Raz's Word Bearers - Hell Follows With Them

RazakelXIII

• 1 month later...

Not dead, painting Terminators. Sitting at about 50% at the moment.

gallery_39401_2771_100632.jpg

The guy on the left with the combi-melta isn't a member of this squad, he's there to bring my pre-existing squad up to 6 dudesmen. Also no icons or banners yet, been having trouble deciding what to do for that. Tried a couple different options and I'm not happy with any of them, might have to roll my own. Also ripped the banner off the guy in my Melta/PF termy squad since I thought holding a bannerpole with a power fist looked a bit derpy. Going to either go for smallish back-mounted banners or just stick with little chaos star icons.

...also this happened.

gallery_39401_2771_7094.jpg

Sexy Forge World-ness because the GW Shadowsword looks like gak. I was GOING to wait until AFTER I'd painted the Baneblade, but... Anyway, I've got evil plans for this tank. At the rate I'm going though, it'll be a while. Decimators won't be converted at all aside from some fleshybits and candles, as I already fething love the models as they are. I put them on flyer bases since they didn't fit on the 60mms with the poses I wanted, plus it should give me plenty of room for dead guardsmen. One on the right doesn't have the guns pointing in the same place, not sure if I'm going to leave it that way. Kind of looks like he's just blown something up and now he's considering a new target, I... think I like it?

Considering stripping all my Cultists and painting them brighter, I'm not happy with how dark they are. The whole blood-drenched thing seemed like a good idea at the time but now it just seems like a lazy excuse for not actually making them look nice. I might just try to layer over what's already there, I really don't want to repaint 50 cultists from scratch in addition to the 30 or so I've already got on my to-do shelf. I'm actually kind of feeling like I'm putting myself through No-Fun-Allowed mode while I work through this backlog of models, got to finish up these Terminators (and then another 6 with combi-plasmas - the conversion I've done is a bit pants but it serves its purpose), 2 Defilers and then do whatever I want to do with these Cultists before I allow myself to tackle the superheavies, otherwise I'll never get around to it. I do have a pair of Dreadnoughts sitting around that I could have some fun with should the need arise to break up the tedium, though, so there's that.

• 2 weeks later...

And they're done. Decided to make them a command squad for my Anointed Cohort, so I gave 'em all cloaks. There'll be a Terminator apothecary to go with this squad, he's half-built at the moment, I'll show him off when the sculpting's done. Anyway, pic:

Anointed Command Coterie, Quor Purson

gallery_39401_2771_146879.jpg

I've started painting the eyes (going back and doing this with my whole army is something I've wanted to do for a while, along with clearer, possibly fire-y Legion symbols) and I've also changed the way I paint candle flames - doing way less layers and only going up to yellow, I think it looks much better both up close and at a distance. The pic makes them look kind of yellowy but they're actually mostly orange IRL - I've just done layers of Wild Rider Red, then Fire Dragon Bright, then Averland Sunset.

Next project is touching up my old Terminators (the seventh Termy painted with the above squad is done, he'll be included in the updated group shot for the old squad), then I'll move on to my combi-plasma squad. After that it's on to the Defilers, which I'll be assembly-lining because otherwise I'll never get them done, then I'm probably going to take my time doing some Independent Characters just for some fun... and then it comes to the Cultists, which I've just reprimed. Yes, all of them. I'll likely be painting them in 3 batches of 30, divided into 3 assembly-lined groups of 10. Between each batch I'll paint a Dreadnought and a Decimator for the lulz, and more importantly to keep myself sane. After that I'll finally get to my Chosen, Possessed, and the superheavies.

:woot:  WOW these are amazing and I love your new addition of Terminators, this army is a really awesome that I am now using your tutorial to for my Word Bearers :laugh.:. How do you do your flesh? Do you highlight it with Cadian Fleshtone or something else as I am unable to achieve something like that with your tutorials, anyways amazing Word Bearers as always consider me subscribed and a devout follower of chaos because of you :devil:

• 1 month later...

@Irwit: Mostly the positive feedback from here and Dakka keeps me going, but it helps that I don't think I could switch main armies if I tried. What can I say? I love my Legion. :tongue.: One army shot coming right up - it HAS been a while, hasn't it? I'll find a nice big table once this batch of Terminators is done.

@Coldwinter: If you mean the flesh on faces, yes, it's my basic fleshybit recipe (without the blood) plus layers of Cadian Fleshtone and Kislev Flesh, and a very thin highlight of Screaming Skull to top it off.

Yet another month-long silence and I'm back with more (very PIP) Termies. The washing and highlighting all took place in the last few days, it just takes me a while to work up the will to basecoat. It's mostly the trim's fault, Chaos Termies have SO MUCH OF IT oh muh god.

gallery_39401_2771_90151.jpg

Metal highlights need a bit of de-blob-ification in places, the brush I used was dying. I may replace the combi-plasmas with Sternguard bits... I dunno. I initially wasn't happy with them but they're kind of growing on me. Thoughts?

I think they're a little odd, in that horizontal guns always make me tilt my head a little to figure out why the wielder is doing that.  Though since you're already into the painting stage I'd be really hesitant to scrap them and start over.

Thanks guys. Zephyr, that was my main concern. It was sort of an experiment to see if it could work. Of course Brother Heinrich just posted some gorgeous combi-plasma NL termies with Sternguard bits, so now I'm all jelly. I dunno, depends on how successful I am at begging for bitz at the FLGS next time I'm there.

Anyway, someone on Dakka requested a rear shot of Quor Purson (which I really should've posted in the first place), so here's that:

gallery_39401_2771_136080.jpg

And a preview of coming attractions. It represents another step on my eternal quest to achieve maximum Guardsman overkill.

gallery_39401_2771_29498.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_127398.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_184019.jpg

It's becoming extremely forward-heavy, to the point where I'm getting worried about it tipping over, so I'm probably not adding any more to it. As always, very open to C&C.

I got the fleshybits on the combi-plasma squad done today. Will try to make the final push to finish them tomorrow.

I really like the idea here. However for some reason I think the arm holding the guy looks very phallic. Maybe the camera angles but its just a bit weird. Maybe if both front arms were raised it would help?

Still great idea and very brave of you to go for it.

Lexington: My first thought was that I still have some lasher-tendrils from a Dinobot I'd bought and then gotten rid of. It actually looks pretty damn good just stuck to the Defiler's butt (for lack of a better term). It doesn't help much as a counterweight, unfortunately, but I may just glue it on. Thanks for the suggestion. :smile.:

Irwit: It's probably just the angle and the way the torso is swivelled, but if I was worried about phallic-ness I'd have cut off its battle cannon a long time ago. :laugh.: Plus the fire is actually so heavy the whole model would topple over if I raised its other leg.

Biohazard: Thanks for covering for me, I really need to check my thread more often. :P

So, plasmanators are finished!

Anointed VII Coterie, Quor Zefar

gallery_39401_2771_112309.jpg

And I believe I mentioned a while ago that I'd revamped my old Combi-Melta/Fist squad yet again, so here they are:

Anointed III Coterie, Quor Allocer

gallery_39401_2771_82947.jpg

I REALLY wanted to have an army shot to go along with this update, but I just haven't had time to set one up. Expect one some time this week. Anyway, Defilers are up next... and I'm already developing evil plans for more Heavy Flamer-ing. Hmmm...

Double post, but army shot!

gallery_39401_2771_91220.jpg

You may notice (actually you probably won't because it's behind the tanks but whatever) that Vanessa now has a base. This is because she managed to survive a whole Apocalypse game for once. The universe likes to correct itself when such cosmically wrong events occur, so as soon as I got her home, all her toes fell off and she would no longer stand up. The base is to ensure that this cannot happen again. There Will Be Guardsmen. Anyway, compared to my last shot from June 2nd, 2012:

gallery_39401_2771_9278.jpg

I've come a hell of a long way. 2 full Terminator Squads, 1 Land Raider, 1 Defiler, 2 Hyperioseseses, 2 Predators, 3 Vindicators, a Storm Eagle, 36 CSMs, 12 Raptors, 1 Techmarine, 1 DV Lord and 1 Terminator Lord, all in a little over a year. I've primed back over the Cultists and Billy needs a revamp, but overall if I can keep up this pace I should have most of my to-do pile out of the way in another year.

Speaking of which, unpainted stuff:

gallery_39401_2771_28502.jpg

That's a Baneblade, a Shadowsword, 2 Defilers, 2 Decimators, 2 Dreadnoughts, 4 CSMs with plasmaguns (to swap out with my flamer/melta dudes), 90 fething cultists, 4 various culty looking dudes that I really have no excuse for not painting, a DV Chosen Champion I'll be using as an Acolyte, and Head-Poppin' Billy the Alpha-level Psyker (technically done but I have evil, evil plans to give him a much nicer base). Also the dreaded Red-but-not-THAT-Red Swingline Stapler. Not pictured are 3 Hell Blade Fighters, because I forgot them. :tongue.: They are actually "finished," but I have no bases for them and I kind of want to repaint them anyway, I find them very... dull.

And here's some HQs I've been mucking about with. All extremely WIP and in dire need of Green Stuff.

gallery_39401_2771_128045.jpg

From left to right: Not-Grimaldus (Acolyte?), not-WoC Lord (Captain Kor Akkeron of the X Cohort, need to convert up a Possessed form), Cultist Overseer (I know conversions on the Cairn Wraith + Talos bits have been done to death, but I couldn't resist), Terminator Apothecary, Terminator Sorcerer (VERY, VERY WIP), Terminator Acolyte, Sorcerer, other Sorcerer (not sure if the braziers look funny, opinions?).

Whew. On to the Defilers.

Incredible. To have brought such a large army to such a high quality of conversion and painting is stunning. It's a testament to the strength of the colour scheme that the army looks so cohesive even with the heavy modifications. The banners, the candles, the mass of warriors... it's a real work of art.

Archived