Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Modelling: Tabards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

madscuzzy

madscuzzy

++ VEXILLUM PICTOR ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 2,656 posts
Step 1:
Get a ball of GS. Doesnt hurt if it has cured slightly, say for about 10-15 mins.
Posted Image

Step 2:
Flatten it into its rough shape on a nice flat surface. I use my plastic box here, as GS doesnt stick too well with that kind of plastic. A bit of talcum powder or oil can help prevent the GS from sticking. The semi cured GS does make it less sticky so that is another plus point for waiting.
Posted Image

Step 3:
I start with a V-shaped or triangular fold across the top. The top edges are whats going to be joined to the belt so thats where the stress points are.
Posted Image

Step 4:
Next I add another elongated triangle down the centre. I also make the cuts taper towards the top and also across the surface to give it some smooth shape.
Posted Image

Step 5:
The other side of the triangle...
Posted Image

Step 6:
I define the left side of the tabard, adding the more defined fold, similar to the triangle effect done on the centre.
Posted Image

Step 7:
I cut the left triangle in half, adding yet another fold. By now you should be realising it all about triangles.
Posted Image

Step 8:
And one more, on the right side.
Posted Image

Step 9:
Chop down and neaten as necessary. Note that my folds are softer towards the bottom, as cloth doesnt bunch up as much as it would at the top. Working with this stage at the aroundd 1.5 to 2 hr mark allows you to bend the GS into a more flowy shape helps to make it not look so stiff.
Posted Image

Edited by The Angelus Sanctus, 14 July 2009 - 11:02 AM.

Scuzworks
SL40K - My Models

Forum Rules

Available for Commissions! PM Meeee~!

Master Chaplain Astador

Master Chaplain Astador

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,283 posts
Very nice! I wish I could sculpt like that! lol I might have to try this out tonight! Thanks for sharing Madscuzzy!
Cheers,
The Master Chaplain.

Current WIP
Always Accepting Commission work! Inquire at ExiledMiniatures@gmail.com

monstagames

monstagames

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 72 posts
Very nice, i was just wondering how you did the tabbard on your librarian :evil:

Luther - the fallen

Luther - the fallen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 894 posts
HOLY :lol: Scuzzy.. those are beautiful.. and easy.. Might nick the idea for my T. sons..

Luther...
gallery_10707_11380_16314.jpg
Follow my Work in my Blog: For the Warmaster

NemFX

NemFX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,407 posts
That way is good for flowing ones, but a much easier and cheaper way is to cut a small rectangle-ish peice of pvc, paint it white or tan, draw a belt on it, and voila. Looks good too :P

.. Monopoly just wasn't the same after I called down an orbital strike on Baltic Avenue.
.. There is no problem that 42 heavy bolters can't cure.

New Reno or Bust - The Enclave thread

Terranis Holds - The Kreig 68th derivatives thread

Coop_DH

Coop_DH

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 159 posts
Ok well i just finished a model with your tutorial and others from the DA web site. If i can get some good looking pics i think i can do you some good for it being my first time GSing....you gave good info..
Thanks
Coop
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
-dune

Brother Lorien

Brother Lorien

++ SALIATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 869 posts
Just created a tabard aswell with the help of the tutorial...
One downside though...nice and flowing on the front...but not on the back

Is there a way to remedy this?
Yes, but you get a pretty thick tabard that way :)
Anyway i'm looking for a solution right now, if i find one...i'll post it here

CJ

Posted Image

Skoby

Skoby

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 608 posts
Looks good and I liked the pics in your other topic, what tools did you use? Is a GW sculpting tool and a knife good enough? Even just a sentence per pic would really help as some of the changes between pics are pretty subtle.

Thunder_god

Thunder_god

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,093 posts
Nice pictures, but a few words to describe the actions would be nice too.

Thank you for the pictures.

gallery_24878_5332_50483.jpg

gallery_17224_3068_874.png

Evapilotone

Evapilotone

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 91 posts
This is great. I'll be sure to try this.

AVE DOMINUS NOX

General Ravensong

General Ravensong

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 236 posts
bookmarking this for when I finally get around to doing my deathwatch/sternguard.

QUOTE (Circus Nurgling)

I'm not sure exactly what they are, but they accept glue and paint it seems.

bloodseeker36

bloodseeker36

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 110 posts
this Tutorial is amazing, I made like four of these tabards for my "command squad" in like 5 minutes...I found out though that if you flatten out the GS from the start the fold look quite nice in the end and once the tabard is placed on the model it can be readjusted to create a little fold that can be seen through the back. Truly great work...thanks