Horus Heresy: Collected Visions

daemon*hunter

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/st...;orignav=300810

Does this contain the books of the horus heresy? or is it just the art and stuff?

I want to read the series, and I would really like the artwork, so I was wondering if it has the story, or will I have to by all the books indiviually aswell. I read it other, but I may have missed something... i often do.

As has been said, its definately worth it for the artwork. If you're planning on making a PH force of any kind, its a major source of inspiration!

Also, even though its not comprehensive, it does provide an interesting account of the heresy. Considering that the BL Heresy books have followed the story of the artbooks almost to the letter so far, its worth reading if you want to know what happens next! :HQ:

Have you guys actually read the Collected Visions?

I have it and it includes all the Horus Heresy history (Including Pre Heresy details, additional Imperial backgroun and main points of the Heresy itself which the novels weave extra detail).

You could just buy Collected Visions and hold your own in any Heresy debate!

I found it invaluable for inspiration when making my Pre Heresy Space Wolf army.

Skol,

Mjiol

I have volume II, III and IV. The art is awesome and the writing provides a lot of backstory. But be warned: The writing for them is cheesy as hell. Honesty I thought a 14 year old fanboy was writing it.

Just got my copy of this today. Goes for $30 on Amazon (GW retail has it set at $50!) and is a huge, hardback, beauty! Definitely worth every penny. Can't wait to work my way through it tomorrow and in the coming days.

Aqatone, I believe the writing style was quite intentional. It reads in the kind of style that would have been portrayed in a very old historical or even religious-text account of events. "And lo, Horus did turn the Emperor and say he was a fool" etc. I thinks its an effort to put the books into context a little (they are describing events of 10,000 years ago after all) and the stories have almost aquired a mythical or legendary slant to them.

But yes it is a very simplistic form of narrative :lol:

Aqatone, I believe the writing style was quite intentional. It reads in the kind of style that would have been portrayed in a very old historical or even religious-text account of events. "And lo, Horus did turn the Emperor and say he was a fool" etc. I thinks its an effort to put the books into context a little (they are describing events of 10,000 years ago after all) and the stories have almost aquired a mythical or legendary slant to them.

But yes it is a very simplistic form of narrative :P

Oh, absolutely I've no doubt of that. But I couldn't help but feel the writer was sat there on his bed writing it with crayons.

As has been said above, it's a great book. Only thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the book as well as the artwork, background, there are interesting little bits of unique info buried in the text eg. world names, characters, previous mentions of campaigns/battles, mentions of aliens conquered, numbers of troops sent to mars for example and so on...Nothing huge but interesting nonetheless.

I personally liked the mention that in the chaos of the age of strife, aliens (dark eldar IIRC) had taken to raiding and enslaving humans on the moons of some of the outer planets (like saturn) of the solar system but the emperor drove them away after conquerring terra.

I'll add my voice to the chorus advocating this book. I got mine on sale from Amazon

and it's great.

As others have said, the artwork alone makes the book a worthy buy. I've only read

a small part of the text, there is just so much to look at in the book that the text is

something that can be read later.

A large book, well put together and at a bargain price.

Thanks,

Tom

I actually find a ton of things "wrong" about that book. Sure, there are some really nice illustrations in there, especially of the attack on Prospero. But, there is also alot of really terrible artwork from the Horus Heresy card game that looks really childish. Don't get me wrong, i actually think it's great that heresy era wargear is represented as being the actually real world old models (shoulder mounted plasma cannons, OOP rhinos, etc). However, there are some labelling errors which is a tad annoying.

BUT there are some really inspirational pieces in there, pre heresy wolves and thousand sons, very nice. Pre heresy Ultras actually have a few good pics as well. But i will not forgive them for inventing this gunmetal gray color scheme for Sons of Horus which never existed

Never existed you say? Well if one is to get technical about it... :angry:

A major foundation of the hobby, and I would say even more so concerning pre-heresy, is imagination and creativity. Never let anyone tell you what 'can' and 'cannot' be.

(Although I am with you on the picture of the purple Ultramarines purely just for aestetic tastes!)

I know, and it could be said that the truth is lost in legend, which is a great out for GW constantly rewritting the fluff. It just sucks that bringing my sea green SoH to a tournament and no one knowing what the hell they are. But if brought gunmetal gray, i guess there's an equal chance they wouldn't know. It doesn't help that they are described as sea green in the HH novels and the cover of Horus Rising has them as gunmetal. Oh well.

I know what you mean, I had a similar experience trying to explain my PH world eaters. "What are those?" "World Eaters" But they don't look like world eaters?" "Thats because they are pre-heresy" "why aren't they red?" "Because they are pre-heresy" "Umm what are those tactical marines. Why aren't they all beserkers?" "because they are pre-heresy" "Don't you have any daemons?" "No, they are pre-heresy" "what are those guys?" "They are a death company proxy, those are the beserkers" "so you're not using the chaos codex?! OMG What the hell?"

Although I have to admit the majority of people have smiled and nodded in realisation when i say they are world eaters, its the odd face meets palm that I seem to remember, and how people who are involved in a hobby that is made possible by imagination at the same time can have an imagination that is so utterly stunted.

• 4 weeks later...
I thought that the HH artbooks were just a collection of the art from the card game, and the story it tells is a basic telling of the then current details of the heresy and the HH novels were started after the artbooks proved people would read this stuff?

It is a massive tome of artwork and also ha a fairly extensive account of the entire Horus Heresy, all the way down to a blow by blow account of the final battle between The Emperor and Horus, The Emperor's entombing on the Throne and the final words of both.

If you want ALL the details of what lead up to all the major events and what happened in between and why you'll need the Horus Heresy novels.

Both are worth it in the extreme.

I know, and it could be said that the truth is lost in legend, which is a great out for GW constantly rewritting the fluff. It just sucks that bringing my sea green SoH to a tournament and no one knowing what the hell they are. But if brought gunmetal gray, i guess there's an equal chance they wouldn't know. It doesn't help that they are described as sea green in the HH novels and the cover of Horus Rising has them as gunmetal. Oh well.

HORUS' armor was described as sea green, but I don't think the Legion's colors were ever described. The armor color was based off this

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/a/a0/SonsOfHorusMarine.jpg

a sea-greenish grey. Interpretations are divided from there...

Sort of like the Alpha Legion. Blue or purple...depends who you ask.

The Word Bearers too. Grey, green, or steel.

Pretty sure the "official fluff" including the fluff/written aspect of the HH art book has the Luna Wolves as a gunmetal grey/white, and the Sons of Horus as a sea green... Which has been the case for a while.

If anything the only problem I have with the HH artbook is the plethora of mislabeled images (labeling an image of an Emperor's Children squad (in PURPLE and GOLD armor) as a Sons of Horus or Luna Wolves squad, etc. Stuff like that)

Archived