My Log Woo

bluewolf74727

Alrighty...where to start...first, I'll ask a few questions, then we'll see where you are, and go from there.

First off, what kind of spray primer are you using; brand and color?

Second, what kind/brand of paints are you using? =] <edit>I see the picture above now, and think I just answered this one[=

Third, what are your painting goals? To be the best in the world...display quality...high table top...in other words, what level do you want to achieve?

Fourth, how do you thin your paints? =] <edit> I think I answered this one too[=

We'll start there. ;)

1 GW black or The Army Painter white

2 vallejo GW and privateer press

3 to be at a simlar level to you and the other top painters o this forum

4 i use water but have access the vallejo thinners and glaze medium

1 GW black or The Army Painter white

2 vallejo GW and privateer press

3 to be at a simlar level to you and the other top painters o this forum

4 i use water but have access the vallejo thinners and glaze medium

1 - Good...just checking to make sure you're using primer, because your (older) Chaplain has a lot of bare metal showing through. A neat little trick a lot of us do is to attach the model to its base, and stick it to an old GW paont pot with "sticky-tac"...the poster hanging putty stuff. Another thing I've started doing, is drilling a pin hole in a foot, and attaching the model to a wide bottle cap, like a Gatorade cap that has a large paper clip permanently affixed. Basically, you straighten the paper clip out, drill a hole through the bottle cap, and shove it through...glueing it in place. You then stick the mini on top, and you have a nice wide base to handle, instead of the mini.

2 - Good...these are all quality paints.

3 - To get better, you have to do your homework. that means searching constantly online for tips and tutorials...or even seeing something and trying it. Painting a model, then asking for feedback is like committing to cook a gormet meal, and asking how it is after the food is served. In fact, you should be asking for feedback while your cooking. Does that make sense?

4 - Water is fine...be sure to change it out frequently, and use coldwater...and filtered water when possible. Also, remember, it's far easier to apply 10 coats of thin paint, than remove 1 coat of thick paint. When in doubt, thin too much. With practice and patience, you'll just 'feel' how much water to thin with.

I'd like you to try something simple with this new Chaplain. Prep the model well...remove moulding lines, etc., and prime the mini white...yes, even on a black Chaplain. I want you to alternate washes of dark brown, and dark blue...the darkest shade of each you can find. In other words, wash thinned dark blue, then after that dries, wash thinned dark brown. All over the armor...you can be sloppy, but make sure your coverage is even. Try that combo one time (2 coats of paint total), and take a pic...then post it.

*If you want to try it on a spare model first, we understand.

OK...first thing(s):

Thickness and coverage.

The paint is still a bit too thick...again, it's easier to add extra layers than to remove them. As for coverage, do you see how some areas are splothcy brown, and some are splotchy blue? Ideally, you want it nice and even. This ties in with the thickness issue. It's much easier to get even coverage with thinner paint, and more layers. You want to make sure paint gets to all the areas of the whatever you're painting...the cracks, recesses, depressions, raised areas...everything! Also, I would suggest getting the chaplain stuck to something, so you're not rubbing paint off by touching the model.

Your options now are to strip it and start over...or try to add some really thinned blue to it. Your call.

If you decide to add blue to it to try and fix it, you'll have to really thin it down. So much, that the next few layers will be hard to see that anything else has been done.

its being striped

so i need to thin my paint more ok will try that on a spare marine

pics will be up when i am done

first coat of regal blue wash thined down more then last time

front

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/bluewolf74727/100_0566.jpg

back

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/bluewolf74727/100_0567.jpg

There ya go...I realize the primer spray screwed you on that mini right there, but you have the idea now. See how even your coverage is? Everything is smooth (as much as it can be with the primer issue), and your color has done a little bit of the shading for you.

The only thing that's going to hurt you on this particular Marine, is the gritty primer. Mine used to do that...either your spraying in cold weather, or your nozzle tip is gunked up.

You're on the right track now, though.

Like lunchbox said, you are making strides here. Stop before you prime another model and get yourself another can of some good stuff. Also make sure the can of paint is inside and warm (room temperature of roughly 70 degrees) and that the model is warm when you go to apply. Shake the can A LOT, and then test spray some sprues. If it's still clumping then the temperature is wrong or the model is greasy and needs to be cleaned.

No problem. It is very important to understand what temperature does to paint. Now... if conditions are too hot the paint will cure mid-air and simply land on the model which puts you right back where you started: needing to strip the mini. You don't want it to be too cold or too hot.

- If it's hot, try to spray in a cool area. Keep the paint and the mini's "cool" but not cold.

- If it's cold, try to keep the paint and mini's warm via a hotlamp. Heat makes the paint cure faster.

thanks again

just done the first coat of bestial brown

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/bluewolf74727/100_0570.jpg

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/bluewolf74727/100_0571.jpg

just noticed some patches in the brown and i am in the process of trying to rectiffy them

still striping the termi chaplain so got some spcae marine vet sergeants

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/bluewolf74727/100_0572.jpg

Dreadnought Krell

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/bluewolf74727/100_0575.jpg

the start of the Blue Wolves chapter

• 2 weeks later...
first coat of regal blue wash thined down more then last time

That coverage is really nice. One of the hardest things while learning is figuring out just how thin your paints need to be and how little you actually should have on the brush in order to get a nice even coat without splotching or blotching or dripping. I painted and stripped about 20 minis before I was somewhat satisfied with my ability to lay down an even coat (and I think that blue coat looks way better than any I've ever done!).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived