Minnesota, USA

Vertebrae

Just a quick question: Where is everyone playing 40K in Mn? I live out by the Source Comic and games, but there isn't a lot of games of 40K (that I know of) being played there. I'm thinking of going to the Air Traffic in Roseville but I don't know yet.

Just a quick question: Where is everyone playing 40K in Mn? I live out by the Source Comic and games, but there isn't a lot of games of 40K (that I know of) being played there. I'm thinking of going to the Air Traffic in Roseville but I don't know yet.

After living in the twin cities for 18 months, I have found the following laces to be ideal for 40K (By order of preference):

Tower Games (south Minneapolis, 48th and Nicollet)

Misty Mountain Games (Burnsville off of 5)

Any other place is just wasting your time.

Tower because of the great community, Misty Mountain because of the enormous amount of space they have.

Tons of people from around the entire area are being drawn to Tower games though because of the very well established player base for numerous games.

Don't take my word for it though, check out the local forum:

http://www.adeptusminneapolis.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

• 6 months later...

you should go to misty mountain in burnsville, it suits the needs for all hobbies, and they have 2 huge playing areas i only go there when i need to buy anything for hobbies, and unless they dont have i or sell it i go online or my last resort of air traffic

on thursday nights they have 40k night and there is a but load of poeple there

and on friday they have fantasy but not many show up,

and they hold tournaments all the time for all the different hobbies

on thursday nights they have 40k night and there is a but load of poeple there

and on friday they have fantasy but not many show up

Tower is about the exact opposite. Thursdays are big for WHFB while fridays are big for 40K. Lots of players show up to both.

While I also enjoy Misty Mountain, I find the clientele that frequent Tower to be bit more... mature and sophisticated due to the variety of games that can be found there.

Not to mention that Tower has the best Hobby table I have ever seen that you can sit down and chat it up with a large group of regulars who are very helpful in giving advice. (the best painters and hobbyists in the Twin Cities converge there).

But if you are into Magic, I can think of no better place to play than Misty Mountain.

So I have gathered that you're probably in the Twin Cities area. Well, can't help you there. However, if you ever find yourself up in the area around Duluth, check out Dragon Port Games (formerly Robin Goodfellows). Dragon Port Games

I've been out of the scene for a while, admittedly, but when I left for the academy there was a very strong WH40k following, very strong WH Fantasy following, tragically declining Warmachine, and then you can always find a guy or two who plays around with BFG, Bloodbowl, Necromunda, etc. We have a group set up, LAKE SWATT (Lake Superior Wargaming And Tabletop Tactics) it's on Yahoo. There's usually at least 2 tournaments a year for the big 2, sometimes more. Check it out!

Days were Friday night for Fantasy, Saturday for 40k, but it's open gaming all week long.

• 1 month later...
I game at Misty Mountain all the time and will agree it has lots of Tables but the community is a little young. Magic is the mainstay there. Never been to Tower, but I go to the city often. I should swing by on a friday. The funny thing is that I bet half of us would recognize eachother. I'm also wondering if there are any places near St. Cloud/Maple grove area? Edited by Sternguard sergeant McColl

I go to Tower on most Fridays. The main problem I have is the bulk of the players there seem somewhat cliqueish, and mostly play pre-aranged games vs each other, or play games other than 40K (on Firday, the schedualed 40K day- no idea what they play other days, could be 40K!)

Long story short, I'd be happy to show up any Friday (or any other weekday) if I knew I was actually gonna have somebody to play against.

• 3 weeks later...
Since I'm relatively new to playing 40K I'll try to be at Tower on every Friday that I can. Just hit me up before hand or find me there, I'm down with playing anyone just for some experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I got into 40k almost a decade ago playing at Pheonix, spent a few years in limbo or playing other games, but recently decided I wanted to take out my old army men again.

Im down outside Rochester (between Kasson and Byron), but havent played in a long time. never seemed to be able to pick up a game at Jimmy Jams when they were open, either too much CCG goin on, or tables already taken for the night by the time I was able to make it in.

I am finding myself in the cities quite often on Thursday/Friday evenings, and am hopeing to be able to make it to either Tower or Misty Mountian one of these weeks.

if anyone from the Rochester area knows of a local gathering spot now for miniature games, I'd love to know.

Stroh

@thestroh: I sent you a PM about my 'club'.

I hear Games by James in Rochester is going to start carrying Warhammer stuff again. I remember several years ago they had a sign outside Games by James that said, "Games Workshop games played here" or something. Maybe they'll start hosting tables. As of right now, though, I think most games are home-based, but maybe I'm just out of the loop.

There's also a group in Austin that plays fantasy.

• 11 months later...

Necropost, but I don't think this warranted a brand new Minnesota topic.

A new store has opened up in Inver Grove Heights.

http://armoredogre.com/

The owner is just starting out and has limited in-store stuff, but is very good and very speedy about ordering in whatever GW stuff you need. So far I've ordered a Vindicator, two IG command Squads and a Commissar, and gotten all within 3-4 days of ordering them

If you have trouble with the directions, look for the A&W restaurant. The store is in the strip mall across the street from that.

Edited by LoneSniperSG

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Its been awhile since any body has posted on this section.

I have been playing 40k for close to two years. A small group of friends and myself play quite often. We are looking for differrent people to play with. What are the best places to play in MN in the year 2011?

Lonedrow: it depends on where you play at and where you live at. From my personal input in the twin cities in or around St. Paul source is quite nice for play, and has a lot of Nerd Relics.

In south west in Burnsville Misty Mountian is nice and easy to get a nicely made hobby table, and has open space for discusion, and painting. so that my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...

Another good place, if you're in Minneapolis proper, is Universe Games at Lyndale & Lake. Smaller establishment, but good guys and gals run it and there're regular games/leagues.

I'll second what I've heard about about Misty Mountain and Tower Games; I never got out there often when in MN because they were a bit more of schlep, but the people I know who go there regularly like them too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dont forget that Fantasy FLight Games (producers of the Roleplaying games) has an event center out in Rosedale tha tyou can play games at and make purchases from. Not sure how many folks go and just hang out but it might be a good meet up place for some games.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
Hey all. im going to be moving to just outside of minneapolis from london in a few months and was wondering if anyone knew of any gaming groups/shops that were any good? im 80% modeller/painter and 20% player so i dont want an uber competetive group..more casual relaxed atmosphere... cheers.

well when i lived there there was a BIG hobby store on lake street near uptown(just ask, theyll know the area). cant remeber name off the top of my head. there is also a kite store in the mall of america that had a respectable 40k community base out it. ill see if i can dig up names later.