"Secrets and Lies"

Brother Barkus

Having fallen in love with these overly secretive and possibley misunderstood (but probably not) marines I'm curious how to represent them on table top. Since the new space marine codex came out the traits from the old one are undone so no infiltration for everyone (cries). In any case I'm looking for opinions on wether C:SM or C:CSM is better to represent them and how one would go about doing it.

Many thanks!

The traits were definitely the best system for AL, but I think with the new SM codex you could do it pretty easily if you're going for the "operatives" kind of army. Just use scouts for your troops and field a few hard-hitting Tactical or Sternguard squads in drop pods. Scout Bikers get the homing signals so you can bring your pods in accurately.

Chaos would be the way to go for power-armored infiltrators, just load up on Chosen.

Hope it helps!

the problem with both of those options is the scouts are Ws/Bs3 and the chosen, aside from being expensive units, are not troop choices.

both are good ideas, but you'll need something more than a unit of sternguard to give them some added punch if you go with the scouts, and for the chosen... hmm... to be honest i'd go with basic chaos marines as none of the others seems to fit their character very well...

just as a side note, your avatars look 'suspiciously' similar.... is the loyalist really a chaos in disguise? well we are talking about AL here.... lol

Chosen are a very Alpha legion-ish unit since they have infiltrate. You can use summoned lesser daemons to represent cultists. Icon of chaos glory will go well with the other units.

Deepstriking termies also screams alpha legion. No possessed or cult troops or oblits. Pretty much everything else is fair game though. You can either have a bunch of termies and chosen supported by some small squads of CSm's with icon of chaos glory that summon daemons units (count as cultists) to provide more bodies. In this setup the marines will do the killing while the daemons take objectives or screen/lend numbers to assaults or hold up MCs that would otherwise chew through your marines.

Cool. I agree on both points. Though I've actually found a way to infiltrate (in a way) with the marine codex. Just use the Khan character and outflank, seems pretty Alpha legionish to me and some scout for flavor. Though I'm not too certain about the effectiveness on table top. Opinions?

Oh and fluff wise is the effrit stealth squad just one group or more? And finally is their armor blue or purple? I'm looking at the cover on legion and it seems purple but I may be wrong.

Archived