Raz's Word Bearers - Hell Follows With Them

RazakelXIII

Righto, mini-update - not much done over the past week. No real reason, I'm just lazy. ;) Anyway, I've gotten a little bit of work done on Raz's base, just put him on a lump of greenstuff and started piling up as many skulls as I could find, which of course wasn't enough, so I'll be ordering some more. :) Also, started up a little something new today - converting Sicarius to Chaos: because it's always good to have a little irony in your diet. :rolleyes:

There will be more GS work to cover up the U's and such, but this is just to give a basic idea.

gallery_39401_2771_177598.jpg

He'll be a Lord. Another one. =P Fluffwise, my army is the II Cohort of the XIII Warhost, with elements from the Anointed I Cohort, so he's going to be the Acolyte of said II Cohort.

EDIT: That was a bit confusing, so, without further ado, The Razterpretation of Word Bearer Terminology (mostly gathered from the Dark Apostle novel. I might be wrong about captains = Acolytes, but it's vaguely defined in the novel and I like it, so whatever, and if not, who's the Second Acolyte?). Basically, think of a Warhost as a chapter-size element, of which the Word Bearers have an indeterminate amount as far as I know. Each Warhost is led by a Dark Apostle, who has an apprentice, the First Acolyte. A Cohort is like a company, made of roughly 120 marines in 10 twelve-man squads (got the 12-man thing from Lexicanum), and is captained by an Acolyte. The I Cohort is made of Terminators and is called the Anointed. The Acolyte of the Anointed is NOT the First Acolyte; instead, he serves as Coryphaus, serving as an Apostle's war advisor, but he is not on the chain of succession for First Acolyte and so he can never become Dark Apostle.

With that out of the way, paintwork on the First Acolyte, a.k.a. Leroy, is progressing slowly, since I always seem to get sidetracked converting something. All I've really gotten done is the base red. You can see his wing on the right of that pic.

P.S. Happy early-in-case-I-don't-have-time-to-post-tomorrow Thanksgiving, B&C!

I never would've thought of converting Sicarius to Chaos, just shows how powerful the minor conversions are. I think he's looking pretty cool already, and once you remove those ultras from his armour he's going to look even better.

I really like your Dark Apostle, especially the fact you've biggerised him as it'll help to make him stand out even more.

This Word Bearer host will be strong indeed!

I may have misunderstood this, but wasn't Coryphaus the military leader, who controlled the hosts movement as the Dark Apostle stands seperatly from the host?

Seconded the head question. I'm intrigued :D.

Thanks, everyone. ;) ChaoSicarius' head is from the new FB Juggernaut Khorne Lord. Bummed it off a guy at my FLGS, since the thing comes with two head options - the other one's got a helmet with a big Khorne symbol on the top, and I wasn't too keen on using that for Word Bearers.

As for the Coryphaus, yeah, he's the military advisor/leader, but I was under the impression he was the captain/acolyte/whatever of the Anointed at the same time (I also thought he was still subservient to the Apostle to some extent). I'm planning on reading Apostle again some time before Disciple comes out - that'll hopefully clear things up a bit. :lol:

Also, I've stripped some old Doghous'd Chaos marines I'd done (a previous, failed attempt at a Word Bearers army). I'll be using them as bits donors for this army, so the size of the Host just doubled. :(

Awesome, it's surprising how much of an impact just the head swap has there, it's extremely effective. And all the cool marines use polearms! :P :P

Question: on the legs of your DA, what exactly is going on behind his right (our left) leg? It appears to be just a bunch of excess metal from an imprecise cast, but I'm hoping not. Any chance of an explanation/photo?

Behind his leg, he's got sorta this chainmail skirt-type thing. Here's some pics of the whole GD model. A bit sloppy on GW's part to sculpt it into the leg like that. :)

Currently working on the DA's cape... and it's actually not turning out too well; I think I might tear it off and start again, but I'm running a tad low on GS. :)

And sculpting work on Raz comes to a close...

gallery_39401_2771_23326.jpg

But the journey is far from over. ;) I think I might still hook some skulls and books and stuff onto his crozius with chains from the Flagellant sprue, and obviously he's still headless and the base is far from finished.

Been slowly working on my First Acolyte, Leroy Jenkins Naberus, mainly his face (haven't really done anything to his armor yet, just Scorched Brown-Scab Red-Red Gore right now, plus a bit of sloppy Boltgun, no washes at all). Made him look all nasty and beat up, because, well, that's generally what seems to happen to him. :P Makes me want to do a Nurgle army... Anyway, I'm basically ignoring the whole paleness issue, but I'm rather liking how it's going to look with all the dark armor - I'd just rather not have their faces stand out too much.

gallery_39401_2771_114094.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_18275.jpg

Obviously VERY WIP. His face looks a little bit glossy, I think the wash was still drying... I'm probably going to go back over some of the messier places with Elf or Dwarf Flesh and see if I can't fix it up a bit, 'cause I definitely went a bit overboard with the washes again... :P

Thanks, guys. Got a bit more work done on Leroy today; worked on his face a bit more, so he looks like a bit less of a burn victim now (though I can't say which looks better, given his battlefield role. The tradition carries on, btw; last game I played he deepstriked off the frakkin' table ;)). :P Also started on the fleshy bits on his wings and did some of the trim/chainmail, so it's coming along. :)

TAS: How's your project going? Haven't seen an update in a while. ;)

Sorry for the lack of updates over the past week - been struggling with his wings, which proved a royal pain in the rear to paint, but they're done.

gallery_39401_2771_49670.jpg

The pic kinda makes the blood look less stippled than it does IRL, but it's the best I could get (my camera hates the color red). I should mention that it seems the more paint I put on him, the better he performs. I actually played a game where he was the last thing on the table! ;) Also, work on ChaoSicarius continues:

gallery_39401_2771_84393.jpg

His lance broke off - I'll replace it with a halberd once I get another box of Knights, as I didn't like the lance anyway. :)

Ah, and my bitz order should be coming in tomorrow, which means Raz will be receiving his head very soon. :)

^Thanks, TAS. Nitty-gritty's what I'm going for, so it's good to hear it's working. :D Guess you really just can't rush art. :P

So, my bitz order showed up a few days ago. :o I give you... Razakel, the Unhallowed, Black Apostle of the Word Bearers XIII WarHost. All shall hear the Word of Lorgar, Praise be unto Him.

gallery_39401_2771_103744.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_26337.jpg

DEATH TO THE FALSE EMPEROR! FOR CHAOS!!!

I'd say he's done aside from his base. Probably won't get around to painting him for a looong time (too many troops to finish first), but there you have him. :)

Wow, I love the Dark Apostle! Adequate grandeur for such a Champion of Chaos! I'm thinking of making one after I've done my Dark Wolves/Reavers, with a squad of Word Bearers, and I shall pilfer some of your ideas!

You HAVE to use the Chaos Icon from the Chaos Marauder Horsemen at some point, it would make an ideal dark Crosius!

Wow, thanks everybody! :) I'll get some work done on Leroy tomorrow. I might start painting Raz when I'm done with him... maybe. :P All the skulls shipped, btw.

Capt. Jack - Yeah, the Marauder Horsemen icon is pretty awesome. I've got one sitting around... I dunno, I think it's a bit too big to use as a Crozius, but I'll probably use it as an Icon of Glory in one of my squads at some point. Ah, and pilfer away. :o

Kik - I'll put one up tomorrow along with an updated Leroy. ;)

Well, I did a looot of work on Leroy today; got the metals and reds done and washed. Unfortunately, I actually went a bit too dark with the red in a few places and I'm gonna have to go back and brighten him up. However, I promised a size comparison and you shall have a size comparison.

Gonna link to my Picasa gallery instead of my B&C one, since uploading to multiple places is starting to tick me off and my B&C gallery's getting a little crowded.

EDIT: Nevermind. :(

gallery_39401_2771_9177.jpg

So, compared to either of the other marines, he's about the size of a Primarch. :P However, I'd say he's just truescaled, which my Word Bearers really aren't - they're just "biggerized." I'd be doing this if I had the resources to fork out 50 bucks whenever I wanted to do 5 marines - not to mention the time involved. ;)

Archived