Wulfen in a 13th Company

roon

Hello everyone,

Well since it seems the new codex is still far away, I decided to create myself a 13th Company warband. Now the EoT codex shows us a warband that scavenged alot of its armour from fallen Chaos Marines, my plan is to create a 13th Company that has the looks of just being sent after the Thousand Sons. So more an original look on its armour rather then being in the Eye for 10.000 years.

Now here my question: Is it fluffwise possible to field those Wulfen Packs then? I mean, of course the 13th Company IS the Company that carries the MotW, but did they have large groups of Wulfen marines at that time already?

Thanks!

Roon

In a word: Yes.

The 13nth company was IIRC specificly made to house the members of the legion who were cursed with the mark of the wulfen. They didnt just have large groups of them, they had over 99% of them, and extra wolfpriests to help manage them. There were other units too, as it was made to be an effective and tactical fighting force, but most of the members, sans priests, were possesed by the canis helex.

For notes on Pre-heresy armor types/colors/insignia, well use the searchy as theres alot of good threads on that topic stretching back to 05 atleast right here on the forum.

Best of luck! Last I say wulfen were going for 5 bucks a peice on ebay, and the ones you find in stores are rare treasures.

Not that I'm doubting Grey mage, because my Book-search-fu is terrible, but the 13th company wasn't used for wulfen, it in fact was sent to the warp by Russ (we all know this story), but currently the stone somewhat meshes all the fallen and forgotten war heroes in the great companies.

They had lots of rune priest (over the previous statement by Grey Mage that they had lots of wolf priests to control all the "abundant" wulfen). These psychers were used to help navigate the warp in their hunt for the thousand sons and magnus.

Jorin Bloodfang's "Wulfen-kind" was known to make more use of the wulfen than the other chapters, but it doesn't mean he had more of them, could have been, but I don't find it anywhere where there is a distinct number difference at the time.

While the 13th company does have a lot of the wulfen, this is solely due to the fact that they've had more time than the average space wolf to succumb to the canis helix's curse and since they're not under constant inspection by the =][= they have nothing to hide (whereas the normal Space Wolves don't want the wulfen to be discovered.

The core of a 13th company army is the grey slayers, these are the toughest troops out there, and they are the backbone of any 13th company army. While everyone, (save the wolf priests) have the curse inside them, to what extent isn't clear, but to say 99% are already wulfen isn't true, they simply are resisting the urge until time calls for them to show their true form.

I would have liked GW to resemble the 13th company somewhat better where everyone in the army has the mark, but each turn you had to roll to see if they "transformed" but they would have had issues balance wise. This would have gotten more wulfen models sold, as you'd replace your grey slayers and such with the wulfen models... I guess it would have been a pain to have your expensive long fangs turned into a mindless raging killer though. ;)

So to answer your question about the 1ks armor, that is perfectly fluffy, it's what they were sent out to do anyways. I'd say go for it, and provide as many photos as you can! :P

To answer your other question, there were already "warbands" of wulfen that were used in many battles during this time already, and they were present at the fight against Magnus so I don't see a problem with it.

Again, some of this might not be as accurate as most is off the top of my head. The best person to inquire about this is probably Dark B. he has extensive knowledge of our records and his word is always taken on open ears.

the 13th is the company of space wolves that bore the mark of the wulfen. at the time they were indeed all wulfen as we know them. however through out their many years in the warp few of them have been able to stop the spread of the wulfen and keep some sense of mentality. these are the ones we field with MotW and not as wulfen.

however the same book that says this ( the horus heresy collected visions) also says that the space wolves numbered in the thousand of thousands.

Well, then it's ok to add some Wulfen I guess. Now the question, to convert them, or to use the metal ones from GW...

Since you can make converted ones look like fresh marines instead of the Eye of Terror dwellers, that's an option, but then again, I have 20 metal ones on my displaycase (still unpainted though...). And those got clearly some Chaos parts. Choices choices... :)

Well I use khorne bezerker parts for my wolves. Mainly because I have many in excess, but I also like the running poses.

My advice would be to get a box of the 1ks and with that you can make about 3-4 squads of wulfen (about 1\3 - 1\4 1ks parts to each wulfen) and it's be plenty.

Also putting 1ks's on the bases of the wulfen help out as well. Considering a lot of the wulfen's armor is already gone who's to say they'd be sane enough to repair their armor? ;)

The core of a 13th company army is the grey slayers, these are the toughest troops out there, and they are the backbone of any 13th company army. While everyone, (save the wolf priests) have the curse inside them, to what extent isn't clear, but to say 99% are already wulfen isn't true, they simply are resisting the urge until time calls for them to show their true form.

You misinterpreted what I said. What I was saying was that the 13nth Company had 99% of the wulfen that were in existance within the legion at the time of their leaving, and that that is why there are so many of them in the company today. Not that they were made up of 99% wulfen.

*begins rituals of summoning Rune Lord Beef and Rune Priest DB*

Well, *wipes goat blood off of Terminator armor*, until they get here I'll fill in what I know of the 13th Company. Back in the days of the Great Crusade, Russ banded all those Wolves that succumbed to the Wulfen-rage into the 13th Company where they could be led most effectively. There they were controlled by Wolf Priests who knew how to calm their bestial charges. Eventually at the Scouring of Prospero when Magnus turned to Tzeentch and fled into the Warp, Russ sent the 13th Company after the fleeing Thousand Sons into the warp rift. Since then 10,000 Imperial Years have passed and leaving us Sons of Russ with many unanswered questions about our kin the Wulfen. (Note that this is an synopsis of all fluff I've read on the 13th Co.)

My thoughts however, lead me to think as other have, that most of the 13th Company can control themselves, leaving us with Grey Slayers and Long Fangs and Storm Claws, who all bear the Wulfen-rage to some extent. The most powerful non-Wulfen are those that bear the Mark rules-wise, as these are similar to Mephiston: they conquered their flaw and came out even stronger from it. Those that are true Wulfen are those that are lost to themselves and everyone else but the Wolf Priests, more beast than man, with little in the way of rationality. I wouldn't doubt that many of the 13th Co. have more subdued marks of transformation like even more hair, longer fangs and claws, or other signs.

As Wulfen occasionally appear in the normal Wolves, I can only fear what would happen in the entire Legion (yes I said Legion, we've got enough Wolves floating around to be a Legion Russ-darn-it!) succumbed to the Wulfen-rage yet still retained their minds and former rationalities. If that were to happen, we could face extermination by the =][= or the High Lords for "genetic deviancy". If we did turn though and no one stepped in though... I fear for those that fall under the might of the Legion. ;)

As Wulfen occasionally appear in the normal Wolves, I can only fear what would happen in the entire Legion (yes I said Legion, we've got enough Wolves floating around to be a Legion Russ-darn-it!) succumbed to the Wulfen-rage yet still retained their minds and former rationalities. If that were to happen, we could face extermination by the =][= or the High Lords for "genetic deviancy". If we did turn though and no one stepped in though... I fear for those that fall under the might of the Legion. :)

If we did, the =][= wouldn't do crap because they're pushovers... look at how they backed down when logan confronted them. ;)

I'd love for that day to come, when loyalists have the strength and abilities of prized chaos loyalists, but aren't held down by the deities. They hunt with RUSS and by the emperor, when he returns, there shall be rejoicing and the 13th company will be reunited with their brethren and all xenos and traitors beware because we won't be biting at your heels anymore, it will be your face! :)

Ah but if the High Lords backed up the =][= though, it could be a problem for us Wolves. Of course the common men of the Imperium would stand by our sides as we're the most beloved Chapter of all (take that Smurfboyz). That would cause civil war and be bad for all those involved. So yeah, it's unlikely to happen but it could.

the High Lords and the Inquisition wouldnt be able to defeat the Space Wolves in open warfare. the problem is the cost of such an act. numerous space marine chapters would ally with the WOlves for a number of reason, the guardsmen that love the Old WOlf (especially after he led the Marine effort during the EoT campaign) and tech magos loyal to the Wolves would make any such war more terrible than the Horus Heresy. and lets not forget that the enemies of the Imperium arent gonna let a massive civil war such as this go by without getting their blows in.

all in all, the cost of trying to defeat the Wolves would leave the Imperium too exhausted to defend themselves. M.A.D.

edited for typer error

wolf lord kieran

Indeed, Ive talked about that with some of my more fluff intense friends around here.... and one actually said that was a bit pompous. I then pointed out that the same could be said for the Ultramarines semiautonomous feif around maccragge, the dark angels+successor chapters, the Blacktemplars and successors, and that I wasnt sure, but last Id heard the blood angels successors were pretty close knit too. Trying to destroy any of these chapters would land the emperium in a world of hurt, and destroy it quicker than anything Horus ever did.

unfortunatly turning the entire legion into wulfen is what Madox and the thousand sons tried to do in wolf honor. we also need to think of the dangers that fall into such a tragady; and yes it would be a tragady. the legion would splinter even more then it would be. the wolves would become as beasts and attack the bondsmen and their allies. they would tear each other to pieces in fits of beastial rage. if such a thing ever occured the Space Wolves would be destroyed from the inside out.

Bran Scalphunter is mostly correct. The 13th Company at the time of the Horus Heresy contained most (if not all) of the Space Wolves who had succumbed to the call of the Wulfen. However the transformation into a full Wulfen is normally slow and can even be halted indefinitely. This means that while the 13th Company might (and I stress the word might) have included actual "Wulfen" packs during the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy, they wouldn't have been many.

This also means that most of the marines in the 13th would bear the ritualistic tatooes of the marked and would have golden eyes. Could be some fun painting themes in that.

Bran Scalphunter is mostly correct. The 13th Company at the time of the Horus Heresy contained most (if not all) of the Space Wolves who had succumbed to the call of the Wulfen. However the transformation into a full Wulfen is normally slow and can even be halted indefinitely. This means that while the 13th Company might (and I stress the word might) have included actual "Wulfen" packs during the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy, they wouldn't have been many.

This also means that most of the marines in the 13th would bear the ritualistic tatooes of the marked and would have golden eyes. Could be some fun painting themes in that.

Yay, I'm mostly right! :D Wasn't there some Wulfen in the original Legion though, like the man that gave his name to our bestial kin? Granted the full Wulfen would have been a minority, but I don't doubt there were some pawing around.

@Vash- darn you, now I want to do some 13th Co., and I can't afford it! Darn you for mentioning it! ;)

*sighs* if only they could take frost blades. Im working on my conversion right now with the TLC's.... Wich is kinda funny.... giving the enemy a little taste of tlc. Im interested in what people think though- I think you can take them as pack leaders, at wich point they cant be attached to packs.... and become IC.

A number of people have told me they are WGBG, and then they cant be, and become IC. However I dont see how this is any different than joining a troops/elite pack as above and then being shoved out.

All it says in the codex is a "Wolf Gaurd Model"

Ive always said this means any wolf gaurd, and taken one at the 5 points cheaper price. As long as I have a squad who doesnt have a WGPL in it, then I can say it came from said pack. If I took one for every pack, then I could see the interpretation that it would have to be a WGBG. And thus leading to the idea that you cant take one if each pack has a WGPL, and each IC has maxed WGBG... say when running a vendread and a WGBL. Though I think it would be nigh impossible to run that army unless that was all you were trying for.

It depends grey mage, are you making a MotW model for Space Wolves? or 13th company?

For Space Wolves read here:

You use a Wolf Guard pack leader (so it's 5 points more than a WGBG), give him his equipment, and he's an IC that runs around all happy like until you mess up on LoS and your opponent picks him off with a las cannon. :(

For 13th Company read here:

You upgrade one of your grey slayers or storm claws to a Wolf Guard model at +10 points, then pay the points to give him extra wargear, give him MotW, and he gets to STAY IN THE SQUAD. There he does some sexy stuff, such as "The character and unit are assumed to automatically pass any Morale checks, and will never fall back or become pinned, and will always hit and be hit on a roll of 3+ in close combat."

I always use Wolf Guard in my 13th company lists because grey slayers can't take any special weapons, so he needs to be in there for poppin' da big guyz. Plus it's incredibly fluffy and resembles the whole army as having the curse, and it being unleashed in combat where they wreak their beastial fury on their enemies. ;)

You got it backwards.... WGBG are 5 points more than WGPL's.... and yes its for standard marines. I cant get enough wolves to do a proper 13nth co list. Still in either case you Cannot give them a frost blade as that is for HQ level characters only, as its NA/X pts. As for him getting picked off... he runs about sixty points for me:

WGPL

2xLightning Claws

Runic Charm

Frag/Melta Grenades

Wolf Pelt

57 pts.

Ill often take him along with a six man assault GH pack with PW and MG... in a razorback. He goes into the razor back, they footslog alongside it using it as cover.... he jumps out behind it, the GH tie up a unit, he charges a unit the turn after. Or Ill just run him up the board through cover, and watch as my opponent fears my WGBL and VenDread with Assault cannons enough to ignore him. Atleast the first time or two.

You got it backwards.... WGBG are 5 points more than WGPL's.... and yes its for standard marines. I cant get enough wolves to do a proper 13nth co list. Still in either case you Cannot give them a frost blade as that is for HQ level characters only, as its NA/X pts. As for him getting picked off... he runs about sixty points for me:

WGPL

2xLightning Claws

Runic Charm

Frag/Melta Grenades

Wolf Pelt

57 pts.

Ill often take him along with a six man assault GH pack with PW and MG... in a razorback. He goes into the razor back, they footslog alongside it using it as cover.... he jumps out behind it, the GH tie up a unit, he charges a unit the turn after. Or Ill just run him up the board through cover, and watch as my opponent fears my WGBL and VenDread with Assault cannons enough to ignore him. Atleast the first time or two.

Actually I didn't get it backwards, WGL's are 5 points more than WGBG. I also don't know where you got the idea I said I give them frost axes, because I never did. :huh:

-edit-

On a side note, your MotW guy that you made there is 62 points not 57, if you didn't give him the runic charm then he'd be 57, but with them he's 62 points. :D

Now i´m reunited with my books. Even during the Great Crusade there had been Wulfen. All of them had been sticked to the 13th Great Company. The Curse of the Wulfen was not only a pheanomen of the Fenris born Space Wolf, also the Terran born SW had worne the Curse of the Wulfen. The Wulfen had never been a secret in those days. And Russ trusted them like all other SW. They had earned great honour during the Great Crusade and had been a well respected Great Company.

Archived