The Sons of Medusa

Grey_Death

Khrangar, Thanks :lol:.

Midas, ^_-

XKhalilX, I think you might have me confused with the Uber-Conversionist GreyDeath! He's a fantastic modeler that I'd be more than happy to be confused with though! We started on different sides of the net and the hobby spectrum and have been crossing paths here since I've joined up!

As for your Successor though, I'd throw a good amount of black in there honestly! A nice throwback to the Iron Hands overall. Any ideas on the chapter badge yet?

I'll be doing a termie squad for this army in the future, but no captains are on the block right now. Just a MoTF! Perseus is the spiritual HQ, and in the Campaign he IS my HQ ;).

+++++++++++++++++++++

Perseus Progress Report:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/4/21/28716_sm-Sons%20Of%20Medusa,%20Space%20Marines,%20Venerable%20Dreadnought,%20Warhammer%2040,000.JPG

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/4/21/28717_sm-Sons%20Of%20Medusa,%20Space%20Marines,%20Venerable%20Dreadnought,%20Warhammer%2040,000.JPG

I'm a LOT happier with the green now that I've gotten the weathering on it. It wasn't working for me and now it is.

However I'm somewhat uncertain about the litany plates on the sarcophagus. I was thinking of regular parchment but couldn't help but wonder if they would be easier and look a bit better in the bronze/gold. Any thoughts?

Also might need to tone down the autocannon metal some with a light badab wash.

Expect a few damage spots on the sarcophagus plates as well. I will have to use a regular brush for those spots. The big damage spots were done with a big gnarly brush I use for terrain drybrushing ^_-... Still done in the same manner as my marines only without the sponge.

If I get some good feedback to help solidify my ideas some, I should be able to knock out the rest of the details tomorrow night sometime!

C&C welcome and wanted as always!! Stay tuned ^_-.

Looking very nice. I agree I think the metal on the autocannon could use some toning down to fit in with the rest of the metals. Is the litany plate the thing on the right side of the first picture that is shaped like a shield? If so I think it would look better in the bronze/gold color than parchemnt. I think parchment would take away from the visual center of the white helmet by placing something else bright ish right near it.

I love that autocannon arm, how did you do that?! I must know.

Over all this army is amazing in detail. I'm liking the bright geen (hard for me to get bright colours period). Wonder if they make a grey spray I can use?

Gumba, The autocannon will definitely get toned down a little. I don't know how much yet, just I'll throw a little black wash/brown wash over it and see where it gets me. You're right on with the litany plates, the consensus is that they would definitely be better in bronze/gold. I've already put a little bit of work into making them that way, just need to decide how dark/gold I want them to be ^_-.

Focslain, the autocannons are just IG heavy weapon autocannons trimmed from the receiver and one of the rods removed. The ammo is from the same kit. The dreadnought arm I used for the base is the twin linked las arm. Clip the lascannons appropriately and any cabling. Fill the gap with some plasticard and a bit of greenstuff/filler to hide the lines. You'll also need to fill the gap between the ammo and the slant of the dread arm of the top can. Really wish I would have taken more photos because it's such an easy conversion with such a great result ^_^.

Focslain, the autocannons are just IG heavy weapon autocannons trimmed from the receiver and one of the rods removed. The ammo is from the same kit. The dreadnought arm I used for the base is the twin linked las arm. Clip the lascannons appropriately and any cabling. Fill the gap with some plasticard and a bit of greenstuff/filler to hide the lines. You'll also need to fill the gap between the ammo and the slant of the dread arm of the top can. Really wish I would have taken more photos because it's such an easy conversion with such a great result :ermm:.

Noted and I have the bitz, Forkai is getting an upgrade! (His my Ven dread).

Green has never looked so good.

Well said, Kovacs ;)

A beautiful green there, very unique and eye-catching. It must be a priveledge for anyone lucky enough to play against them.

The Battle Damage is absolutely stunning, congratulations on such nice models!

*Bookmarks Topic*

Outstanding work so far! The excellent (yet subtle) battle damage makes the vivid green look VERY realistic, this army is about the best example I've seen that brightly colored marines can look realistic! (You know, ignoring the fact that they are completely fictional and stuff :) ...)

;)

What can we say ??

Look the battle damages !! They are very beautiful, they give some caracter for your Dread !

I'm really a great fan, I very impatient to see the other tactical marines and desert stuff !

Congratulations.

I love your metallic colors !

ThomKovacs, Thanks for the compliment ^_^. The green was what really drew me to the SoMs when I was choosing my chapter for the Badab War. I'm glad I can do it justice! As for the bases, I have broken the method down to These - Two tutorials ^_^. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask here or in the comments section on the site!

blood_raven_240, The army has been a privilage to breath life into, and I hope people respond the same way when I play against them ^_^. Hopefully they'll be too busy checking out the army to notice the huge tactical mistakes I'll end up making! ^_-

Obliterator, it really wasn't my initial plan at the start to make them as gritty as they have become. But I think it works for a conflict like the Badab War. The long drawn out campaigns against foes just as tough and with as much resolve as your own would show in the colors and armor. And I think that's what I'm trying to convey in each scratch and paint chip.

worrywort, thanks for the kind words! I hope to keep that same reaction throughout the army as I continue with the project!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok! So I got bored painting normal Tacticals and decided my 'break' would be starting the Land Raider!

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/5/5/31372_sm-Land%20Raider,%20Sons%20Of%20Medusa,%20Space%20Marines,%20Warhammer%2040,000,%20Work%20In%20Progress.JPG

The green is about 60% basecoated, the blacks are at about 90% I believe. Once i get the green base color (scorpion green) down, it's on to highlighting, then weathering, then scratching and washing.

Can't wait to get to another stage of the process already!! Base colors are killing me!

That's a great looking Raider. I like that the black edges and whatnot make the green pop and make it so it's not a solid colour.

Great job.

Khrangar

Ok, just a small bit of info:

I tried to do stenciling for the chapter badge a while back but unfortunately at scale I need it, and the many tiny details on the Sons of Medusa emblem, I just couldn't get it to work. Add all that to the curved nature off the space marine shoulder pad, and I was trudging up hill with no relief in site.

So I decided to go with custom decals instead, and settled upon a set made by Tubal here on B&C seen here.

I ordered a bit of decal paper from Papillio, picked up some Microsol from the model shop, a bit of Krylon Crystal Clear, and have finally gotten to work on making my sheet. I still need to pick up some Microset, which they should have in today at the model shop!

So far I've figured out what scale I needed to get it to by printing a bunch of test prints and canceling the print after I got about a line or two of images. I printed these on regular paper, cut out an emblem, and dry fit it to the shoulder to check the sizing. Once I figured out how large I wanted it (I went with 25% scale in the end), I set the printer for super glossy premium paper/best quality and printed off a sheet.

After it was done printing, I let it dry a few minutes, and set to spraying the sheet with the Crystal Clear to set the decals. Now, I wait...impatiently...for a whole day...

The fruits of my labor though are satisfying so far

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2009/5/6/31564_sm-Decals,%20Sons%20Of%20Medusa,%20Space%20Marines,%20Warhammer%2040,000.JPG

edit: Proper credit given to Tubal for the Decal set!

Very nice work dude, I am in awe of your painting style.. I was going to start out with Sons of Medusa myself but I decieded to go Black Templar in the end. Although seeing your troops, i'm quite determined to start some Sons of Medua myself!

I have to ask, simple question I know but do you use Badab Black wash for the recesses in the armor? you make it look so effective so I just had to know if you do indeed use the wash or have another method? cheers.

Making your own decals is a bit tedious but I really find it satisfying. I usually give mine a few coats of crystal clear (maybe 2-3) with very ample time to dry inbetween them. Wait untill you experience the joy of cutting them all out! My advice is make more than you need as I usually mess up a few here and there in the process of prepping them for placing on a mini.

So I decided to go with custom decals instead, and settled upon a set made by Kurgan the Lurker here on B&C seen here.

Just to clarify I did not create those decal sets! I simply uploaded them.

The first version of the downloads area could only have files added by Admins, hence my name being on all the older files as I was the one who had to upload them. That is no longer the case however and anyone can submit files to the downloads area, though they have to be approved by an Admin before they go "live".

If you look on the description of the decal sets you will see who made them, in this case Tubal made them.

Really wish I would have taken more photos because it's such an easy conversion with such a great result :tu:.

That twin-linked auto-cannon dread arm is a darn good conversion; it really stands out for such a simple (yet effective) conversion. The LR is definitely going to be impressive when you're done.

Its all comming on very very nicely...still loving the colour, everytime i open this thread for a look it still strikes me :woot:

Archived