Painting: Speed Painting Imperial Fists

Well everybody else has a way, and while they look good they all semed to be taking too much time for me (I'm lazy and have a whole Battle Company to get through).

So I've been experimenting with a quick but decent tabletop standard method and this is what I have:

1 - Assemble minis (obviously).

2 - Undercoat white, and make sure its a good solid coat as yellow is a 'transparent' colour so will show through whats underneath.

3 - Coat with Golden Yellow, again the key here is to get a good even coat - I use an airbrush and the paint mixed 50/50 with my own blend of thinner (diluted screen wash).

LET IT DRY!!!

4- Wash with Gryphonne Sepia - be careful when you wash, it's not about slapping it on like an ink wash, you need to paint this on with a reasonable sized brush (like a 1) paint the whole model then paint away from the flat surfaces and into the crevaces etc. This is important as it stops pooling and dont thin it down and dont use too much - this is critical too speed as you dont want to be cleaning the paintwork up later.

LET IT DRY!!! - AT LEAST 6 HOURS OR THE NEXT STAGE WILL GO A BIT PAIR SHAPED

5 - If necessary, in stages, drybrush (lightly) with Golden Yellow, Sunburst Yellow and Skull White - I am after a technique for 100 marines so I am not mixing colours.

Detail and add decals etc.

Easy peasy - I reckon a squad (one built) would take 5 hours (with an airbrush to help).

Please dont moan about mould lines, sloppy detail work etc. these are my guinea pig minis and it was an exercise to get the yellow I wanted down pat.

gallery_32173_2691_111182.jpg

gallery_32173_2691_46739.jpg

gallery_32173_2691_70141.jpg

Edited by The Angelus Sanctus

I knew there would be an easy yellow recipe in those new fangled GW inks.

This looks really good. My own experiments with golden yellow and (back then) flesh wash were a horrible horrible time in history.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't know amigo.

TBH I doubt it as the Gryphonne Sepia wash 'browns' the yellow, not sure you'd want that effect on orange.

It might work with Baal Red or Ogryn Flesh.

And there is only one way to find out :P

Just remember to let it dry thoroughly ;)