Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Sons of Medusa

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
181 replies to this topic

Tinweasel

Tinweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 125 posts
  • Faction: Disciples of the Four
I was going to ask whether you were going with the Sons' old or new Chapter insignias, as they've changed over time - I hadn't seen any mention posted in this thread thus far, but I guess you've already settled on one per your post on the BoLS ones.

I have to say I'm definitely loving the painting work - it's nice to see an army so effectively presented with more than basecoat, shade, and highlight. The weathering looks great, and I'm looking forwards to more. I think it's great when one of the old school Chapters that haven't been mainstreamed get some love!

Grey_Death

Grey_Death

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 238 posts
  • Faction: Grey Death Legion
Now for my first test of the decals:

Posted Image

I had expected a bit more of an opaque grey >.>...BUT, after thinking it over, this ends up working out for the best! The transparency ends up letting the battle damage/weathering show through and gives me a GREAT outline to paint the chapter badge over!

Posted Image

After a little bit of test paint that's where I'm at with the first try. It's not 100% just yet though, but already promises great things ^_-.
-Aaron

Khrangar

Khrangar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,032 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors Legion
The decals turned out really well, and the painting over of them won't make them shiny, so they'll blend in nicely.
Great job.

Khrangar

Edited by Khrangar, 08 May 2009 - 04:36 PM.

QUOTE (-Q- @ Jun 1 2006, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yay! At the BnC everyone is a Mod! biggrin.png

The 11th Grand Company of Erasmus Golg

The Emperor's Word Part 2

earthen

earthen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 353 posts
  • Faction: Spirit Bears
this looks really good.

How do you paint your battle damage? Theres also some rust lines/streaking on the DK im interested in as well.

Grey_Death

Grey_Death

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 238 posts
K, thanks man ;). I'm really happpy with how they ended up working out.

earthen, I use this technique for the damage itself. As for the streak/water damage/rust lines, I use gryphonne sepia.

++++++++++++++++++

Ok, slight update time:

Posted Image

Gryphonne Sepia weathering down on the green. I'll have to go back with sepia again when the metals are done.
-Aaron

GumbaFish

GumbaFish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 553 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Consuls
Its coming along very nicely, you really do a nice job of toning down the initial bright green. The chapter symbol looks nice, that is definately a good solution for tackling the issue because making those on white decal paper and cutting them out would have been a pain.

When making the decal did you just use some editing software to increase the transparency of the decal image so it would print out slightly dark where you wanted to place paint or is it just completely hollow with only the black outlines. I just ask because before adding paint where the symbol is seems to have a lightly visible coloration on the decal, and I am planning on tinkering with making text decals and think a similar approach might work better than making the text hollow, which I don't think would work at such small sizes.

(let me know if that does or doesnt make sense!)

earthen

earthen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 353 posts
  • Faction: Spirit Bears
thanks grey!

Uncle Mel

Uncle Mel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 693 posts
  • Faction: Ordo Malleus, T'au

Posted Image[/url]

Ok this hurt my eyes a little bit but the completed models look absolutely fantastic.

Keep up the great work is all i can say!

Mel
The Chinese actually pronounce it as "nucular"

Master Chaplain Astador

Master Chaplain Astador

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,283 posts
So Grey when we going to see this beautiful master-piece army of yours up here in the Dallas area!?
[img=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/Golden_Palace/gallery_24779_1036_13376.jpg]
[url=http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?49752-My-Lastest-WIP]Current WIP[/url]
Always Accepting Commission work! Inquire at ExiledMiniatures@gmail.com

Sigvatr

Sigvatr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18 posts
This is my most looked forward to army for a very long time.

Please keep up with this one. I'm excited to see a normal Dread.

Grey_Death

Grey_Death

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 238 posts
MCA, I would love to head up that way and get a game in with the crew up that way. I just don't know it's going to happen any time soon x.x...life has gone hectic. We'll see what happens!

Gumba, The decals were just printed normal after figuring out the scale I wanted. I didn't really do any editing past that. The assumption many make is that the colors will come out opaque on the clear sheet, and that's just not the case at all. Especially with grey or white. Printers leave the white of the paper showing through for white.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Progress:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

A lot of little stuff. Metals are nearly finished. The black is highlighted much the same as my normal marines, but will be dusted a good amount in the final phase of weathering. A bit of the detailing is done, but with lots of little details (lenses mostly) still needing attention. Turrets need attention still as well, but they're a minor concern compared to finishing the hull.

I can't wait to be finished with this thing already.
-Aaron

Obliterator

Obliterator

++ CONTERO ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,996 posts
  • Faction: Salamanders
Stunning work! The wear and tear of the larger equipment (Land Raider and dread) looks very realistic! Weathering a tank can easily be overdone, with the paint flaking off, grime and rust everywhere, but you found a nice balance.
[url=http://www.fistsandfire.be][img=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Obliterator/OrderoftheRoseRavensig.jpg][/url]
[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Obliterator/]My Photobucket account[/url]

Captain Mike

Captain Mike

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 696 posts
These are so cool. Sons of Medusa are one of my favourite, if unsupported, canon chapters. Nice to see an army that does them justice, and encapsulates the fact that they are actually in a warzone! The battle damage is great. Well done.

GumbaFish

GumbaFish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 553 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Consuls
Good to know about the decals, all of my dabbling has been on white decal paper so I havent had a chance to play around with clear paper really.

metcalfedan

metcalfedan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,282 posts
  • Location:I'd love to say Holy Terra but then I would just be lying...
  • Faction: CRIMSON FISTS!
:)
QUOTE (Cedric @ May 31 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
@ Captain Mike. Viva is Spanish/Italian for "long live". So "Viva Metallica", as the method is called, would roughly translate to "Long live Metallics!"

Master Chaplain Astador

Master Chaplain Astador

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,283 posts
Well you know when things settle down, you should make your way here! haha ;)
[img=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/Golden_Palace/gallery_24779_1036_13376.jpg]
[url=http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?49752-My-Lastest-WIP]Current WIP[/url]
Always Accepting Commission work! Inquire at ExiledMiniatures@gmail.com

wokkers

wokkers

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 804 posts
it keeps getting better :blink:

well done mate
"Legends tell of a legendary warrior, whose kung-fu skills were the stuff of legend." - Po

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 182 posts
That landraider is unreal.
The battle damage, free hand and use of decals is awesome.

Keep em coming.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,647 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
These guys are awesome. It is always cool to see obscure Chapters fleshed out!

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

claytonofbricks

claytonofbricks

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5 posts
wow Grey_Death, these guys are amazing. I wish that they were my army. =] Keep up the good work and I'd like to see as many pictures as possible.

twistinthunder

twistinthunder

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 558 posts
*post removed at request of poster*

Edited by twistinthunder, 02 June 2009 - 04:36 PM.

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,828 posts
Speaking as a veteran fan of the Badab war I have to say these guys are amazing!

Grey_Death

Grey_Death

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 238 posts
Big thanks to everyone for your support for the Sons!

+++++++++++++++++

IT IS DONE!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Grey_Death, 02 June 2009 - 04:30 PM.

-Aaron

twistinthunder

twistinthunder

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 558 posts
LOVE IT!

Grey_Death

Grey_Death

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 238 posts
For a change of pace I decided I needed to work with something non-green.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Feels sort of busy, but the models ARE busy, being veterans and all. GW really likes to pack on the detailing for vets...I might still go back and simplify things a bit, we'll see.

C&C welcome and wanted as always!
-Aaron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users