Are They moving the heresy along

sofewbullets

I have enjoyed all of the HH series so far.

Bought Mechanicum today at lunchtime and read 50 pages so far - enjoying it too, even without the power armour.

As has been said, GW need to make money so probably plotted out the first few books and I wouldn't be surprised if the main events are all plotted out. However once the series started to become successful (and it is!) they thought a-ha we can expand this a bit - one, to make more money out of it and two, because it allows the guys in GW to create all of the extended fluff and story for the universe that, remember, they love too.

I can't wait for it all to end, but I appreciate it may take some years to write the entire story - including the filling in bits. The story will progress I expect, but slowly, gradually filling in everyone's viewpoints until we get to the climax on Horus's ship - and even then we may move forward into the Great Scouring.

Only one real critique to make so far was with Battle for the Abyss. I understood the point of the story and its place in the overall arc of the Heresy - or at least I think it was to show that had the UMs been completely taken off guard and lost Macragge, the final outcome of the whole thing would have been very different and also to show the AdMech traitorous involvement. But and its quite a big BUT,, the writing style on this one felt very like a 'modern' 40K style and not 30K, all the others seem to have more of a difference.

Gah. Quit the "money money money" thing, just for once.

So. Bloody. What.

And if they had wanted to "make (big) money" on the HH? They'd have had to actually make them cost more, imvvho. But. Whatever.

We already know the main plot, the start, the end, of the Horus Heresy. Great Crusade, big war, the Warmaster falls to Chaos, half the legions go there too, big war everywhere, final fight Horus - Emperor, Golden Throne, the end.

The series expand, go into detail as previously said, ask questions previously not asked, gives answers to those, looks at the Heresy from a myriad viewpoints... Some books go a little bit further than others, others expand more on the background to the Heresy.

It's not about the game 40K, in the series. It's about the literature in itself (and if you will, the fluff, and 30K). Read it for what it is, namely a journey into unknown depths of something well-known, and, above all - the story.

I expect that there's a handy wiki-page giving all the information about the event of the Heresy in abridged and rather "factual" form out there somewhere, being filled as we go. That's great. No need to trudge through a myriad of books. For those who are so inclined (or just feel like looking up a certain detail).

But maybe I'm one of the few reading it for the exhilarating thrill of reading, of knowing more, of seeing from the eyes of others, of... you get the point. Then again, I've always been reading a lot, from Genji Monogatari and the Edda, to hundreds of fantasy books, so-called "classics" and other fiction. Maybe I'm the odd one out here.

I can't believe that anyone is complaining about these books being so exhaustive in their addressing of every detail of so many events of the Heresy. So far all of the events addressed by these novels have already been written about in enough detail that to say GW is stretching to get more material for more books (and I guess more money) is silly .

Well I am only at Fall of Angels, so I have a long way to go...

But IMHO I feel that what they are doing is laying out the the structure of the Heresy in the first 3 books, then they are going back to tell the stories that were happening during the same time period of the first 3 books that led them into that situation. I have to assume that later on the story picks up where all the legions and forces come together and wrap up the heresy storyline. Of course I could be wrong but I don't care, I am just enjoying the read. It's nice to have an ogoing story as opposed to random single books like Storm of Iron, or Demonworld, Eldar Prophecy, etc..

As the guys above have said, personally I love the whole story surrounding the Horus Heresy, and think its perhaps the most evocative in the whole '40k' universe. i'd be happy if they go on to write a 100 books, and if they keep to the standard set so far I'd quite happily read every one of them (although I realise this sounds slightly insane!)

You know what blows me away about people complaining over GW's desire for money.

You guys do realize they are a business, yes? Jeez, as long as they are releasing decent and better products, I'm happy!

Ah, the tired old- GW is meant to screw you out of as much money as possible, they're a business, so shut up and hand over the wallet- argument.

'Decent and better products' is very much in the eye of the beholder. GW has been very hit and miss on this. I know it might shatter your mind to find other's don't worship GW as perfect, but they have produced poor products in the opinions of some customers.

A few Horus Heresy books stand out as such for me, the DA "riding in the woods one day" and the Word Bearer "for the fiftieth time look how big my ship is, yes, it's huge, excuse me while I stroke my cartoon evil guy moustache".

yes they are a business

According to the web page for ork storm boyz "they can ( with a Waaaagh!) get a 24" move and charge in one turn.

According to the arrata orks storm boyz cant Waaaagh!

They dont even read there own rules!!!!

Books are Very diff from games

Book 1 - space marine book - they turn up they kill 1000 eldar each they leave

Book 2 - Imperial Guard - they turn up in a S@@T hole - the commisars a @@@ - they die in droves.

Book 3 - Eldar - We are so clever --- we meant to do that ! eg Loose, start a war ECT

Book 4 - Chaos - By the end of the book the second in command will have turned on the leader.

There... just saved you all a lot of time and money!

if you don't like them don't buy them. And since thre are a bunch of different books by different authors you can just buy the ones you care about. if you don't want to accidentally buy a crappy one read some of it first or look online for reviews like i do. While GW does need to make money they aren't forcing you to buy everything, if they could they wouldn't have any financial problems. If you don't like their product the best way to get them to improve it is to write to them explaining your point of view calmly and having everyone else you know that feels the same write them as well. If that doesn't work simply stop buying their stuff. I'm sure they'd notice a pattern and make a change because they are out to make money and they will make a quality product if that will make them money or keep them from losing customers.

Though that really applies to more to game products than books. the majority of the HH books are really good. i didn't too much like fulgrim but it was still oka and the first 4 books plus legion were also great. I didn't get descent of Angels or the Abyss because of all the negative comments i saw about them. So i was able to buy the quality products and avoid the crappy ones. If you continue to do this then they will pick up on the faults of the crappy ones and do a better job net time to make it more like the good ones and know which authors are best suited to certain roles.

yes they are a business

According to the web page for ork storm boyz "they can ( with a Waaaagh!) get a 24" move and charge in one turn.

They dont even read there own rules!!!!

Books are Very diff from games

Book 1 - space marine book - they turn up they kill 1000 eldar each they leave

Book 2 - Imperial Guard - they turn up in a S@@T hole - the commisars a @@@ - they die in droves.

Book 3 - Eldar - We are so clever --- we meant to do that ! eg Loose, start a war ECT

Book 4 - Chaos - By the end of the book the second in command will have turned on the leader.

There... just saved you all a lot of time and money!

Ummm...just curious but with that attitude why do you even visit this here forum and play GW games then?

In legion you find out what to do with the heresy ?

same in angels

same in fulgrim

Someone might have already cleared this up, I don't know. I wizz through the topic too quickly... anyway, i digress.

In legion, haven't read it but someone said that the Alpha legion technically caused the Death of Horus. Too complicated. In short, they turned traitor to let the Emperor beat Horus and so by turning traitor, they remianed loyalist.

In angels, the rest of the storyis cleared up in Fallen Angels, coming out soooooooooooooooooon...

In Fulgrim, it is telling the tale of Fulgrim and so his course of action upto the Isstvan V massacre, and so he decides the course of the heresy. He could have eithere made or broke Horus. It tells how the taint of Chaos was in fulgrim years before Isstvan. Have i missed anything?

Oh, By the way:

Yeah, they can. The Codex states...ooh, bit of an Ultra moment there...ooh...that all Stormboys are jump infantry, therefore a type of infantry and gain the waaagh!. It is just a fancy name for a one a game fleet. If Assualt Squads can have fleet then so can we. Humph!

Archived