has/is it possible for a traitor to untraitorfy?

wiplash

I suppose it depends on the level of corruption. The path of chaos has always been depicted as that once started upon you can't leave and I think that it's not the Imperium that they'd need to be worried about but the power that they turned to.

I can't see Khorne letting one of his champions go quite so easily.

Some of the more modern chapters that rebelled in the Badab war were granted the Emperor's forgiveness on completion of a penitent crusade. Some of the Fallen that were scattered across time and space have adopted normal lives seeking to atone for their past misdeeds.

At the time of the Heresy the Inquisition wasn't around and chaos wasn't fully understood. I'd say that anyone that has made a pact with chaos is pretty much up the creek as they have effectively sold their soul and are damned.

Psykers or more specifically Librarians were seen as dangerous mutants back then so it's unlikely that they'd have the training to undo the damage done by chaos as they'd have a much lesser understanding of it's true nature.

So if they went traitor it might be possible but if they turned to chaos I say that it is unlikely. It might be possible if they were possessed though and some how managed to cast out the daemon but not sure if they'd be welcomed back with open arms.

One of the Asset Cards for the 13th Black Crusade campaign listed in WD had one of the Navigators of the Chaos fleet deciding to repent and return to the Emperor. Since he's still in the EoT, there's no way he'd survive, but the Emperor give him the strength to steer his ship of course, destroying it in the warp, along with him and its large cargo of mutants bound for the front lines.

Once tainted by chaos, the only way you can be cured is to be destroyed.

I'm sure that's what the Imperial priests say, but I doubt that is the truth.

Even posessed marines are described as retaining the lion's share of their will. So long as you have will, you have choice. The Imperium may never take you back, but that doesn't mean you can't turn your back on chaos.

Is everyone forgetting Badad? Lamenters went rogue, but were accepted back into the Imperium. They weren't possessed though, so it's less of an issue that a straight up CSM coming back to the good side. If you do something bad, prepare for a huge punishment. 1000 year crusades are never easy.

They were rogue, not Chaos marines though.

I had typed out a whole chunk of writing about them in my firs tpost but edited it out once I realised this..

Meh, I had skimmed this looking for the keyword 'Lamentor'. I was looking at the title where it says Traitor Marine. Bummer

Soul Drinkers.

Bam.

They went from Chaos lackeys back to loyal servants of the Emperor, even though they aren't recognized as such by the Imperium. So, the answer to your question is a "sort of." They are still physically mutated (except the new recruits) and tainted because of this. But they have brought their beliefs back in line with the Imperials.

And before anyone starts the "well I don't know how much I'd believe that because <insert random slight against the author or Black Library>," I've never read ANYTHING saying any different.

So again: Bam.

if memory serves, the Lamenters and the other two legions that helped the Red Corsairs during Badab hadnt turned to chaos, they were just going to the aid of a fellow space marine chapter ( in their minds i mean ) who were under threat from the inquisition, they never had any anti-imperil tendancies.

I remember a short story in INFERNO about an astral claw librarian who repented, managed to get himself captured by white scars and offered to attempt to help them trap Huron Blackheart. Idea being he would return to the Red Corsairs, find out where they were going next then tell the Scars who would then be ina position to trap the Corsairs and destroy them. Unfortunately he was discovered when he went back to the corsairs, and locked into a dreadnought chassis with a psychic nullifier on and left chained up. he went mad rather quickly...

Repent should be difficult once you have no soul left, but it hasn´t been a handicap for Malus Darkblade in WHFB novels. Actually, he´s hosting a Greater Daemon inside his soul and he has a normal life, so I guess that repent is possible as long as you keep some remnants of will, and I really think it´ll be a very good story if a 10.000 years old Astarte tries to get his sould back from his dark lord and return to the service of Humanity. It´s probably gonna end pretty bad, but who cares?

I really hope that some old school Chaos Astartes take this way and try to recover their souls, I like them too much.

Some of the more modern chapters that rebelled in the Badab war were granted the Emperor's forgiveness on completion of a penitent crusade. Some of the Fallen that were scattered across time and space have adopted normal lives seeking to atone for their past misdeeds.

yeah but the dark angels are still trying to kill them

Soul Drinkers.

Bam.

They went from Chaos lackeys back to loyal servants of the Emperor, even though they aren't recognized as such by the Imperium. So, the answer to your question is a "sort of." They are still physically mutated (except the new recruits) and tainted because of this. But they have brought their beliefs back in line with the Imperials.

And before anyone starts the "well I don't know how much I'd believe that because <insert random slight against the author or Black Library>," I've never read ANYTHING saying any different.

So again: Bam.

actually the Soul Drinkers were never worshippers of Chaos. If you read the books they rebelled against the Imperium, but NEVER the Emperor. They always stood by the faith in the Emperor of Mankind. They were more like Robin Hoods, then evil. They were mutated by Chaos influence, without ever realizing it till later. When they learned some Daemon was watching them carefully, Sarpedon(Chapter Master for those who ahven't read) destroyed it. They managed to repurify their geneseed and the mutations were no longer growing, and new initiates came out free of taint and mutation.

They NEVER brought their beliefs back in with the "Imperials." They despise what the Imperium is. What they NEVER betrayed was their faith in the Emperor. Again, if you haven't, read the books, if you have, re-read them. They never stopped fighting for the Emperor.

I'm reading them right now. They worshiped 'the Architect of Fate.' Even if they thought that was a different name for the Emperor, they still worshiped a Chaos entity. In the end they realize their error, and break "free" of the entity's influence. Then they go forth doing what they feel is the Emperor's work, although not necessarily the Imperium's. I chose my words poorly, I'll admit. So basically, using them as an example, a Chapter so inclined can break free of Chaos influence.

I also read that short story, Leonaides. It was in the Into the Maelstrom compilation of short stories. It also illustrates a chance at redemption.

i didnt so much mean possession of chaos just turning to chaos and then turning back to the Emperor (or rebeling then coming back to the Emperor)

surviving being possesed makes you a, errm the word escapes me, the people that can enter the black library doesn't it?

the idea first came about when i was making a DIY/count-as SW chapter and making up fluff for each of the entries, so i was thinking of having the blood claws as khorne beserkers that had been tortured physically and mentally expelling chaos from them but leaving them more fragile (hence BS and WS 3)

but now im not doing that so...

thought i'd bring the question up anyway

would it be harder or easier for a phsyker to turn their back on chaos? the phsycic link must be hard to break but then again they will have more mind power

Archived