gun.

Archived