How do you guys beat Mech Tau at 1500?

HERO

As primarily a tau player, I'll add my two cents.

My tau have never lost to a space marine army before, though they have managed to force many draws. What my biggest problem is lack of troop surviveability. Fire warriors aren't hard to kill, especially if you have heavy flamers.. they wound Tau on 2s and ignore cover. The new whirlwind will have a similar effect.

5th edition has come down to a game of assasinating the oponents troops while minimizing damage to your own. The rest of the armies are just distractions. All you have to do is kill the fire warriors when they try and take objectives.

Battle suits aren't too big a threat as long as you stay more then 12" away from them, they aren't very accurate and at range, they only have 1 armour piercing weapon.

Tau tanks are hard to kill, especially now that disruption pods are awesome, if you shoot them from more then 12" way, there's a 50% chance they will ignore the shot. So try and close in on them and shoot from close range, or even engage them in combat since you will normally hit them on a 4+ now that skimmers are no longer always 6's to hit.

What it simply comes down to is that Fire Warriors are not very well suited to taking and holding objectives, they don't have great leadership, they are decent armour, but low toughness. If you kill the fire warriors then they can't score.

• 4 weeks later...

First this:

TROOPS:

10x Tacticals (Razorback, PC, Flamer) = 215

10x Tacticals (Razorback, PC, Flamer) = 215

Razorbacks only carry 6 marines, not 10, so, are you halving the squads? Combat squads seem to die far more easily than a full tactical squad.

Now, having played Tau and squashed Marines flat in the past, HH is a single shot per turn weapon system. But any Tau player worth his salt is going to make sure that they use their units to maximize your death. Drop pod armies and Deep striking termies would nuisance fire on my army, then die horribly in my fire phase.

The best way to deal with Tau, Mech/Hybrid/static, close combat with supporting fire since they have changed the way close combat works,,,if you kill the Tau in YOUR asslt phase, you will be shot in the face! Vanguards will be a good way to go if you don't scatter poorly, if you can land on target within 6" and announce "Heroic Intervention" and have JUST Vanguards and do not shoot the pistols, you have him!

Fire warriors work well when the D-fish can move and disembark the troops at the crucial last moment. D-pods will be the no-brainer for them to avoid your shooting from effecting them. New Tau players are the ones that the listed tactics will panic or startle. The good players, the seasoned campaigners like myself will merely adapt to the situation.

Also, Mech-Tau is a listed VALID way to go with Tau. GW even supported it and likes it. Now with 5th ed, a good mech list will have about 3x fish squads or more. This will cut down on HH's or he will use the BS, and crisis teams or stealth teams, keeping stealth to 3 man teams. Some players wil flank you with Kroot, I have seen kroot kill temies thru sheer weight of numbers of blows!

D-pods+Flechette discharger+sensor spines will be seeing more use in 5th ed.

D-pod=Obscurement until you get within 12"

Flechette Discharger=Go ahead, close combat with a Porcupine, we marines can roll a good save against these, they mostly hurt the horde type armies, but they can cause casualties as they force those saves.

Sensor Spines=What's difficult terrain??? yeah, they can safely park in trees and buildings as well now! and the Tremor rounds of the Thunderfire will have little to no effect.

Just deal with it, and you will learn how your opponent runs his army, then you can figure what he uses, and what he relies on, if you can take them out, the list will crumble.

My winning list was 3xHH's 3xDF 3xCrisis(fireknife) with commander tossed in and some Piranha for flavor! very redundant but effective s taking out one didn;t have as harsh an effect on my list as a one of each approach. That is the list to worry about.

Granted, now in 5th ed, Tau aren't as shooty as they used to be if they run around at 12", BUT NOW with range 72" and always obscured, who needs to go more than 6" per turn?

Melta bombs, melta weapons, close and hot! flamers and heavy flamers for the soft troops.

cleanse with flame!

I played against 3 hammerheads in a 1000 point tourney (nasty, I know) and was unlucky to onloy get a draw with my balanced marines (two meltaguns -miss 3 powerfist hits against immobilised HH - stunned stunned shaken... objective contested by concused HH... draw)

I had a twin las predator (used cover, but it was more a threat than park in the open and blast hopefully)

a Vindicator (it scared him, so I used it as more threat and sacrificed it for a shot to good to pass up_

5 man lascanno team (winged one HH)

But what made the difference was a melta and combi melta in a droppod (well, it would of if they could hit anything) and outflanking scouts.

Worried about the combat units (scouts etc) getting gunned down after winning combat? Make it worthwhile, and see if you can charge more than one unit at a time. I took out 2 firewarrior units with 8 scouts; they both ran and got chased down after losing combat.

Kill his troops, and try to take the objectives with yours. If you can immobilse the HH or deny an area to them (meltas) then that is almost as good as destroying them. Unlessd they are contesting the objective grrrrr....

RoV

How do Land Raiders fair against Tau?

Are they more of a point sink? Or a blessing because of AV14 and 2x TLLC?

the Landraiders are point sinks and die very fast the ap1 of the st 10 rail guns kills you the take shots form other targets but the Tau love to use broad sides and hammer heads to kick the armor from you lr, and if they are smart they will use marker lights to make the hit on a 2 plus

I prefer when fighting tau the Vindicator it causes far more fear with the tau then the lr, and a group of 2 of these with a tech maring to back them up and keep them working, 3 servitors 1 gun serivtors

mix this with assult troops and bikes and speeders is good as well,

remember the skimmers are fragle but they are good shooters,

kill units then move on, tot he next one,

Iron father TIm

Archived