Raz's Word Bearers - Hell Follows With Them

RazakelXIII

Thanks for the comments everyone. Good to see you here, Lemazing.

@SigmaTheRed - I usually just mix up a whole bunch of GS and cut out a rectangle (size depending on how big I want the impurity seal), stick it to a marine/tank, and then go crazy cutting away at the edges with some sprue clippers recently dipped in water (otherwise the GS sticks to the clippers and gets stretched too thin). That's really all there is to the seal itself - the "nail" is just a small blob of whatever excess GS I have left over from the initial mix, or whatever I wind up clipping off the seal. I have a painting tutorial linked at the top of the OP of this thread, it covers how I sculpt the seals with pics if you need 'em.

@lorgar17 - If I have to order bitz, I usually just use various ebay stores. Hoard o' Bitz used to be really good but it seems like their inventory has shrunk recently. I've heard Bulletbits is good but I've only ordered one thing from them. I should also plug Blood and Skulls Industries, I get my Land Raider and Baneblade tank treads there, as well as all other kinds of superheavy-related bits. Honestly, though, most of my bitz I just happen upon in my bitz box. I've been in this hobby for a decade now and I've made plenty of poorly-thought-out impulse buys that have provided me with quite the collection of random potentially-useful bits. As for the Knight, I'm planning to paint it soon, but first I need to get ahold of one of the new missile pods from the new Warden/Crusader/whatever kit. Can't have it not be armed to the teeth.

Actually started painting my Bloodthirster a while ago but it sat around with just a basecoat and a wash for... I guess about a month. Just getting back to it now. Hoping to have an update tomorrow after I finish putting a layer of Mephiston over that, but we'll see.

• 1 month later...

@Lorgar17 - I've tried several times to take photos of my process for sculpting gore and it never turns out well. I would summarize the process as "take a big lump of GS and pull and clip and stab at it until it looks good," although I'm sure that's horribly unhelpful. I don't have any dioramas planned at this moment but I AM getting relatively close to starting a pair of Chosen command squads (just gimme like a year...). May do something guardsman-related with them. If I do I'll attempt to document the process again.

Once again, I emerge from my almost-eternal slumber. I DID start working on that Bloodthirster I mentioned but every time I look at its wing membranes I die a little bit - I don't want to just drybrush them but I REALLY REALLY don't want to have to highlight them. That said, I AM having fun working on the skin. Mostly just done some layering with Mephiston Red, which looks terrible and indistinct here because my camera apparently hates red when it's bright...

gallery_39401_2771_43165.jpg

I have just finished a quick test of the first stage of highlights, though - figure I needed some practice before I went all-out considering how long it's been since I've painted anything bright. Just did some Evil Sunz Scarlet on the leg, and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do at least one more stage, probably with Wild Rider. But y'know what, I'll just shut up and show some leg. That's what you're here for, right?

gallery_39401_2771_185350.jpg

Still looks all blurry and indistinct. I need a new camera, this thing's ancient and doesn't seem to have half the settings it should. I dunno. No idea when I'll have another update but I'm feeling more in the mood for painting lately than I have been in a long time, so we'll see.

• 1 month later...

Aaaand I'm back, with more highlights for the highlight god. Work was painstaking, but very very fun. I'm probably gonna do another stage of orange highlights on the skin - mostly focusing on raised areas and veins - and then move on to the metallics. I'm dreading doing the wing membranes, I see no way around it other than to highlight them by hand.

gallery_39401_2771_760370.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_837581.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_132407.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_476746.jpg

Sorry for the HUGE images, normally I resize them to 1024x768 but these got REALLY blurry when I tried to do that.

Anyway, classes starting soon and my motivation to do hobby things is inversely proportional to how much time I have to do them, so expect more Bloodthirsterness sooner than usual. Or don't. In fact it's probably better if you don't.

• 1 month later...

Big update! I've pledged for the Call of Chaos again this year, and two weeks later, here I am with my "before" pics. We'll get to that in a minute though. First off, I FINALLY did a fleshybit tutorial after... 7 years? Jeez. Anyway, here it is.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Quick preface: I play fast and loose with my own rules all the time, if you want to mix up the order of the steps then go ahead. Do whatever works for you. Sometimes I do step 2 before step 1, this is just the order that was most convenient to photograph.

Step 1: Mix up a 50/50ish mix of Green Stuff and pull or clip out a small, thin, roughly rectangular strip of GS. Apply to the miniature wherever you want it - I generally press one end into a shoulderpad or kneepad and let the rest of the strip hang from there. I either use my finger or an old GW sculpting tool to press the strip onto the model, but either one needs to be wet enough to not stick to the GS while also not drowning it - the actual point where the mini and the GS meet needs to stay dry.

gallery_39401_2771_69120.jpg

Step 2: Grab some sprue clippers and start clipping away at the edges of the GS strip. Your clippers should be at least a little wet, but sometimes it can be a good idea to leave them dry if you feel like the GS strip needs to be stretched out a bit. Be careful not to clip too far into the GS and not to pull so much away that the whole thing rips.

gallery_39401_2771_2385.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_23452.jpg

Step 3 (optional): You can play with "wind" here by using a wet sculpting tool to nudge the GS around. If you choose to do this, keep an eye on the model while the GS cures. If you come back every ten minutes or so and the GS has drooped back to its original postion, nudge it back and eventually it should stay. This is much easier if you have something to stick the other end of the GS to. In the pic I've just attached it to another part of his shoulderpad, use whatever suits the model. This step isn't what I was going for with this mini, so I detached the "hanging" end for the next step.

gallery_39401_2771_103112.jpg

Step 4: Get a very, VERY tiny chunk of GS (I usually use leftovers from the initial mix, or bits I've clipped away from the fleshybits themselves in step 2) and stick it to the very tip of a sculpting tool. This will be the nail holding the fleshybit to wherever you've placed it. Use the sculpting tool to lightly nudge the chunk onto the fleshybit strip, and then delicately poke at it a few more times to nudge it into its final position. If the nail looks too lumpy, flatten it (lightly!) with the edge of the sculpting tool's blade.

gallery_39401_2771_30713.jpg

Step 5: Wait a few hours for the GS to cure (I usually let it sit overnight). Congratulations, you have a fleshybit nailed to your armor. Um... yay?

gallery_39401_2771_93858.jpg

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

And that's the tutorial. In other news, I also have Bloodthirster progress!

gallery_39401_2771_117600.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_135603.jpg

I need to highlight the metallics, the leather and the black bits (horns, wings, claws, fur). Also need to paint the teeth, fingernails and the tongue. Lot of work but we're gettin' there.

Finally, the "Before" shots for my Call vow.

The Dreadnought (with a very rough basecoat - was in the middle of basecoating right as I saw there was a new Call, hoping this is okay. If not, I have other Dreadnoughts, this one's just my favorite)

gallery_39401_2771_48878.jpg

The Knight (slightly updated from last time, used Daemonette claws to give him some horns. May require additional conversion work beyond the obvious candles and fleshybits - will do those as I paint him so they don't get in the way)

gallery_39401_2771_49316.jpg

The Plague Toads (from left to right: Smugtoad, Derptoad, and Happytoad)

gallery_39401_2771_126405.jpg

The Terminator Acolyte (aka the hapless victim I used for the fleshybit tutorial, now with even more GS)

gallery_39401_2771_46216.jpg

And the Sorcerer (because I didn't have a Sorcerer before aside from Leroy. What have I been DOING with my life?!)

gallery_39401_2771_163444.jpg

Right, well, that's a slightly more substantial post than I'm used to making. See you guys in another eternity. :wink:

Bloodthirster looks awesome buddy. Loving the claws on the Knights faceplate as well can't wait to see that get the full Raz treatment. The Dread, sorceror and acolyte are also gonna look great in your scheme. Interested to see what you do with the toads :)

Heheh, thanks guys. Good to see you too, Lexington. :tongue.:

@Biohazard, I'm gonna try to do something similar to my GUO with these toads. I'm saving them for last in the Call as a little reward for myself. I had a blast with the GUO - I think I knocked him out in like two or three days, the toads shouldn't take too long when I actually get around to them.

@Darth Bob, took you long enough to start posting on B&C. :smile.: I'm gonna go all out on the Knight. Not gonna cover it to the same extent as the Scripticator, but I want a lot of symbols and runes and stuff. I want to make it look a little heraldic, but I'm trying to figure out how I can strike a balance between that and my more barbaric take on the Word Bearers. Considering doing a few black surfaces with some yellow freehand like Forge World does, but we'll see.

In the interest of actually getting things done for this Call, I'm gonna try (TRY!) posting with a little progress every other day. First up, I need to get the Bloodthirster out of the way so I can devote myself fully to the Call, so I've highlighted the bronze. I've also layered up the leather, was admittedly pretty sloppy with it so it's gonna need a little selective washing to put it back in its place. Also probably gonna need another highlight, it's pretty dull at the moment, but at the same time I also don't want it to be too visually interesting - I definitely want the focus on the skin and the bronze.

gallery_39401_2771_136104.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_187948.jpg

Thanks everyone. Slave, I don't use plastic glue so I hadn't considered that. Would probably be good for people who do though.

Bloodthirster is more or less finished for now. I'm happy with where he is at the moment, and unless I notice anything that desperately needs touching up I'm probably done messing with it. I did resort to drybrushing the wings - I tried highlighting them by hand and got sick of it pretty quickly. Fortunately I think the results are fine, could maybe use some cleaning up here and there. Obviously the base isn't even started, I'm gonna need some Guard bits before I can do that but I'll see what I can dig out of my bitz box. Pics!

gallery_39401_2771_181709.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_160338.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_117673.jpg

So I'm setting him aside while I work on my Call vow. First up is the Dreadnought. I've cleaned up that sloppy basecoat a bit and given him a black wash, I'll do another wash of brown, highlight the red, wash brown again, and then highlight the metallics. I'll go on to details from there. For now, the black areas inside the little arches dried a bit oddly - lots of weird texture in there that I can't really explain, I think either the primer went on too thick or my basecoats did. It's not gonna matter, I have plans for the arches. I'll also get rid of that cat hair stuck on the skulls above the visor. :dry.:

gallery_39401_2771_90095.jpg

He turned out great, bud! I really think you hit the sweet spot with the blood effects. The teeth and the axe look especially great. Can't wait to see what you do with his base!

P.S. I'll scrounge around my bits to see if I can find any IG stuff. I think I may have some lying around.

• 2 weeks later...

So I lied about the Bloodthirster, I wasn't quite done with him after all. I really felt like I needed to bring the armor back up after I bloodified it. Some of the spatter really killed a lot of the contrast, so I've tried to fix it in a few places without getting rid of the spatter entirely. Got a pretty good idea what I wanna do for the base and it'll be the first thing I do after the Call.

gallery_39401_2771_97366.jpg

And in Call-related news, I washed the dread brown, highlighted the reds, then washed it brown again, and I've just now finished highlighting/chipping the metallics. Last layer of brown wash dried REALLY glossy - looked like he was soaking wet, but I used some brush-on matte varnish and he turned out okay (thanks, Bob).

gallery_39401_2771_47936.jpg

Archived