Mechanicum

Iron Lord

+++Spoiler alert stop reading if your not done reading it or haven't picked it up yet+++

Guys don't forget that the guardian also mentioned something about the emperor seeing ahead and that in order for humanity to survive it would lead to a time of no love, endless sacrifice and few friends. It's as if the emperor intentionally made the empire what it is today. Perhaps the time of ending just means that there is a renaissance on the horizon. Guess some in the inquisition were right about not messing with the emps plans and leaving things as they are.

Now that I think about it; I wonder if malcador is one of the emperors sensie? Maybe it will lead back to the whole star child theory along with what cypher is really up to.

Yeah that eternal sacrifice bit made me think.

Maybe the Emperor let Horus strike him down to be a martyr, a beacon of hope for all humanity. He was that while he was alive in a dangerous world, but he would be forever a symbol of hope, unity and victory if he defeated Horus (Chaos) while struck down as a martyr.

If you follow the popular imperial credo that the Emperor is still guiding everything through the Golden Throne then 'eternal sacrifice' has merit! His ... well life i guess... in the warp would be a constant battle against the tide of the other entities (amonst them the Chaos Gods) and still find the energy to guide humanity is concidered eternal sacrifice in my account.

"Time of Ending" doesn't specify just what is ending :D

As if it was necessary...beware of spoilers below.

I just got and finished Mechanicum a few days ago, and I'd put it as my second fav of the HH series after the great Horus Rising. it was quite refreshing to see it all from a new perspective, and the book just felt...older I guess. Mars, being the big red beast, was quite well developed, and I particularly enjoyed the bits regarding the Titan Legios and the Knights of Taranis.

It just had a whole slew of new and interesting stuff to read about and brand new stuff to think about. On a scale of one to great, I give it a great.

Additinally, I also just picked up Dark Disciple and Titanicus(with the sweet hardcover, chicks dig hardcover) at the same time, and I dug them too. (I'm a fast reader)

Spoilers Alert: so if you haven't read Mechanicum then go elsewhere ^_^.

=====================

I too have just finished the excellent Mechanicum. It's great to see a book in this series without the overblown 'heroicism' of the Astartes that we usefully get fed.

In fact the Astartes come across as weak-looking and vain which is unusual. Turning up late in the day to safeguard their own supplies and then leaving Mars to it's fate – hardly a fitting rôle for the Emperor's finest I'm thinking. (BTW this isn't a dig at the Imperial Fists – I'd happily apply the same epithet to any Chapter involved).

But then what else could they realistically do? Were the Forges already lost as it appeared they were or was that an excuse not to get drawn in further with more numbers? The Chapter was needed on Terra after all yet they nevertheless came over as self-centered and uncaring – did they not realise the future value of Mars to the success of the Imperium's expansion? Leaving them to their own fate seemed extremely short-sighted and ill-considered.

And the Emperor we are told didn't want to get involved (bigger fish to fry apparently) – surely a mistake – or just corroboration of what Horus himslf realised that the Emperor had become?

All in all not one of the Astartes' finest moments it seems to me :P.

That aside their are some useful insights to the IF and Astartes details generally. Apparently they had gold or golden armour pre-heresy is this correct or merely artistic licence in describing their yellow plate?. OK my knowledge of pre-heresy IF is scant so forgive the ignorance here. Also we learn that battle-plate is silver before it is painted, something that I'd never seen (or maybe forgotten I'd seen) in print before.

... and the dragon thing... mystifying :)

Cheers

I

In fact the Astartes come across as weak-looking and vain which is unusual. Turning up late in the day to safeguard their own supplies and then leaving Mars to it's fate – hardly a fitting rôle for the Emperor's finest I'm thinking. (BTW this isn't a dig at the Imperial Fists – I'd happily apply the same epithet to any Chapter involved).

But then what else could they realistically do? Were the Forges already lost as it appeared they were or was that an excuse not to get drawn in further with more numbers? The Chapter was needed on Terra after all yet they nevertheless came over as self-centered and uncaring – did they not realise the future value of Mars to the success of the Imperium's expansion? Leaving them to their own fate seemed extremely short-sighted and ill-considered.

Personally I reckon it's good that we are starting to see the ruthlessly pragmatic side of the Astartes that is normally overlooked.

Overall I thought it was a very solid book. I ran through it in about 4 days so it must have been pretty engrossing right? :lol:

Notable things for myself included:

1) How "human" the Ad Mech was at this stage. Not physically, but emotionally/personality. They seemed like they lacked singled minded nature of their 40k versions and instead had more quirks and foibles which made them more interesting.

2) A very good description of what its like to pilot a Titan while directly connected to it. As opposed to feeling like you're encased and trapped, it comes across as free and powerful.

3) The description and scale of Mars and its Forges. Truly massive in every aspect. Tons of different technologies, lots of new potential for growth. Very detailed picture of what it would be like to work there.

4) The conversation with Dorn about the 2 missing Legions. It definately came across as there was some inherent fatal flaw in what they did or themselves that kept them from being used. It also seems like they are either still around or there is some access to them because of the response say "don't you think about it". If they hadn't existed anymore, such a response would seem unnecessary.

5) The general lack of Astartes. Its good to have a book that deals with someone other than the Marines occasionally. It helps remind you that the galaxy is bigger than the Legions.

6) The additional details about the Emperor and who he had fought and subdued. Love the long range planning, would have made even Tzeentch proud!

7) I must be weird but I didn't like the Knights. I thought they felt tacked on and kinda like fanservice. But then again I feel that way about all aspects of the Knights. I don't think that particular weapon class should even exist, its much too close to Eldar or Tau sort of technologies in my mind.

I thought it was a very good read, one of the best in the Heresy series. But like Legion, it annoys you by asking more questions than it answers.

I'm sure the book stolen must be somewhere in the existing fluff. Its been a while since I read Titanicus, but if I remember correctly the book in that revealed evidence that the Emperor was not the Omnissiah. So its possible they are one and the same, but I think Mechanicus is hinting at something bigger than a problem on just one world.

And as for the next guardian, who knows? One interesting thing to note is that the Emperor uses a power used by the guardians at the start of the book - fixing a machine. I imagine this is becuase the guardians are said to be given a portion of his power, but I'm not sure.

And its also obvious just how closely McNeill and Abnett worked together to write this and Titanicus. I think it helps to read Titanicus first to understand the Noosphere, etc, and then again after reading Mechanicus, to notice the connections. This may include the revelations in Titanicus that cause all the problems.

Just my rambling thoughts on it...

i was thinking... how did the emperor took the dragon to mars? this was impossible in the middle age, even for warhammer standard.... further, the guardians feed the dragon, so i think he chained him somewhere on earth, only to bring it to mars later..

so now, we have a ctan sleeping on earth... and one of the bones of the dragon is said to be in a monastery near orta... so i ve the pride to show you the current place where the dragon is chained!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/61/Lago_d

I just finised this yesterday. I really enjoied the read. I do have one question that I cant figure out for the life of me.

at the very end, who stole the book that Dalia was looking after?

Im not sure if it is know, or I just completely missed that part.

All in all another awesome addition to the HH series. Now I need to speed-read some other books that are piling up before the next HH book comes out.

It's been stated in this thread before, but at that point, one person is looking at the book, one is dead, two are staying behind, and one is unconscious. By the process of deduction, there can only be really one person who could have / would have done it.

Edit: Corrected spelling.

I have Tales of Heresy on preorder, it sats it ships out early April...I cant wait to read it. I am really happy with this book, mainly because of the lack of marines (another reason I really got into Titanicus.) It was a nice change of pace, plus I have always been interested in the tech's, so it was cool to learn a bit more about Mars. Either way, no dissapointment here. I have yet to read a Graham book I didnt like.

Archived