How to face a Drop Pod of Sternguard?

Gentlemanloser

Facing a Drop Pod Advance of one or a couple of Pods filled with Sternguard worries me. I can't think of anything do do versus it.

Kill Points aside, they will undoubtidly be dropped on the objective/s I hold in my deployment zone. And to keep them scoring, I'll ave to have either Power Armour or Scout Troops on them.

The Sternguard will be able to Rapid Fire either 20 AP3 shots, or 20 ignore Cover shots, depending on who they face on landing.

I really don't know how I'll be able to face that, and keep control of my Objective/s, while then having an offense to try to claim my opponents (or go for the annihalation).

Maybe I should just aim to annihalate everyone every game and forgo trying to manage scoring units and objectives. It seems to work fine for my Deamon opponent...

well i know how you feel being that i have the same problem with them because there so many role they can file and yet i wonder how they are suppose to work when they just an extra unit in the army to began with. there very offense or defense unit depending on the role you give them and yes drop poding them is a very good tactics if you trying to attack someone. got a better question for you thoe if you going to drop pod why not place them as one of the frist 2 drop pods in the army and run nother unit with them also it would seem to me that you looking at running one not two? why not and just comment to the running a unit that could be a tip of your spear and the base of the army diepending on who you play alot of time. also rember this you can add squad weapons to incrase there usefulness of just being an attack dog...

My first inclination is to say "stick to cover when guarding objectives."

Say you're using tac Marines to claim an objective. Park them inthe closest cover. The Sternguard arrive, and open fire. It is now the OPOONENT'S burden to choose what to shoot you with. If he chooses the AP3, you get your cover save. If he chooses to ignore cover saves, you have your armor save. Any smart opponent will always go with the AP3 against MEQ. But the lure of negating the cover save will trap some players who think it's great fun to negate a useless cover save.

You might also consider positioning yourself so that you have plenty of supporting units near your defensive objectives. Sure, the Sternguard might get a rapid fire burst off at one unit (hopefully a Combat Squadded unit), but they then have to face the full wrath of whatever support units you have nearby.

That actually makes a good argument for Combat Squads. If you're deploying to defend own-zone objectives, combat squad your 10-man unit! Keep them nearby one another. It would take a double-concentrated Sternguard squad to take them all out in one turn, and that's a massing of expensive troops in one place, prime for a counterstrike.

If you're deploying to defend own-zone objectives, combat squad your 10-man unit! Keep them nearby one another. It would take a double-concentrated Sternguard squad to take them all out in one turn, and that's a massing of expensive troops in one place, prime for a counterstrike.

The Sternguad simply combat Squad the moment they disembark, and massacre your two combat Squads. :/

You could always ally in a DH inquisitor with a couple of mystics. Free shots at deep strikers, woo hoo!

Hmm.. Would you have to shoot at the Pod though? As the Unit inside wouln't have disembarked until it lands.

Edit: Checked the FAQ. ;)

You can shot at the pod, or the unit. The free shot is after disembarking. I think I've found the answer in Mystics! Thank you so much! :D

facing off against someone who uses drop pod sternguard well that kinda game of chance because it a guessing game of what is he using his units for. if he drop pod in the attack well that first trun trying to elimiate key unit right off the bat and let say that he combat squad the unit on top of that now you really facing fight just trying ot get them off the table. even if you are able to elimate them then 1 1/2 turns that were fire power at close range and assaut comes into play getting him to drop pod into a worser postion. as i put it 335 point for a sternguard drop pod unit and he running two well i would be more worried about what in the other drop pod also because only able get one on the first turn.

as a matter of fact drop podding is a little trickly because it takes atleast 5 to make a decient drop out of them and you have to decide what support are you going to in the rest while your army fight foward for it starting postion. needless to say foward unit wont service for more than two turn on top of that you need dreadnouht support and termintors assault to even make them worth the value of what i would place them. unless my opp is telling me that i going to win by turn 4 then i would staight for him off the bat...

The real butt-kicker will be when the owner of the podded Sternguard buys the locator beacon on his first pod. The second squad comes in without error, unless you destroy the pod, which is a tough call with all that Sternguard fire pouring at you.

So far, the opponent I'm concerned aobut facing has only purchased a single DP (Hates putting them together, so maybe it will be his last...) and I'm in no doubt it will contain a Sternguard squad for a first turn DPA.

I'm expecting him to up this to three Drop Pods (two with Sternguard, one with a Dread or a Tac Squad) and locator beacons for the two that come in first turn.

:/

Kill Points aside, they will undoubtidly be dropped on the objective/s I hold in my deployment zone. And to keep them scoring, I'll ave to have either Power Armour or Scout Troops on them.

Scouts with Camelione are good, and of course a tactical squad

The Sternguard will be able to Rapid Fire either 20 AP3 shots, or 20 ignore Cover shots, depending on who they face on landing.

with the scouts you stay in cover on the objective, practically making those AP3 shots worthless with your high save, and hopefully they'll kill a couple of there own too, marines in cover is also good of course

and with the ignore cover rounds, well easy you have a 4+ or 3+ save depending on the type of unit, so its not that great that hes ignoring your cover save

so thats the special ammunition practically wasted, then just shoot him with plasma guns/cannons and lascannons and watch his small fragile unit die, or watch his big expensive unit waste a few turns killing a few scouts or marines

in a one on one firefight against fellow dug in marines, sternguard are of little threat, there main strength is against weak armoured units out of cover, and lonesome characters and monstrous creatures, if someone is using them to take out a squad of your marines or scouts, be thankful that the person is an idiot

Worry about Sternguard with combi-weapons aplenty. They're dirt cheap. I took two squads of 8 Sternguard, 6 combi-plasma, 2 meltas, in Rhinos and jumped out and slaughtered a full unit of Necron Warriors down to 4 models. If they hadn't had a Monolith behind them to recycle the squad through teleporting and give them two WBB rolls in effect, I'd have slaughtered them down to a model on the next turn.

You can hit someone REAL hard with lots of combi-weapons in a Sternguard squad - and after that initial fusillade they just switch up to whatever ammo will kick your patookus the hardest.

They're great units. Might be the best thing Space Marines got in this new Codex - Marines whose shooting is properly deadly. Worth every penny.

Crimson Fist armies are going to get real nasty considering those Sternguard can score.

Worry about Sternguard with combi-weapons aplenty. They're dirt cheap.

I have a differing opinion what constitutes "dirt cheap." @300+ points for a 10-man unit tooled up with combiweapons is not cheap in my book, but that's purely a matter of opinion.

Worry about Sternguard with combi-weapons aplenty. They're dirt cheap.

I have a differing opinion what constitutes "dirt cheap." @300+ points for a 10-man unit tooled up with combiweapons is not cheap in my book, but that's purely a matter of opinion.

an opinion I agree with, especially when there is so little difference between that 1 plasma shot and an AP3 bolter shot

with the scouts you stay in cover on the objective, practically making those AP3 shots worthless with your high save, and hopefully they'll kill a couple of there own too, marines in cover is also good of course

and with the ignore cover rounds, well easy you have a 4+ or 3+ save depending on the type of unit, so its not that great that hes ignoring your cover save

so thats the special ammunition practically wasted, then just shoot him with plasma guns/cannons and lascannons and watch his small fragile unit die, or watch his big expensive unit waste a few turns killing a few scouts or marines

in a one on one firefight against fellow dug in marines, sternguard are of little threat, there main strength is against weak armoured units out of cover, and lonesome characters and monstrous creatures, if someone is using them to take out a squad of your marines or scouts, be thankful that the person is an idiot

No one would use the AP3 rounds on Scouts. It's Ignore Cover (if they're at 2+ Cover Saves) or wound on a 2+. 20 Shots, wounding on a 2+ is going to decimate, even if you have a 3+ Armour Save.

It's not about an expensive Squad killing cheaper squads, but the removal of Scoring units, or forcing you to keep *more* scoring units back in your DZ to control your own objectives and not having enough strength of scorng units to then go and claim his.

I've faced the sheer ******* of watching whole squads die instantly to 3 man deep strikeing Flamers of T. The Sternguard will be able to do this (even if they have to pump out 10 combi flmaer hits to get past your armour saves), without the vagueries of Deep Strike.

That's what I worry about.

Quick question, are Flamers of Tz AP3? I haven't faced them yet...

Back to OP, I would suggest two squads guarding home base, but far enough away from each other that the Sternguard can only put the hurt on one, even if they combat squad.

On the other hand, keep a Vindicator nearby! They can only spread out so far the turn they arrive... :devil:

RoV

Nope. They aren't AP3. But thier Template psychic power, sorry, shooting attack, gives no armour saves. And as a Template, you get no cover saves either.

Joy.

Stupidly broken unit that.

Thanks mate, I haven't faced them yet. What strength is that template?

RoV

I personally plan to wait for them to be nice and bunched up near their oh-so fragile drop pods and start dropping templates and reams of plasma on their head, nothing in my army costs as much as that unit, i can lose a whole unit to them and not care, just leaves them out in the open for something to blow them to shreds to get into CC where they are not so good.

Dont be intimidated, practically nothing in most MEQ armies will cost as much as they do, if you lose a unit, so what, unless hes very clever with his deepstrike its a unit of marines in the middle of your lines for the purposses of your shooting, and people go through those like a hot knife through butter these days.

Nope. They aren't AP3. But thier Template psychic power, sorry, shooting attack, gives no armour saves. And as a Template, you get no cover saves either.

Joy.

Stupidly broken unit that. ( :D How on earth can you say Wind of Chaos is broken, when this topic is on Sternguard, easily one of the most broken units in the new Codex!?!)

Thanks mate, I haven't faced them yet. What strength is that template?

RoV

The 'Template' weapon has no Strength value. It always causes a wound on a 4+. It’s called Wind of Chaos, and yes, it’s very cool! Broken? No. Sternguard are broken, but Wind of Chaos, nah, not in the slightest compared to Sternguard.

Steve

Archived