[Artwork] 'Libris Primaris'

You know what I think allready Nic, but it is nice to see them posted and panted anyway :lol:

I will be here to nit-pick on every single piece you put out, until there is no nitpicking to be done anymore and everyones heads explode by the sheer awesomeness of your images (don't laugh, it will happend, if you are willing to sign your soul on tripple duplicates...) :P

joke aside, as always it is stunning and it is getting more and more difficult to nit-pick anything at all...

I didn't want to pass up on the opportunity to let you all know that I've read all the comments you've posted, brothers, and will soon start on the new Rogal Dorn piece I have in mind next... after that, who knows? There's been a lot of hands raised for Guilliman and Alpharius (with his sneaky conterpart Omegon), so perhaps those two will be tackled after I'm done with the Imperial Fists's leader.

However, I do want to get my hands on redesigns of the old illustrations I'd made, especially Fulgrim and Ferrus Manus; and seeing as though their destinies entwined in such a tragic end when the Heresy began, I think it might be interesting to pitch them together next month...

So, Until them and let's hope I can deliver soon, or risk the doom of threadomancy!

Aerion.-

:) Hey Aerion, pleasure to see you around !

Daddy and first son are not new to us and always a pleasure to see.

Those new ones are splendid. Lion is resplendant and regal, all perfect. There is also a perfect contrast between the stern black armar and the delicate background. Really one of your best (and its a pain for me to say that about the first fallen primarch and initiator of the marines in... robes :HS: ).

This new version of Sanguinius is just great but you should have done wider wings to my opinion. His rococco blade (seriously, you've seen the initial drawings of it ? Looks like a 90's high elfe toothpicks with hearts and everything...) could have been a good idea too for swords are the mark of elegant warriors (eating with fingers is NOT :HQ: ).

Perturabo is a must ! Armour is great, pose is super, the face is the very best (you can see a strong planning mind and unshakable determination), short officer haircut is the right choice too. Hammer seems a bit "different". Dunno how to say that, the colour, the shape and decorations... I'd see an rougher thing is hands of that size.

Rogal'll be cool, can't wait to see.

DS

Let me begin by saying, that I've been a fan of your style and works ever since I first saw your first renditions of the Iron Souls, a few years back. Your touch and way of giving form is very distinctive, characterful and intuitive, and for me, those are the qualities in an illustrator which I deeply respect. So respec' to you, man! I also immensely like all your non-Warhammer related work, where your style seems to find even better footing. One of my all time favourites is the piece titled 'Enigma' and I can't say how pleased I was when I saw your first images of N0.1R, as the character design is very similar in both. You have a wonderful thing going on with your illustrations. Please don't ever stop producing more. ^_^

Ok, enough of thread-non-related blathering and foaming.

I think these are by far your best pieces of Warhammer 40,000 related images. I don't necessarily mean your style of drawing space marine armour, or your view of the Primarchs, but the overall feel and atmosphere in the images. At first I couldn't say what made the images so powerful, but now after perusing them, it must be the composition combined with your characterful style that find a sort of resonance that the viewer can feel. Very well executed!

The composition is incredibly effective, now that I've thought about it even more. All the elements in the images are keyed to convey character. The background is no longer an environment where the character exists, but more like a mirror of each individual's soul, enhancing the pose and demeanor of the character. Wonderful! Plus the choice of black as background really deepens all the colours, adding even more depth to them.

As for the characters themselves, I can't say I would have had you do anything differently. You have your personal view of the Primarchs and that's what makes your art so interesting, the different approach.

I personally would very much like to see how you would characterize the more enigmatic Primarchs, such as Alpharius (and Omegon?) of the Alpha Legion or Corax of the Raven Guard. Jaghatai Khan and Angron would also be interesting.

Looking very much forward to new work from you!

Wow! These are simply the greatest Astartes artwork I've seen. I vote for Rogal Dorn next, followed by Mortarion.

Thank you very much, brother!

Perturabo is just as I expected you would draw him. You did my leige lord justice! Hail!

That's a great compliment indeed! An illustrator's job is about bringing the people's visions to life, so if I've matched that in at least a 50%, I'm a happy man!

:D Hey Aerion, pleasure to see you around !

Daddy and first son are not new to us and always a pleasure to see.

Those new ones are splendid. Lion is resplendant and regal, all perfect. There is also a perfect contrast between the stern black armar and the delicate background. Really one of your best (and its a pain for me to say that about the first fallen primarch and initiator of the marines in... robes :P ).

This new version of Sanguinius is just great but you should have done wider wings to my opinion. His rococco blade (seriously, you've seen the initial drawings of it ? Looks like a 90's high elfe toothpicks with hearts and everything...) could have been a good idea too for swords are the mark of elegant warriors (eating with fingers is NOT :lol: ).

Perturabo is a must ! Armour is great, pose is super, the face is the very best (you can see a strong planning mind and unshakable determination), short officer haircut is the right choice too. Hammer seems a bit "different". Dunno how to say that, the colour, the shape and decorations... I'd see an rougher thing is hands of that size.

Rogal'll be cool, can't wait to see.

DS

It's been a long time, my fellow colleague! And it's certainly a joy to see you here and that you've enjoyed these renditions so much indeed! As usual, you bring me a lot of insights and (now that I have a LITTLE time off) I'll address a few bits: The wings on Sangunius could've been bigger, but there's one thing that stopped that from happening and it's the fact that the canvas has restrictions of the physical kind... I wouldn't know how to send my client an original the size of an A3 paper! The sword was mentioned at some pont in our conversations, but we decided against it, as we felt it would've detracted from the sort of detached and superior look that Sanguinius has as it stands.

Perturabo has been very praised and I'm definitely happy with the job I did on him and hope to keep this level up in the coming renditions. The hammer was a personal view, actually; some suggested I make it bigger, or more 'brutish', but I felt that (since it wasn't created especifically FOR Perturabo) it wouldn't have been as languid in ornamentation as this Primarchs machinations.

I hope to see you when I upload Rogal! ;)

Looking very much forward to new work from you!

Yuri, mate, I didn't quote all your words for the sake of space, but let me tell you that I'm extremely humbled that you'd think so highly of my art and I'm honoured by your trust in that I'll do a good job with my designs and take on the Emperor's Finest. I agree with you that the composition is the most solid aspect of these images and I'm really happy I stumbled (because I DID stumble upon it by chance!) upon it. There's a couple of other illustrations I have in the works, which will include a similar composition, also WH40K related; I hope I'll post them up here as well!

Thank you, deeply, again and see you all soon!

Aerion.-

I'm going to chime in and say that I absolutely love these. One in particular that I would love to see is Vulkan. Now this may be because Salamanders have been my favorite army since I started playing Space Marines, but I just feel that there isn't enough artwork out there of Vulkan.

This has to be the first time Horus has really looked how I imagined, great stuff; they all kind of make me with there was a warhammer 40k animated series ^^.

I'd watch that!

Especially one done in this style!

Very Nice work there, Aerion.

I really like your style, wich I find quite unique and really awesome! :(

I'll keep a close eye on this thread. ;)

Aerion.

Amazing artwork as always, i love your style of drawing and colouring and am always excited to see what you have produced.

I have read the iron souls series on warseer, is there any more then those three? if so, where can i get my hands on them? they are briliant, and i would like to see what happens to rusted and his comrades

Aerion.

Amazing artwork as always, i love your style of drawing and colouring and am always excited to see what you have produced.

I have read the iron souls series on warseer, is there any more then those three? if so, where can i get my hands on them? they are briliant, and i would like to see what happens to rusted and his comrades

I can answer this one for Aerion- Rusted was discontinued as Aerion and the writer decided to work on other projects for a while. As far as I understand there is no planned continuation of the series...

I can't do much else but echo the praise you've already gotten. I've followed a bit of your work on deviantART, and considered taking a thing or two from your amazing stuff and incorperating it into my own illustrations. I like the style for it's consistancy, and amount of detail, while remaining cartoony and light. I also love the work you put into backgrounds and borders.

That said, did you really start these as commissions for a guy out on Long Island? I met a guy at my local game store who is pretty well known there, and I noticed he had both your Emperor and Horus tattoo'd on his arms. And I'm talking the full piece, black border and all. He told me that he was the original client for these, and currently holds the originals.

I also managed to snag a few of the prints that he brought with him to give out, and now have your Grey Knight and Lion on my wall, though I wish I coulda gotten an Emprah. :P

One last thing: I can tell from most hi-res images that you clearly use some sort of paint marker to do your coloring. Favorite brand? I'm not huge on non-digital coloring, but I do it on occassion, and really haven't had the opportunity to experiment with brands and styles.

Anyway, like I said, I enjoy your work quite a bit. And if you get a chance, make a loyal Ultramarine happy and do up Guilliman. I know you'd do him quite a bit of justice.

One last thing: I can tell from most hi-res images that you clearly use some sort of paint marker to do your coloring. Favorite brand? I'm not huge on non-digital coloring, but I do it on occassion, and really haven't had the opportunity to experiment with brands and styles.

I'm pretty sure Aerion's said before that he sures Kurecolor markers. He did put up a step-by-step that might give you some hints. :lol:

I'm pretty sure Aerion's said before that he sures Kurecolor markers. He did put up a step-by-step that might give you some hints. :D

Ahh, thanks a ton. Like I said, I prefer digital coloring on the whole, for the control I have over it, but I do on occasion use my paints. I'll be sure to look into some of those products and test them out.