A thought on a possible future role for Loken...

Deneris

As we can probably guess that Garviel Loken ISN'T dead (Has more lives than a cat), I had a thought earlier today about how the authors might bring him back near the end of the HH arc; Rescued from Istvaan III (And probably needing more bionics than an Iron Hands clan master), Loken uses his knowledge of Horus' Vengeful Spirit to infiltrate the ship. Using his command codes (Which Horus wouldn't change as he believed he had killed all the "Loyalists") he lowers the shields on the ship, allowing the Emperor and friends to board...

This seems to make a bit more sense than "Horus dropping the shields to watch the death of the Emperor" story we've heard previously. Perhaps Tarvitz and a cadre of Istvaan III survivors can even make a cameo appearance...

Being a former military man, I can tell you that the important codes got changed often. Once every ninety days was the policy on my ship. I doubt Horus would make as big an operational blunder as to not change out security codes, especially ones as vital as having to do with his capital ship's defense systems.

Being a former military man, I can tell you that the important codes got changed often. Once every ninety days was the policy on my ship. I doubt Horus would make as big an operational blunder as to not change out security codes, especially ones as vital as having to do with his capital ship's defense systems.

Silly Godspear, trying to apply common sense to 40k. Silly, silly, Godspear.

The main idea of my post was "lower the shields". If need be, I can see Loken (And any surviving friends) using meltabombs on the key systems ( A la Brynngar in Battle for the Abyss). Of COURSE, Loken won't survive this, but will be venerated as a hero by what's left of the Emperor's boarding party...

Be even easier, as I imagine the bulk of Horus' forces/crew would be on Earth at the time...

Secondary thought: Perhaps Horus Aximand lowers the shields? Typical "filled with grief at what he had seen" type thing, he lowers the shields (And probably gets killed by Horus himself).

i can deff see Loken comming back and playing a role in future HH books but i think the whole lowering the sheilds thing is a little far. It goes against all GW established fluff

Ummm... Great swathes of "established" GW fluff have been altered or even thrown out with the HH series. Just look at the Alpha Legion... :rolleyes:

Please people, let him rest.

If the Black Library writers have even an ounce of common sense then they wont raise him from the dead.

Deus Ex Machina resurections have always been an extremly cheap plot device and i would hate to see it.

For more Lunar Wolfs/ Sons of Horus drama ( if thats realy necessary...cause...it isnt like we have 5 other traitor legions + the loyalists which werent explored yet ) there are other characters which arent maimed by tons of stone,

like Horus Aximand and his buddy (?) Abaddon.

Agreed, not being dead just cheapens the whole story and the whole franchise. The Horus Heresy was meant to be a brutal civil war with tragic results, worst of all....and you may need to sit down for this...

...people died, even people you like.

We won't have to worry because the HH book series will expand sideways rather than progress timeways, GW has seen how successful it was and like any good series will bloat it until interest wanes.

Frankly, I don't really care if Loken lives or dies- I was merely sharing a thought that came to me as I pondered where the Heresy series could go... I'd wager GW decides to have Loken come out and play... Perhaps as a dreadnought? :huh:

Now if they could bring back Mhotep... Well, then I'd be a happy traitor ;).

Lets think about this ... how could Loken possibly survive horrible wounds and still live for thousands of years? What in the fluff - and in game terms - allows a SM to continue life for that long? [Hint, hint]

Suss-an Membrane. I can definitely see Aximand lowering the shields. It would explain what happened to him as most of the rest of the traitor commanders survive to M41+.

Suss-an Membrane.

...or turning to Chaos. In any case, I agree that he should just stay dead, he kind of annoyed me anyway so good riddance, but knowing BL he will probably make some kind of unlikely recovery and play a role in the endgame sacrificing himself for the Emperor.

Lets think about this ... how could Loken possibly survive horrible wounds and still live for thousands of years? What in the fluff - and in game terms - allows a SM to continue life for that long? [Hint, hint]

I think he's talking about dreds here people....

Please, everyone, just let him be! Bringing him back would just cheapen the sacrifice of the Loyalists on Istvaan III. Thats what I loved about the ending of that book, it was so tragic, the perfect summary of the opening of the Heresy. The message that evil can win too, rather than 40k being a Disney setting in space. Thats really it, actually, bringing him back would be like one of those kids Disney movies, where one of the heroes sacrifices himself to beat the bad guy, and just when everyone thinks he's dead, he comes over the hill, perfectly alive.

If Loken is brought back, I'm finding whoever writes that book, and forcing them to eat it. While it's on fire. Ruining such a perfect cinematic ending just to gain some cheap Disney/Hollywood/soap opera plot twist deserves nothing less.

If Garviel Loken does come back (by Slaanesh, I hope he doesn't; I fell out with Marvel because of their penchant for resurrecting characters that'd died left, right and centre), then I imagine that he will be the warrior spoken of in the Horus Heresy art book "Visions of Death" who bursts in on Horus and the Emperor whilst they are having their little scrap aboard Horus's battle barge. One can certainly imagine this reunion between primarch and Space Marine (vis a vis "Father and son") being thematically significant (in a sort of epically heroic traditional sense), lots of "Oh Father (primarch), what have you become," type stuff before Horus FINALLY obliterates the little goody two shoes ONCE AND FOR ALL, demonstrating to His Holiness the God Emperor (pah) that there really is little of his most chosen son left amidst the insanity and ambition.

Better all round if he just stays damn well dead, though.

Horus murders Sanguinius before the Emperor comes upon him. According to the description of their subsequent battle in the art book "Horus Heresy: Visions of Death," whilst the two are battling, the Emperor cannot bring himself to deliver the killing strike, believing that there's still some good left in his son. One of the Emperor's warriors then bursts into the chamber, whom Horus flays to ribbons with a glance. This act convinces the Emperor that there is nothing left of the Horus he knew, and motivates him to finally destroy the traitor warmaster.

The description of this "warrior" is deliberately vague, leading me to believe that there is more surrounding him narrative wise than is revealed in this account. Garviel Loken?

I always thought that Loken would be made one fo the first Grey Knights, like Tarvitz and Iacton Qruze. I honestly don't care if he does or doesn't come back, like others, i think it will be a bad plot if he does. But, i've even heard rumours that Torgaddon is coming back, even though he got his head cut off. Oh well, thats the Black Library for you!

FOE

No clue.

As for Loken I really don't see any practical way for him to live. He got beat the f-up, buirried under tons of rubble and with an orbital bombardment raining down on him... can't get a lot more final than that people. To quote Ask a Ninja, "anything's possible, but it ain't very likely!"

Tarvitz and the last 100 of the Loyalists though, are in the Palace under which is rumoured to be a hidden shuttle bay that Rylanor went to go find before the Traitors and Loyalists duked it out... hint, hint, nudge, nudge.

I can deffinitely see Aximand doing something though, after all with the death of Torgaddon and Loken he was described in a very broken, lamentable manner and redeeming himself later is certainly a possibility.

I can actually see Aximand dropping the shields of Horus's ship, or some other major betrayal of Horus. I remember a passage after the Mournival clashed when Abaddon looked at Aximand, and thought something along the lines of "I better keep a close eye on him".

wolf lord kieran

Archived