necron

Vampirious

I agree; the monolith is a really nasty addition to a 'Crons army. You can't shoot it, because it has way more shooty power (particle whip, destroyers), assaulting it doesn't work very well since the "pull the metal people out of combat" move happens in the movement phase; so the 'Cron player can shoot the (blasphemous, blindfolding) Imperial Creed out of whatever charged the squad.

I'd have to say that this seems like one of the few times that Vanguard Veteran squads seem useful. Having 3-or-so minimum-size Vanguard Vet squads (with power weapons if you can free the points) deepstriking and getting stuck in with seperate warrior squads might work.

Other than that, maybe combat squadded assault/close-combat-bikes would work.

The trick with me for dealing with a monolith is to get as many warrior squads locked up as possible so the pull-out-of-combat move isn't very effective. Stay in combat, and eventually you'll reach your Phase-Out number.

Yes that isn't a bad tactic, except against a certain few types of Necron Player (including myself)

For example. Its a 2'000 point battle.

I will have two Monoliths. That lets me pull two squads out of combat.

However I also have two Lords with Resurrection Orb and Veil of Darkness. Expensive? Definately, Worth it? 50/50

While imperfect in any one given turn when being hit hardest I can potentially withdraw FOUR units from combat at once. (Its not a perfect tactic but it has saved my hide more than once.

You can't have 2 veil of darkness (except in apocalypse, in which case you really should have 3000 points, not 2000)

The ROVoD Lord is one per army, but as a necron player you shouldn't leave home without him.

With the new sweeping modifiers to Leadership, the tactic is extremely valid; you can't res from being swept even if you have an orb, and you almost certainly will be swept if he packs a few power weapons. Necrons simply don't survive combat anymore.

You can't have 2 veil of darkness (except in apocalypse, in which case you really should have 3000 points, not 2000)

The ROVoD Lord is one per army, but as a necron player you shouldn't leave home without him.

With the new sweeping modifiers to Leadership, the tactic is extremely valid; you can't res from being swept even if you have an orb, and you almost certainly will be swept if he packs a few power weapons. Necrons simply don't survive combat anymore.

*Checks* Ah... I knew I hadn't actually used in in battle before.......... now I know why I felt odd posting that post.

Yeah, you can't res if you've been swept but if you're teleported out they can't sweep :(

But then I know some players that'll take good-sized Scarab units to tie up CC units. And i'm thinking it'll be even more valid now against monsters like the Vanguard Vets.

Archived