Angelus' Work Bench Blog

Although I keep a lot of my progress blogging done off-site, I thought given the nature of the board I would try something different and attempt to "maintain" a progress blog here. Granted I'm not a fast painter/modeller/etc, but hey, when it comes to all things Marine, why not post them here!!

In theory, the blog will just be an amalgamation of all works Marine, so chances are there will be frog leaps between Loyalist and Traitor.

However to start the blog off (and i thank both kikkala and RazakelXIII for this) I thought I would post up the progress of my Word Bearers.

Most of this post will be a tad bit wordy (ok, bad pun) but I haven't really photographed alot of my progress, since most of my work thus far has involved being hunched over a table with hobby knife in hand. However, there will be some pics! Not fantastic one, but one must start somewhere...

Progress wise:

- My 'Dark Apostle' is still very much in pieces, since I'm still trying to figure out what pieces i intend to use, not to mention how they'll all come together. Initial plan was to use Chaos Warrior parts, but that felt somewhat messy, so i've leaned towards the Possessed parts. I'd still like to use the Chaos Warrior parts, but we'll see. Alot of work will be required, and by the end of it, there may be a small total of warrior parts used, but i'll keep thinking it over.

- A second marine has been made and to be different i actually gave it a 'wrist mounted' bolter. I personally think it looks great as impractical as it may sound. I'll try to get a picture of that soon.

- Current mini has been graced with a loin cloth, some seals and (sadly) a horrible attempt at recreating my '06 work on the WB Legion symbol and flame motiff. How it got worse over two years i don't know, but i'm not happy with it. I have taken a picture of it, but by the end of the weekend, that pad will be back to looking pure red again and i'll have to hit the scrap minis to work on the motiff again. On the upside, two years later, it's nice to see the WB crew is being finally realised.

Anyway, picture time!

The test mini from '06. Mind you, when i say test, i do mean test, so the paint job is quite sloppy, but it was to give me a feel for the scheme and technique required.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Angelus01/Word%20Bearers/WordBearer.jpg

Current look of the first WB '08 mini

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Angelus01/Word%20Bearers/WBTest-Front.jpg

And lastly the horrid shoulder pad

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Angelus01/Word%20Bearers/WBTest-ShoulderPad.jpg

Updates "soon".

Hrm. Well, I think the main problem with the shoulder pad's just that the skull's too big. Just making the eyes and nose areas smaller would probably make it look better, though I guess it's still oddly elongated. The fire effect still looks okay (not sure about the bottom half of it - looks unfinished?), it's just that the skull's in the way... =P And the red looks very... well, red. Nice and vibrant. I'd hit it with some Devlan Mud to darken it, but it's actually pretty nice the way it is. I'm liking his robe, btw. A bit bumpy, but it'll look nice painted and highlighted and such.

Yeah, the whole pad will get redone because i'm far from happy with it. Even before i tried the legion symbol, i wasn't too thrilled with the fire motiff either.

Still trying to get the perfect feel on the red, although i noticed with some other pictures i took that the flash has brightened up alot of areas, so the red on the bad doesn't look that bright. Plus the arm has only been coated in terracotta, so that's still a few shades away from being done as well.

I'm also finding it quite amusing that despite a 3 day weekend, i actually don't have alot of time to paint (it's been a busy 3 day weekend) which is actually quite annoying!

Finally you started to walk in path Lorgar :D!

The flame motiff on '08 mini looks bit rushed with color transition, while you have taken your time painting the motiff back in '06. I don't know where I found this technique, but you could basecoat the flame with white, and add layer watered down yellow on top, and while the yellow is still wet, paint red areas lightly with red ink. I used this one when my legion symbol was the skull with flames.

As RazakelXIII said, if you want to darken the red you can use Devlan Mud or Badab Black, but if you like it that way, you can remove the gloss with Baal Red (if you used ink that is :D).

Keep up the good work! I'm waiting for your next update ;).

Yeah, i actually found the article from decades ago (which oddly enough would be around the same time i did my '06 mini) when Matt Hudson was doing a WB army (or at least painting one) in WD. From that i re-learned the most likely technique i used then, so i hope to try and re-mimic that, now that i have a good idea of WHAT i did back then.

The red itself doesn't look as bright as the picture shows (i blame the flash, and i did take some pics of other stuff and the flash did cause a sharp rise in the "lightness" of particular colors and areas). However, i do like the tip about removing the gloss effect that the ink unfortunately created.

I'll see how much brush work i can accomplish today. ;)

Rather odd to be creating extra posts in my own topic, however i have an update!!

The pad has been re-done and thus spawning the Mk 2 version of the pad. I can safely say it looks significantly better than the first, although i still feel i need to work on it for later models.

I also decided to have a non-flash pic to just show that the red isn't that light!! The rest of the red on the arm has been done, the only thing left is a wash of Badaab black or maybe some form of brown or so to knock out the gloss effect.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Angelus01/Word%20Bearers/ShoulderPadMk2.jpg

The more i think about it, the more i think i may have actually used inks after laying down the initial white base and played with those to get the right effect. So the next one i play with, i'll go a pure ink concept and see if i can achieve the effect better.

The other thing i want to work on is just keeping the WB icon more tidy and with smaller eyes. I know it's stylised, but i would like to see it a tad bit more tidier.

Since i haven't actually taken any "decent" pics of actual models, i thought i'd whack some up.

We are getting some what familiar with the following (especially his horrible shoulder pad!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Angelus01/Word%20Bearers/WB-Nov20.jpg

The next one is a play on the ruling (in this day and age). Although it isn't to be mistaken for true-grit (assuming it still exists) i just wanted to keep to the WYSIWYG concept while at the same time having a small play around.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Angelus01/Word%20Bearers/WristMountedBolter.jpg

Now i wonder how much of the main body i can get done before the end of the week on the first guy!

I do believe you've just struck WYSIWIG-gold. :) That's awesome. The other one's looking good as well.

As for the icon, I suggest maybe doing the skull thing first, and then painting the white around it, and then putting inks on it (unless you already do this of course... when I tried the fire effect my first instinct was to do the fire first and then paint the skull over it, and it didn't turn out so good. =P). That way you can clean up the skull more easily by simply painting white over messy spots, and you don't have to worry about getting Chaos Black all over your carefully inked fire. Also, just a thought, instead of going for big O eyes, try for slits or something. If you look at a skull they're not really that round. Actually, they're more ovals, but this is Warhammer, so style is key. :tu: I generally go for a <) sort of thing.

I feel bad now that i've done that marine because the concept of combi-weapons is having a field day in my head now <_<

Actually i was looking at my technique and i already noticed that assuming half the stuff i looked is correct, i've painted the fire in the incorrect way :lol:. Ideally the center should be the lightest whilst the rims are the darkest. Plus i realised the eyes also shouldn't be white either :P.

I think i did try the slit pattern for the eyes, alas, hand slipped and well, yeah, you can probably guess what happened after that!

However i might try your idea on the fire/skull. Sounds plausible, and you might be right about it being easier. Although knowing my luck with white paint... I guess we'll just have to see really :lol:

No pics this time around, but i'll try and get one in the next few days.

WB progress is going good, more red paint is getting splashed onto the first test mini. I'm also thinking i should try and start slapping some paint onto the next mini (after some minor GS work).

I'd also like to *coughblamecough* Kikkala for starting me on the road of....... Iron Hands!!! Seriously, i swear he's Dark Apostle totally decked out in bionics!! His oratory is strong indeed!

Pretty much spent the whole part of the late evening tinkering around on the test IH mini. So far, so good! Even made an attempt to do some bionic sections which has gone ok, although i'm not too thrilled with the arm one (although i do have a nice surprise about that :huh:).

I'll try to get a pic of the IH mini soon, fortunately enough only minor GS Work is needed to touch up some of the bionic sections (which will work great as i can do the WB parchment bits as well at the same time).

I'd also like to *coughblamecough* Kikkala for starting me on the road of....... Iron Hands!!! Seriously, i swear he's Dark Apostle totally decked out in bionics!! His oratory is strong indeed!

Oh my god! That totally made my day!! ;)

You and I have same problem, when I see something new and cool, I want to do it too ;). I'll post some pics what I did couple months ago ;).

The 2nd WB looks little bit unbalanced now, you could have the bolter in one arm and bolt pistol incorporated to chainsword in other hand. Note that I haven't tried this myself so I don't know that does it work :P.

Now, lob some IH updates!

Whatever you do, don't start Ravenguard :D

Failing that, if I started Ravenguard... heh.... :wub:

I like the idea about the switching of the weapon positions, however the reason why i didn't go the Bolt Pistol and Chainsword on the one arm was to factor in some form of 'realistic battle posturing and stuff (yeah, i know that stuff doesn't sound fancy, but it's all i can think of at this point in time!!). Given that i would imagine for maximum effect, one would have the pistol in one hand and the HtH weapon in the other, having both on the same side, although WOULD look good, i'd imagine wouldn't allow the same flexibility in combat as the one in each hand option. I may yet try one like that, but that was the main reasoning why i didn't do it that way and went towards the way i've modelled it now. However since i do want to do some GS work on that mini, i'll try and balance out the general 'distribution' of the mini to balance out again and do more 'heavy' parchment on the other side.

And don't worry about the IH updates. They'll be here soon ;)

Quick progress report:

The GS work that i wanted to do on the IH Test mini and the second Word Bearer have been done and i've now undercoated the main body sections (the pictures were taken prior to the under coating).

Not too thrilled with the picture quality actually, so next time i'll have to do my typical up-close style to get some decent quality images.

Other than that, i shall leave you a quick glimpse of what is now on my desk! (amongst other things)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Angelus01/Word%20Bearers/Nov16-WB2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Angelus01/Iron%20Hands/Nov16-IHTest.jpg

Looking good there buddy!

You could give more raggery look on WB parchements, by cutting ends of the parchements "triangularry" after GS has tried.

Is that a bolt pistol on IHs left arm? WYSIWYG might be your thing ;).

Yeah, i'll be sure to make them more tattery the next set i do (after all each marine is a test progression ;)), eventually i'll model the perfect word bearer :P

Although the pic of the IH does NOT do it justice, you may notice that i've tried to do the BP augmentation striaght with the Bionics (as if the two were done at the same time). Sure i may be taking WYSIWYG a bit far, but hey, i'm enjoying it, it makes the model look different and at least no one can contest the rules with me now ;)

Next update i'll try to make sure i have better pictures and some decent progress!

• 1 month later...

Thought i would dust off the thread a bit, especially since i've gone off and done this:

I, The Angelus Sanctus, vow on the dishonor of my Legion to paint and present at least a single Word Bearers Dark Apostle on or before the 28th of February, 2009. I promise to provide at least two WIP updates, preferably with pictures, in that time. I vow that if I should fail, I will provide the Librarium with an article and wear the Signature of Shame until my penitence period is done.

So i guess this is where the games begin!!

• 2 weeks later...

Now that i've finally had a chance to take some pics, here are the (slow) WIP shots of the Dark Apostle:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Angelus01/Word%20Bearers/WIP-DarkApostle-Side.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v299/Angelus01/Word%20Bearers/WIP-DarkApostle-Front.jpg

Just mainly needs GS work (primarily in the way of a cape) and probably some impurity seals here and there, but otherwise, he's making ok progress. Not too flash sadly, so Raz and Kik still have the superior DA models!

That's one big apostle :D. You and Raz both have such big DA, and my DA is so small in size (inferiority complex strikes!) ;).

There's some parts I don't recognize, are they from new FB chaos models?

Lookin scary there Angelus!! cool pose and bitz selection :P altho the left foot looks a little 'delicate' if you know what i mean.. you might want to chock that foot up when you glue him into place :P

Good luck with the LPC, i'm struggling <_< keep getting distracted by shiny things..

Archived