How do you guys beat Mech Tau at 1500?

HERO

I know Mech Tau isn't as popular with 5th edition rules because of the low Troop count, but how do you guys manage to beat 1500 points of Tau with 9+ Battlesuits, 2x Hammerheads, some Boardsides and 2x Devilfish as dedicated Troop carriers?

All Battlesuits are either Fire Knife or Death Rain.

I'd say a combination of the above, Two five man Sternguard squads with Lascannons (cheaper than Devastator squads) and drop podding Sternguard with lots of combi meltas and a Librarian to gate them after the fleeing Tau. Combine with a couple of cheap Dreadnoughts in pods to take out the remaining tanks, although it'll mean you have to take the Master of the Forge. Stick the Master on a bike with a conversion beamer and have him be a nuisance all game.

I'd couple the above with some CC scouts (Marines are overkill in hand to hand with Tau) all with cloaks to boost their cover save (I don't think Tau have any weapons that prevent cover saves???). Infiltrate or outflank the Scouts as close as you can and storm in. Hold your own objective with a ten Sniper Scout squad with cloaks in bolstered terrain and laugh while the Tau can't shift you due to the 2+ cover and they daren't assault either.

If you've the points the Thunderfire can be a real pain for Skimmers or Jump Pack Squads if you use the Earthquake shot, forces them to take Dangerous Terrain tests.

I play 2 armies, UM and Tau.

As a tau player i dont condone the mech armies, its about the only way to cheese out a tau army and its something that i hate seeing.

As for how to beat them, i would do the following.

a : Use psykers, tau dont have any and cannot 'nullify' your psychic attacks.

b : Take out the hammerheads first, they have two weapon systems the smart missiles lauch 4 S5 per turn and the railgun is S10 AP1 or submunition S6 AP4 large template. And can be upgraded to fire at 2 different units.

c : All Tau vehicles are skimmers, so whilst they are moving an immobilised result will destroy them, stationary they can use landing gears

d : A tech army wont have many markerlights, which in my experience are essential for winning any game

e : The crisis suits can have 3 weapon/support systems, i havent learned the names of each type yet but in ley terms they can:

Have 2 weapons and upgrade to fire them both in one turn

Have a targeting array to upgrade thier BS by 1

f: The crisis suits to watch out for would be the commander and his bodyguard, they can have up to 100 points of upgrades each, so will prob have 2 weapons each and some drones hanging about.

When shooting at a unit containing drones, use your lower powered weapons first, as the 5th ed wound allocation rules means you can hit the main guys with heavy weaps, remember if you kill the drone controller the drones die too!!!

Fire warriors have S5 AP 5 weaps but only have a BS of 3 so will only hit on 4's wound on 3's versus marines.

Marines against fire warriors (bolters) hit on 3's wound on 3's so dont be scared of going toe to toe!

(12 FW's with devilfish are about 220 ish points) about the same as a 10 man marine unit.

All tau are poor in CC and most players freak out when enemy units get close, in one game i had to fire every weapon i had at a ten man assault squad, they had 3 men left who promptly charged my commander and bodyguard, they killed the commander and the bodyguard ran away!!!!!

Even a couple of marines will stand a good chance vs any tau unit. And all tau have Initiative 2/3 so you will always attack first!

A tactic i use is to take 10 kroot for 70 points and infiltrate them into a wooded area, i then use them as a firing unit (weapons are S4 rapid fire same as bolters!) in woods they get 3+ save so they only way to flush them out is too charge them!.

Hope this helps!

I'm going in next week with this list:

HQ:

Pedro Kantor = 175

TROOPS:

10x Tacticals (Razorback, PC, Flamer) = 215

ELITE:

10x Sternguard (DP) = 285

5x Sternguard (Razorback, 2x LC) = 195

HEAVY:

2x Vindicator (Dozer Blade) = 240

5x Devastator (3x ML, 1x LC) = 170

Let me know what you guys think about that.

It's an all-comers list and I think it'll stand up pretty good against Tau. You guys tell me.

c : All Tau vehicles are skimmers, so whilst they are moving an immobilised result will destroy them, stationary they can use landing gears

Only if they move fast right? I don't think they can get destroyed via immoblised if they move 6" or so. They also don't get the 4+ cover save unless they move flat out.

I'd say a combination of the above, Two five man Sternguard squads with Lascannons (cheaper than Devastator squads) and drop podding Sternguard with lots of combi meltas and a Librarian to gate them after the fleeing Tau. Combine with a couple of cheap Dreadnoughts in pods to take out the remaining tanks, although it'll mean you have to take the Master of the Forge. Stick the Master on a bike with a conversion beamer and have him be a nuisance all game.

I'd couple the above with some CC scouts (Marines are overkill in hand to hand with Tau) all with cloaks to boost their cover save (I don't think Tau have any weapons that prevent cover saves???). Infiltrate or outflank the Scouts as close as you can and storm in. Hold your own objective with a ten Sniper Scout squad with cloaks in bolstered terrain and laugh while the Tau can't shift you due to the 2+ cover and they daren't assault either.

If you've the points the Thunderfire can be a real pain for Skimmers or Jump Pack Squads if you use the Earthquake shot, forces them to take Dangerous Terrain tests.

I'm trying to stay away from a tailored list :wub:

Tau love Melta fire, Mech Tau especially! Treat Suits just like Termnators, they die like them, so pack melta use Drop Pods and Deep Strike what you can. Plasma cannons and Lascannons for you Devastator Squads. This is a case I would take Devastator squads myself, fine some cover to deploy them with and use range weapons to bash away. you know it working when they are firing Rail cannons at you heavy weapons.

HQ:

Pedro Kantor = 175

TROOPS:

ELITE:

10x Sternguard (DP) = 285

5x Sternguard (Razorback, 2x LC) = 195

HEAVY:

2x Vindicator (Dozer Blade) = 240

5x Devastator (3x ML, 1x LC) = 170

Let me know what you guys think about that.

It's an all-comers list and I think it'll stand up pretty good against Tau. You guys tell me.

I'd honestly drop one Vindicator. Sure you have lots of other armored targets to "distract" him, but they are the only ones he can't reliably nail with his rocket pods. So his Hammerheads will take them on first. And 24" Demolisher vs 72" Rail Gun is a losing proposition. If you replace it with some Scout Bikes you can really make his life miserable. The Cluster Mines can do a number on any Kroot and the grenade launchers are great for... well, anything. :HQ: Combined with Outflank or their Scout move you'll be very impressed.

It's not easy....it depends on what you consider "all comers" really. Any pure Mech army is going to hurt non min-maxed armies badly. It's pretty much a case of tournament optimisation vs casual list. The thing is, HIS isn't an all comers list either by any means, so your're kind of handicapping yourself by imposing that extra difficulty.

Take a 100% drop pod army with a ton of plasma guns. Thats all comers and will eat that list alive :P

twin heavy flamer ironclads in drop pods make baby Tau cry. You are practicaly guaranteed to roast a firewarrior squad on landing and the need to use railguns or meltas to kill it. Land two of those on the first turn and watch the hillaritty unfold.

They also don't get the 4+ cover save unless they move flat out.

Tau vehicles can get a disruption pod, which means anyone firing at it from more than 12" treats the vehicle as obscured!

Choosing the correct list is half the battle won really...

If you want my 2cents, id do this:

Take away the vindicators, they are good for what they are but you could spend the points on some land-speeders/bikes/scouts all of which are perfect for taking on tau.

Remember most tau are armour 4+, crisis suits are 3+. they dont have invunerable saves, but do have 2 wounds, a S8 AP3 weapon would instakill them though (much like termies as has been said already!). Although if the unit comes with drones iot could be shots wasted. Like i said previously choose targets and prioritize which weapons you fire in what order and you'll do well.

Heavy flamers are great at taking down fire warriors, and land speeders have the ability to cover the distance needed, bikes are much the same, with thier fast first off movement, plus they can go in CC if necessary and be confident of victory.

Scouts are a must also, starting 12" away from them (bit cheesy but if you can get away with it) and charge them in on the first turn.

Against Tau most 'easy' tactics wont work, you cant form gunlines or hold terrain. You have to cover the distance and keep them from mowing down your assault or fast moving units. The great thing is marines are fearless so apart from some dreadful leadership rolls the tau have to wipe out your units!

The drop pod idea with meltas is pretty sound, the last thing a tau player wants is half the enemy turning up on thier doorstep.

Good luck and happy gaming!!!

I used a Land Raider last night in a 1000 point 3 way battle against Tau and Orks. It held its own quite well against them taking down 1 commander bodyguard a few orks and blowing the gun off the hammerhead but failing to destroy it. However it is a big point sink for a small game.

I've decided that this is the 1500 point list I'm going to take:

HQ:

Pedro Kantor = 175

TROOPS:

ELITE:

10x Sternguard (DP, PF, 4x Combi) = 330

5x Sternguard (2x LC) = 155

HEAVY:

5x Devastators (3x ML, 1x LC) = 170

2x Vindicator (DB) = 240

The Vindicators are going to be at a slight disadvantage, but if the dice gods wills it, I'll get first turn or seize the initiative and get that 30" Cannon push on turn #1. Sternguard and Devastators will try and disable as many Hammerheads as I can while my Drop Podded HQ + Sternguard apply pressure on a flank. Tacticals and Razorbacks offer firing support to each 3-man Battlesuit team; focusing as much fire as possible onto each group until they drop.

I have only faced one Tau list, at 1750. It was very similar to the one you described. All troops buttoned up in Devilfish, Hammerhead with a railgun, couple Pirhana skimmers, jumpsuit HQ and bodyguards, and some stealth suits.

I found my standard all-comers list smoked every vehicle he had. I drop-pod tactical squads with a lone meltagun in them. I also like to use attack bikes with a multimelta. Melta fire pod-dropped behind his line will ruin his day, as will the S4 hits from an exploding Devilfish.

Archived