Question about the Emperor

Ensis Ferrae

i was thinking the other day on how according to fluff, the emperor is taller than his sons, the primarchs... here's what we know about the size differences of normal men/space marines.... a normal man comes up to the chest of a marine, while a marine comes up to the chest of a primarch, and supposedly, primarchs come up to the chest of the emperor... which by that thinking the Emperor is twice the size of a normal man. we also "know" from fluff that he was born in some 4000 BC or some such ridiculous date in ancient history...

Now, my question is.... how does a guy with THAT kind of height blend in with the populace?? especially with how long hes been around, now i know he wasnt always out in public and whatnot... but still... itd be kinda hard to hide out when youre not changing the course of history.

Maybe he hid in a medieval travelling freak show. ;)

I wouldn't assume he'd stay in one place, eventually some old guy would realise The Emperor had been around since he was a kid. I doubt he lived in cities either, that area of the world has seen a lot of its cities razed before now. Plus he'd become known to people in said city.

I would say...I mean, you always get a RARE tall guy, and I'm sure he was a traveler, or a hidden watcher of time, so it is unlikely he will be seen much. I mean, as other has said, he is the greatest psyker, hes like Alpha+++, so he can make himself appear normal sized.

Unexpectedly, a stranger arrived in the middle of the festivities. Of pale complexion and wearing outlandish clothing, the stranger asked only to be allowed to compete

At this moment, the Outlander cast off his illusionary disguise and revealed himself to be the Holy Emperor of humanity. Thus it was that the Primarch, Vulkan and his Emperor were reunited.

The two quotes above from the story of how Vulkan and the Emperor met show that the Emperor can indeed disquise himself from others.

Notice in the first quote that they remark on the stranger's pale skin and outlandish (foreign) clothing, but do not mention great stature or radiant glow; both traits commonly attributed to the Emperor. In the second quote, he explicitly casts off an illusionary disguise, reveling his glorious form to all.

So, he could have used his psychic powers to hide during his long life on Earth. But more importantly, it raises the question of if the radiance and immense size normally associated with the Emperor's "true" form are real either. After all, if he can hide a 12' golden giant under the illusion of a normal man, he could hide a 6' turkish dude of average appearance behind the illusion of a 12' golden giant.

Basically, since we know he can fool people into seeing something other than himself, how can we ever really know what he looks like to begin with?

So, he could have used his psychic powers to hide during his long life on Earth. But more importantly, it raises the question of if the radiance and immense size normally associated with the Emperor's "true" form are real either. After all, if he can hide a 12' golden giant under the illusion of a normal man, he could hide a 6' turkish dude of average appearance behind the illusion of a 12' golden giant.

Basically, since we know he can fool people into seeing something other than himself, how can we ever really know what he looks like to begin with?

Yeah so maybe he wasn't that tall after all.Maybe he wants us to see him tall but he just only 3 foot tall dwarf. :lol:

In Legion doesn't Grammaticus hint that the Emperor isn't all that he appears physically? Basically the 12 foot super dude is a projection and no-one knows what he is really like (except presumably Grammaticus as he saw through it for a moment).

In the Dark Angels Horus Heresy Book the Emperor comes to the main character and but is unable to be seen due to a bright light.

Also we know psykers can hide their own/others appaearences. Again with Dark Angels in the original story of Two Heads Talking, the Dark Angels Terminator is disguised as a native. Despite being in full Terminator Armour. This was said to take a large amout of Psykers to do so for the Emperor to do it and to such good effect means he was/is the powerful psyker he is meant to be.

I've often wondered about this as well but only because of the artwork in the collected visions book. Up untill that point I'd assumed that he was the size of a normal human.

If he was absolutely massive in height then he would have probably hidden this fact by using his powers. I still prefer to think of him as the size of a regular human though.

I think you guys are over-reading this whole emperor situation, i mean sure he could be 6 foot tall, but from what i can remember isnt he supposed to be the most able bodied fighter in the whole imperium, stronger and faster than a space marine or primarch for that matter.

Surely his ability to hide his true apperance has no bearing on his martial skills, so i would suggest he is truely more like the giant we know him as.

Also worth noting there could be any number of reasons for him to hide his true appearance. Maybe hes ugly or has a hair lip or has a hump on his back, who knows......Maybe hes a xenos!!!

Greatcrusade08 has just been arrested by the inquisition, his execution is set for next week

Thats exactly what i think. The only clues that he is anything other than the 12' golden giant who speaks with an echo are in Legion, with the aforementioned comments by grammaticus, and the rumours that in the final book when Horus is handing the big E his arse during the final battle, he sees the Emperor in his true form as a small and (incredibly) wizened old man.

As has been said, it does make sense that he would be able to hide his true image - he really is the most powerful of psykers by a considerable margin.

Then again, you have to realise, with the reality warping level of power at the Emperor's disposal, there's nothing to say that he couldn't make himself physically look that way. His psycic power was the thing that kept him youthful, when Horus made him expend that power in one go, he'd lose it. Let say that the emperor readjusted his genetic code, because he's that <Deleted by the =][=>ed powerful. He made himself the very height of smexiness through sheer pyscic will, he altered his genetic code to make him taller, stronger and more powerful, to make himself functionally immortal. Then Horus drained him of his ability to do that.

So, after 34000 years of straining, pushing, and exerting his will to make his genetic structure just so, he let go, and nature took its revenge. His genes, having been forced to make him super-humanly good looking, strong, fast and generally amazing for three hundred and forty centuries, twanged back into their normal state with all the force of a supernova.

He literally became a 34,000 year old man, devoid of psycic might and everything that had made him who he was.

dustermaker Posted Today, 09:38 AM

He is Bigfoot, this explains how we have such a hard time spotting him and his feet are huge so its gotta be some giant emperor running around the forests of the pacific nortwest!

That would be really funny, if the Emperor was actually living among us and was the reason behind all the Bigfoot/Yeti/Alien sightings. <_<

Read the new Mechanicus book. The point of view of the person describing the Emperor he is described as handsome and strong, tall and able to heal machines!!!!!!!!

Ive only just started it but from what i can read he never hid his form(well not as obviously as in descent of angels where he is unable to be seen properly due to bright light) and they could see his face and features.

Now there is a piece of fanart that I have (from some GW books, it's on my pc as a .bmp at the momnt) whith Horus and The Emperor in the final battle. (Horus standing over Sanguinius' body) and The Emperor only comes up to Horus' chest. So maybe he is about the size of a Space Marine. I'll see if I can find the Artists's name. I pretty sure the painting is in the HH art books somewhere though.

Now there is a piece of fanart that I have (from some GW books, it's on my pc as a .bmp at the momnt) whith Horus and The Emperor in the final battle. (Horus standing over Sanguinius' body) and The Emperor only comes up to Horus' chest. So maybe he is about the size of a Space Marine. I'll see if I can find the Artists's name. I pretty sure the painting is in the HH art books somewhere though.

Thats a perspective trick, the Emperor is walking up stairs so he looks shorter. :P

The Emperor can take any visual form he requires as far as we know. Be it a blinding ball of light to a simple beggar. :wallbash:

BCC

The Emperor is head and shoulders taller than one of the Adeptus Custodes (who are supposed to be massive) and a Sister Of Silence comes up to the bottom edge of his rib cage. There's a picture of him standing behind them and they're all standing straight.

Archived