Inquisitorial Factions: Now with an Inquisitorial Census

Grand Master Tyrak

Recongregationist, with a dash of Xanthatism.

The Imperium is failing, slowly but surely. Whatever the Emperors plans were, the Imperium has strayed. Corruption runs rife, the institutions build to protect and maintain the Imperium are not working. Manipulation from the background to ensure the best people replace the corrupt and weak in power, through whatever means neccesary. Enlightenment of the feeble and narrow-minded, that is the mission. The power of Chaos needs to be understood to be destroyed, or perhaps even harnessed.

Catch me if you can!

Isstvanian - My Sisters (The Caudatas Sororitas) and their Battle Brothers (The Caudatas Fratenes) are constantly out picking fights in an attempt to incite the Main body of the Orders Militant and the Astartes to back their plays or wage war in their causes. In fact, so dedicated to the cause they are, they almost advent the cause to be a Crusade of sorts.

I think I'd have to fall into the monodominant faction because, to a great extent, that's the way I play.

Too often I forget the objective of the game and keep fighting to destroy the enemy rather than playing a thinking man's game. I can only put this down to the fervour of wiping the enemies of the imperium from the face of the universe, and that of course includes the downright tainted beings that call themselves space marines!

I like the Merusians. At least in the sense that its very good work and fits right in with the 40k universe. In the sense of Inquisitorial philosophy I'd rather purge every Merusian I come across. :jaw:

I agree.. it's very good work and artwork! May their heretical souls however, burn in the fire of the Emperor's wrath ;)

Haha, why thank you... :devil:

In the games of Inquisitor I've played, my characters have been Amalathian and Monodominant. My DIY Chapter falls along Monodominant lines, too - but I thought it would be fun to create something a little more radical. :devil: (And something away from the endless battlefields of the 41st millennium, too.)

The young and idealistic Inquisitor Ganth accompanying the Black Templar 14th redemptionist crusade is a staunch monodominant, with a firebrand personality and tolerance of heretics well suited to the philosophies of the Astartes that accompany him.

Marshall Ignathus Furor has welcomed the troop ship Temeritas Irae to the battle fleet. The ship is full of Imperial missionaries that Ganth has requisitioned from the Red Redemption to Identify and bring to justice those who have strayed from the Emperor's Light as the fleet brings planet after planet back into compliance near the Maelstrom

Ganth has been so inspired by the Templar Creed that he has requisitioned a masterfully wrought Eviscerator from Mars, blessed with incense from Holy Terra itself and presented it to the Astartes after the success of the initial campaign. The weapon is currently being wielded by Parzival, unrelenting Champion of the Emperor.

Ganth is compiling a treatise on monodominant aspects of the Black Templar Doctrine, and hopes to use his knowledge to further strengthen the morale of other imperial institutions.

Those within the Ordo with a mind for such things (and there were many) would concider O'Dorihan to be a Monodominant and a rabid Puritan. Indeed, his Purges and Trials over the last two and a quater centuries had drawn as much criticism as praise from brother Inquisitors.He concidered himself merely to be a true servant of The Throne and the Creed.

Burn the Heretic.

Abhor the Traitor.

Destroy the Alien.

That was the mantra that should unite the Most Holy Ordos of The Emperor's Inquisition, not petty political blocs.

Senseilord Ashahara Posted Today, 07:07 PM

Burn the Heretic.

Abhor the Traitor.

Destroy the Alien.

That was the mantra that should unite the Most Holy Ordos of The Emperor's Inquisition, not petty political blocs.

I disagree (in a petty political sort of way). Burn the lot of them! :lol:

Boreas: Inquisitor-Lord Ekatarina Yazov: Ordo Hereticus

Amalathian and Monodominant. First, The Emperor knew all and knows all. And he knows, and has always known, is that there can be only man. Mankind's obvious destiny is to rule the whole galaxy. Hopefully, by razing all on it's path, it can then rebuild a garden of Eden. All of the Galaxy will then thrive with the Human reaching their full potential. Chaos will wither away as they are pushed back to a far and obscure part of the warp by the Emperor's soul and the Army of Righteous Souls. He died knowing he could lead that battle while the Ecclesiarchy and the Inquisition tended his Heritage.

As you can see, my Inquisitors are pretty much Imperial Nazis. I also tend to play for the destruction, sometimes forgetting to hold an important objective. Actually, if I could spend an extra turn or two shooting at the opposing models' bodies even as they're put back in the case, I'd do so! When playing computer or boardgames, I'm also the "steady buildup until you crush the opposition" type of guy. No "sneaking bonuses" for me!

Phil

Well, my inquisitor is considered slightly 'radical' because he doesn't see the blood angels or space wolves gene flaws as deviant. He actually loves them, they are made so much stronger in their faith and devotion to prove their worth, and because there is nothing better than a blood crazed berserker to smash the enemy of the emperium.

Monodominant. And far more than happy to smash an entire system than let it fall away from the cold dead embrace of the emperor.

Very interesting thread here.... I guess I haven't been exposed too much to this part of the fluff. Although being primarily a pure sisters force player I haven't pondered much of the back story for my occasionally used Inq forces.

What I do know:

The Inquisitor faction/sect that deals greatly with my minor order is all female. In fact they were all once Adepta Sororitas, most from the chamber militant. How can this be? While faith (shield of faith), and strict adherence to behavior can prevent a sister who knows nothing of her potential abilities from ever manifesting in her life time. There are (in my 40k lens) sisters that are psykers (usually in all cases faith alone should bury the power away), that the shield can no longer protect them from themselves. The result for an Adepta Sororitas to be faced with this fate is damning. She has become the thing she was born to hate.

Where my Inquisitors come in is at the time a sister is on the brink or has displayed an act that looks more like witchcraft than miracle they intervene in the situation. The sister has only two options: forfeit her life in the name of the emperor, or join the inquisitors, first as an acolyte to later become an inquisitor (there is a third option, rogue, but I don't think this has ever happened. even in my own internal fan-fluff). Sisters that choose to live as an acolyte are taught that it is not for them to decide how they will serve the Emperor, if they are pyskers, then that is what they are. They must learn that they have a different path for the emperor's glory. If it is too much to take they may be put to death, mercifully and this is one of the only instances where the rites of repentance are denied. The idea that Sororitas could even have any psychic potential (not too mention the sever loss of faith in the screening process for psychic abilities, hey it can't be 100% accurate), would be very damaging.

The basic name for these women I simply call the Matron Inquisitors, a convocation, almost alumni organization of the Adepta Sororitas. They have eyes and ears within all orders, major and minor so should a sister show potential they can swiftly whisk her away without notice. The origin of the Matrons are of course extremely secretive, sisters excepted into the order are conveniently erased from all records and documents, people who witnessed them are transferred, or have events fabricated to reconstruct memory of past events. you know inquisitors doing inquisitorial things.

So I think my Matrons are somewhat Thorian and Xanthitian. I see these not being mutually exclusive. But in the eyes of Matrons I'm sure they think of themselves as puritans. Who doesn't?

They also very secretively upset the momentum of the Monodominants when ever they can. The Matrons remember the war of faith that burned many planets, conducted several exturminati and so on because of daemonic influence and witchcraft. The reality was there were no daemons even though many people believed they saw them and people blamed their neighbors of witchcraft. System after system was plagued with this phantom taint. Since the Mono influenced inquisitors couldn't pin point the source of the daemonic influence they struck indiscriminately. The truth was that a charismatic psyker was the one planting the seeds of fear and deceit, a power greater than wielding lightning on the battle field. Soon both the local IG and daemon and witch hunter forces fighting each other were taxed from fighting. This rogue then at the height of the infighting initiated his coup thus nearly capturing dozens of systems. The matrons actually had to secretly aid this rogue psyker in ending this maddened crusade before they could in turn destroy him.

Thats about all I got for now. Sorry for all the perens.

My (as yet unnamed) Inquisitor Lord would be Monodominant and Xanthite combined. He belives that all non-human taint must be cleansed, but he isn't paricularly choosey on how. He commonly uses Daemonhosts on the battlefield, making sure to dispatch them afterwards if they do not fall during their suicidal attacks.

I have narrative for an Inquisitor and his three apprentices, plus the major players of his accompanying group, plus his deceased master. Personally, I find many approaches appealing but only as long as everyone follows the same tack.

SCHTAUFFEN (named after Siegfried Schtauffen; Soul Calibur series)

I have the distinct feeling that most of your characters in this thread are in the prime of their lives at roughly 200 years of age and are physically healthy, hearty and hale. Schtauffen's pessimism and pitiful physical condition are a deliberate attempt to subvert the typical hero's ideal physical state and positive life outlook:

Inquisitor Lord Schtauffen (assumed name) primarily holds Recongregationist ties. Unlike Thorians and Horusians, Schtauffen sees almost no way for a single individual to save the Imperium and holds little hope for humanity because he is particularly jaded and cynical. Memories of the death of his master and several peers, coupled with the loss of most of his organic body over 200 years, both contribute to this, though data taken from Inquisitor Xu's records of his students show that Schtauffen was a relatively bitter and pessimistic youth to begin with.

Schtauffen's analytical political philosophy is important to understanding why he is Recongregationist rather than Thorian or Istvaanian, or some other group. It is important for realistic characters to have thought and reason, to help develop their behaviour so that they make realistic actions when they join a narrative. For example: why is a Monodominant Monodominant? What is the order of his or her priorities? Does he or she have any strong personal fixations, like an old grudge or a strong focus on specific enemies? Reasoning affects how a Monodominant makes decisions, and similar questions are important to the development of other Inquisitors' beliefs.

Despite his pessimism, Schtauffen believes that if the Emperor still lived He would reclaim more lost worlds leading the Marine Chapters further across the galaxy, would purge petty corruption and political infighting within the organizations of the Imperium and would lift the common people out of their suffering and sin. Schtauffen believes in correcting mutation and madness; his master Inquisitor Xu was particularly insistent on teaching the early history of the Imperium and the Inquisition, and Schtauffen still holds a very strong impression of the Emperor's earliest efforts to restore Terra and unite humanity.

This impression forms the basis of his approach to Recongregationism: only a united effort to make continuous positive change can secure the future of humanity, like the movement of the Imperium under the Emperor's leadership or the expansion of the Tau under the leadership of their Ethereals. Negative change such as the infighting of the Orks and the division between the Eldar is evident in the organizations of the Imperium, so they must be eliminated and rebuilt in ways that corruption can be prevented before it arises and corrected after the fact. Stability, such as that seen amongst the worlds under the management of the Ultramarines chapter, is only temporary, as any sufficiently effective outside power can affect that stability (Schtauffen's beliefs are vindicated here when the Tyranid invasion destroys several of those worlds and the First Company of the Ultramarines chapter).

Schtauffen also compares the individual leadership of the Emperor with the collective leadership of the Tau; the Tau are much more persistent and make continuous successes because their leadership is not fixed to a single fallible individual. Multiple leaders may never have the individual effectiveness of the Emperor, but as long as any number of Ethereals survive, the future of the Tau is secure under their intelligent guidance. Schtauffen will willingly provide assistance and information to Thorians (and certain Horusians he believes trustworthy), though he places no stock in their ideals.

XU (named after Xu; Final Fantasy VIII)

Xu is a distinct attempt to create a positive character that contrasts the grim and dark 40K setting, as well as the belligerent and pessimistic attitude that most of your other Inquisitors seem to take.

Inquisitor Xu was an Amalathian, and maintained strong connections with the Administratum and Ministorum and other Imperial organizations such as the Black Ships. It was from the Black Ships that Xu drew most of his acolytes; he personally trained at least several dozen from their teens and twenties, of whom only a handful survived to graduate as Inquisitors. Most died on missions or shortly after initiation, one disappeared into the Eye of Chaos, several died with him while on an investigation, and the remaining 2 survived long enough to train their own successors (Schtauffen is one of the two and was himself injured in the event that caused Xu's death). Xu had very few issues with death, as is evident in his relatively high turnover rate of assistants; acolytes who died would be replaced almost immediately because Xu anticipated death as a common event and a normal part of life.

Xu's Amalathian philosophy was probably influenced by the teachings of the Schola Progenium and a lifetime of experiences with the Imperial Guard, where numbers are a resource before they represent individual lives. Across the large organization of the Imperium, single individuals can contribute only their efforts and their part for the whole, and Xu believed himself no exception. As long as he was able to root out corruption and heresy as an Inquisitor, follow the laws of the Administratum and the Emperor as an Imperial citizen, and teach those beliefs to his followers to ensure the next generation, Xu was satisfied that he was doing his part. This distinct lack of strong ambitions, however, may have held back the full extent of his abilities and prevented his ascension to the honorary titles that represent Lordship amongst Inquisitors.

His Amalathian philosophy was also rooted in the study of history, which he taught almost religiously. History in the Imperium shows that sudden change begets conflict, and therefore chaos, and therefore death. The Emperor's coming resulted in the deaths of many humans who attempted to resist, the change which became the Horus Heresy resulted in the greatest conflict within humanity, and the changes led by Sebastian Thor, Goge Vandire and other strong figures in Imperial history all led to the deaths of as many innocents as soldiers. Here, Xu's conditioned response to death differed from his beliefs about how death should occur: Xu believed that those unnecessary deaths should be avoided through slow changes of collective efforts. As long as humanity persists, people will make small efforts to advance their situation and the situation of the people around them, and the organizations of the Imperium act to help take care of the people and to support those efforts. Xu's beliefs gave little concern to
xenos
races, as he believed that no race would sufficiently threaten humanity's survival unless they were somehow immune to fear of death and could bring sufficient force and numbers to overwhelm the united military arms of the Imperium.

If I was a Witch hunter I be a very practical Amalathian. Certianly my Inquistor Lord Donald Mallard would have come from this linage. Consider rather soft dispite a well earned record. He and his former students James Palmer and Abby Sciuto are inquistors with pure heart and even temper while each has theor own quirks they all beleive in the power of the innocent and faith in the Emperor. As such they are always quite sure of their targets and always to take care not to cost Innocent lives. While sometimes their must be paid a high price in lives their goal is to save all they can. As such Lord Mallard has only once ordered an Exterminatus, it deeply affected him, many question if he could ever do it again. On the more Practical side to save Innocent lives Either of the Three would borrow convince or con Xenos to do their dirty work if they can point them at chaos, surely mutual aid is always a plus.

Inquisitor Armag is definately Horusian... Started at Xanthite, but his dallying with the Relictors Chapter as of late has changed his views somewhat... Although his 'experiments' and 'long term planning' was cut short by the Relictors Extremis Diabolis (although, since thats changed in the new codex, perhaps I can revisit it...)

I haven't quite figured out what Inquistior Malachai's faction is. Hell, I haven't even figured out his Ordos.

He's probably puritanical, with a devotion to the Imperial Creed, but a little more tolerant of psykers than most.

Tyrak, would perhaps a running total / list in the first post of who selected what be appropriate? Out of curiosity. We don't have THAT many Inquisitors on the forums, and putting our forum names under applicable selections may prove interesting. Of course, the "independant" column would be big, but there could be summations in parenthesis perhaps after the name. Sort of an Inquisitorial census.

OK, in that case I will have to ask that everyone (re)post their stance with username and name of Inquisitor (if different) if you didn't make it clear originally ("My Inquisitor is X Faction . . .")

Only ranks that can be represented in-game please, no claims that you are the Inquisitorial Representative.

Archived