Raz's Word Bearers - Hell Follows With Them

RazakelXIII

The only thing that throws me on the model is the wooden part of the mace, it seems out of place.  How hard was it to get the fade from warpfire to smoke?  It looks very impressive.

Really dig the Sentinel pilot, adds a lot of character to the piece.

• 3 weeks later...

Still alive. Thanks for the comments, guys.

@ChromeZephyr: When I decided to go for the wrecking ball from the Plague Furnace, I debated whether or not to replace the wooden bit. I decided against it BECAUSE it looks weird and out of place. After going with the same army for so long you start looking for ways to make things more entertaining, and I like channeling the weird pseudo-medieval side of 40k. My headcanon explanation for it is that it was some quick, scrappy field modification after another arm got blown off, they used wood because the Gods demanded it (or so the Apostle said, but that guy always did seem a little off), and then it worked out fine so they never bothered to fix it. As for the smoke, it's really just a few layers blended together with Waywatcher Green, plus some drybrushing and sepia wash towards the front to make the smoke look nasty. I surprised myself with how quickly I got the whole smoke trail done, I was working on it while shooting the breeze at the FLGS and it was done in a few hours (I expected it to take days of constantly fiddling with it). The hard part was the coals inside the wrecking ball itself - I tried a whole bunch of different approaches before finally painting the whole wrecking ball white, washing the crap out of it with what little Thraka Green I had left from ye olden times, highlighting the coals white and then hitting it with a green glaze followed (rather spontaneously) by a yellow glaze for a sickly, acid-green look.

@LordVelype: If you liked that, you're gonna love this:

gallery_39401_2771_77187.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_77145.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_41620.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_151110.jpg

Thought for the day: you can't spell "slaughter" without "laughter."

With my Ultraforge Plague Demon:

gallery_39401_2771_31830.jpg

I think they're both a pretty good size match - there's a part of me that wants GUOs to be giant mountains of rot, but I also think Bloodthirsters should be the most intimidating GDs in terms of stature.

Anyway, good to finally have Thirsty's base out of the way. I just looked back through my thread and realized I finished the actual Bloodthirster itself in OCTOBER OF LAST YEAR. That's ten months ago. Watching this thread must be agonizing, sometimes I feel like Goku charging a Spirit Bomb. I need to paint more. On that note, my next project is either that Terminator Sorcerer I've been showing off for probably two or three years now, the Plague Toads I was supposed to paint for last year's Call (sigh), or (re)painting my Cultists. Or, because I'm not indecisive enough, I might do a Contemptor. Or a Decimator. Feth.

• 2 weeks later...

@ChromeZephyr: When I decided to go for the wrecking ball from the Plague Furnace, I debated whether or not to replace the wooden bit. I decided against it BECAUSE it looks weird and out of place. After going with the same army for so long you start looking for ways to make things more entertaining, and I like channeling the weird pseudo-medieval side of 40k. My headcanon explanation for it is that it was some quick, scrappy field modification after another arm got blown off, they used wood because the Gods demanded it (or so the Apostle said, but that guy always did seem a little off), and then it worked out fine so they never bothered to fix it. As for the smoke, it's really just a few layers blended together with Waywatcher Green, plus some drybrushing and sepia wash towards the front to make the smoke look nasty. I surprised myself with how quickly I got the whole smoke trail done, I was working on it while shooting the breeze at the FLGS and it was done in a few hours (I expected it to take days of constantly fiddling with it). The hard part was the coals inside the wrecking ball itself - I tried a whole bunch of different approaches before finally painting the whole wrecking ball white, washing the crap out of it with what little Thraka Green I had left from ye olden times, highlighting the coals white and then hitting it with a green glaze followed (rather spontaneously) by a yellow glaze for a sickly, acid-green look.

Can't fault your logic, it's not generally considered a "good career move" to tell the Bearer of the Primordial Truth of your Warhost that his idea isn't that good an idea.  :D

Still alive. Thanks for the comments, guys.

@LordVelype: If you liked that, you're gonna love this:

gallery_39401_2771_77187.jpg

NOOOO!!! Stop that, these guys have families, not like those zero-regret, vicious Astartes! :sad.:

Nice orange by the way, works great with the gold, really appreciate the color choice. :) :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

So I forgot how much I fething love Nurgle.

gallery_39401_2771_135019.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_55135.jpg

I'm going to apply a whole slew of Tamiya Clear colors to them, then highlight all the purples (I haven't yet because those areas are going to get messy in the Tamiya phase), then paint the bases. Should be done tomorrow, possibly later tonight.

In other news, I've finalized the base on the Terminator Sorcerer. The flame slug was long ago put out to pasture. I've resculpted a much smaller, less ridiculous wave of warpstuff and after much messing around with it, I finally decided to go with something similar to the flames on my Defilers - and by that I mean I shoved a bunch of Daemon bitz into it.

gallery_39401_2771_826.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_12129.jpg

gallery_39401_2771_146937.jpg

I wasn't sure about the Bloodletter's hell blade but I think it provides a nice visual counterweight to the Sorcerer's daemon spear. I may add another claw to the Daemonette, otherwise he's finally ready for paint after... I don't even know how long.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry for the long silence, guys. Seeing as how it's this thread's (and my army's) 10th anniversary, and how I haven't posted in over two years, I figure I owe you guys an update. Unfortunately it's gonna be a bit on the grim side. The last couple years have been really rough on me personally for reasons I won't go into. For reasons I absolutely WILL go into, I've also been, shall we say, "disgruntled" at the state of 40k since 8th edition hit. I realize they've done a lot to bring in new players, but many of the changes (or in some cases, the absence of changes) have done a lot to alienate me. Gripes in the spoiler if anyone wants reasons for my absence - please don't clog up the thread with any more negativity than I'm about to pour into it, but feel free to shoot me a PM if you feel like debating or commiserating.

Even before 8e, we got Traitor Legions just to have it erased a few months later by the new edition. There seems to be a new focus on monopose, monobuild models being released (meaning people who want large armies either have to deal with copy/paste models or do lots of heavy conversion work), there's WAY too much emphasis on "boxed games" whereas I think all that effort should be spent on updating old factions and replacing Finecast with plastic, the codex system (and thus the inevitability of power creep) is still around, the rules are still just as unbalanced as they used to be, the new copyrightable faction names make me want to claw my eyes out every single time I see them, and I'll spare you a 200-page essay on how terrible I think all the new fluff is but suffice to say I think they've broken every single rule of the setting and completely destroyed what made 40k special to me. :furious: At this point I've got less hope for the future of 40k than I did in the late Kirby days - and that's saying quite a bit considering it was likely to get End Times'd. Combine all that with the increasingly-obvious age and obsolescence of the basic Chaos Space Marine kit, plus my unwillingness to Doghouse-ify another 100+ dudes, and you've got a recipe for a total lack of motivation to be involved with 40k at all, much less keep working on my Word Bearers. It also doesn't help that I've recently found that a certain other plastic model hobby involving giant robots (Sieg Zeon!) blows GW out of the water as far as my enjoyment-per-dollar is concerned.

tl;dr I'm grumpy.

But It's not all doom and gloom. I'm hoping that the impending release of Blackstone Fortress will be a light at the end of this very long and very dark tunnel and the basic CSM kit will soon receive a much-needed update. Even if everything about the revamp'd CSM box isn't exactly to my liking, I have some ideas for potential conversion parts - for instance, I've been looking at using Thousand Sons legs as a replacement for the Doghouse conversion ever since the plastic Rubrics dropped.

As for what I've actually been doing all this time, I've still got plenty of half-finished conversions on the table, I've re-primed and re-basecoated the majority of my cultist mob so they can get repainted, and I've been slowly (and I mean VERY slowly) been working on this Great Blue Purple Chicken (still in heavy WIP):

gallery_39401_2771_536070.jpg

Please excuse the state of the lightbox, I've got a black cat who likes to crawl around in there and shed. Got some ideas for the Chicken's base involving Guardsmen and some Chaos Spawn bitz but I need to get around to ordering said Spawn bitz before I can make that happen. I've got the new plastic GUO too - love the kit but I can't start him until I finish the chicken (I mean I totally could but Tzeentch would be displeased) and I never feel like working on the chicken.

Unfortunately I just can't say for sure if I'll be motivated to get anything done any time soon. Hopefully posting here again will be the kick in the pants I've needed. I still love 40k, or at least I love what I think it used to be, and it's been a huge part of my life for so long that I can't imagine I'll ever abandon it entirely, but the future of this army at least is probably dependent of whether or not Blackstone Fortress does what I hope it will do in a way that I like. If it does, I'll be back in action sooner than later, but if it doesn't, well, I gotta get my plastic crack fix somehow, and the Sisters are coming.

Raz, it's good to see you posting back in here - I share a lot of your issues with 40k; I only recently returned to the hobby after 4 1/2 years away. The state of the game had driven me away, and I felt very burnt out with painting.

Kill Team drew me back - the scope for focusing on a few minis, smaller games (no pressure to keep up with Codex-creep or flavour-of-the-month armies), appealled. As I'd spent so long developing a whole background setting (Sector) for my Chaos Marines, I can take or leave the new background developments in 40k. Have you thought of making a Kill Team yourself? A handful of Chaos Marines and Cultists would still be a good avenue to your converting & painting tastes/skills.

But like you, I can't see myself returning to 40k proper as a game unless Chaos Marines get a really significant update - models and rules.

Anyway, good to see you're still painting - the 'Chicken' looks great so far, and looking forward to seeing your GUO :) :tu:

Archived