Horus heresy, how long was it

Ruck

Depends on your point of view. For most Chaos players, well original Legion players anyway not those newfangled 'Renegade' people, the Heresy never ended. The Long War rages to this day and will end with either the death of every Legionairy or the destruction of the False Emperor, may Nurgle rot his eyes. Loyalists (misguided scum! worthless sycopants!) will tell you the Heresy ended at Terra with the death of Warmaster Horus.

If you let the Heresy start at Istvaan V and end at the Siege of Terra, it probably took some 2 to 4 years. Terran years that is, not withstanding any time spent in Warp travel.

Realms of Chaos: The Lost And The Damned stated that the Death Guards ill-fated long distance warp jump to Terra took place in the 3rd year of the Horus Heresy, so I've always put the Heresy proper as about 4 years (since the DG were trapped in the warp for months, and still arrived in time for the Siege of Terra).

I tended to count it beginning at Horus's fall and his turning of the primarchs.

I just never got a good grip on how long things too. It seems like from Istvaan V to Terra, all of a sudden there are lots of cultists calling daemons down, Daemon Primarchs (Angron) and I think even possessed space marines. So having an idea of the length of time this all occurred is rather helpful.

Would it be safe to assume that the Horus Heresy books will cover what exactly happened between the Dropsite Massacre and the Siege? I mean that is about what did we decide? a 3 year gap or so? I mean we could look at it as

Year 0= Horus turns

Year 0.5= Istvaan III and the flight of the Eisenstein

Year 1= Dropsite Massacre

Year 4= Siege of Terra?

I am sure I am missing something in there.

Prior to the HH novels Horus Heresy lasted 7 years from 007.M31 to 014.M31 in the reworked background it lasts from 012M.31 to 014.M31 which I believe it is a shame.

A lot of fan-made timelines list the Heresy as having started in 007, but I've never seen it backed up with a canon source, as far as I know it was a result of people getting the 7 years mixed up (the "Great Scouring" is usually dated as being the period between the Siege of Terra and the 2nd Founding, which took place in 021.m31)

Prior to the HH novels Horus Heresy lasted 7 years from 007.M31 to 014.M31 in the reworked background it lasts from 012M.31 to 014.M31 which I believe it is a shame.

A lot of fan-made timelines list the Heresy as having started in 007, but I've never seen it backed up with a canon source, as far as I know it was a result of people getting the 7 years mixed up (the "Great Scouring" is usually dated as being the period between the Siege of Terra and the 2nd Founding, which took place in 021.m31)

Final Liberation Manual timeline.

Archived