Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Sons of Medusa

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
181 replies to this topic

Tyrannicide

Tyrannicide

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,933 posts
While the color scheme and details together come across as busy, I think the overall effect looks great. I say don't change a thing, keep it! :(

+++The Host of Anguish+++

gallery_25301_10678_6786.jpg

+++In Memoriam: The Day the Palace Fell+++

+General Thread+ 

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

JMcL63

JMcL63

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,853 posts
  • Faction: Penumbra's Talons
I really like your work Grey_Death, and am very pleased to see another army of 'screaming' green marines. One technical comment: I notice you prime in white. This was what I did when I first started working with Scorpion Green. I eventually came to the conclusion that a dark primer, eg. DA green, is actually better. This may seem counter-intuitive for such a light colour, but I've found that the result is a much deeper hue with little or no loss of brightness. It makes shading easier, naturally enough. I can only suggest you try a test mini and see what you think. Good luck with your lads. ;)

Edited by JMcL63, 09 June 2009 - 12:48 AM.

"Remember each leaf and every blade of grass. Make them your friends before your foe makes them your enemies."

Franken Lar - Founding Chapter Master of Chapter Astartes Penumbra's Talons

"Roll dice and kick ass!"
Snapshots from JMcL63's lands of adventure

Bulletin from Belon
Penumbra's Talons @B&C

XKhalilX

XKhalilX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,132 posts
  • Faction: Children of Eternity
grey, the raider looks incredible, and the sternguard marines in the camo are brilliantly done. The beakie sternguard is my favorite in the entire set (his pose screams hes sgt, not the powerfist one). The stripe on his beak makes me think navy seal ;)

great job. So what is next on the Sons of Medusa to do list?

and question to you and anyone: do you think the sons are truly Iron Hands geneseed? think it will ever be revealed if they are and when founded?

Grey_Death

Grey_Death

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 238 posts
  • Faction: Grey Death Legion
Darth Potato, I guess I'll have to wait it out and see what the full squad ends up looking like. If I still feel they are too busy, I might tone down all of the skulls to the gold/bronze I've gone with on a few of the eagles and the hand.

JMcL63, I ended up giving everything a heavy wash to the recesses with a nice dark Thraka Green Wash. I think it added the depth of color I was looking to start from while keeping me nice and high in the color range. I used the primer as more a tooth for the rest of it all to hold to, don't need it chipping off at green spray stage ^_-.

XKhalilX, I tried to stick with beaks and studded shoulders for the sgt types. I didn't take the fist in the squad (for now) as they're mostly shooty with a good bit of range.

As for what's left, there is at least this:

3x Desert Support Marines
8x Tactical Marines
2x Razorbacks
1x Master of the Forge

Past that I do have more stuff I would like to finish for the army, including a termie squad and another Dread. But time constraints might keep that from fruition for the Campaign. But they will eventually be added to the mix. Hopefully time starts to open up the next few months so I can really get busy with the painting.
-Aaron

JMcL63

JMcL63

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,853 posts
  • Faction: Penumbra's Talons
BTW, just so you know Grey_Death: that comment of mine about the primer wasn't meant to suggest even the slightest criticism of your work. It was just a comment about an alternative technique. I'm sure you knew, but I just thought I'd leave no misunderstanding possible; us Scorpion Green marines have got to stick together after all! ;)

"Remember each leaf and every blade of grass. Make them your friends before your foe makes them your enemies."

Franken Lar - Founding Chapter Master of Chapter Astartes Penumbra's Talons

"Roll dice and kick ass!"
Snapshots from JMcL63's lands of adventure

Bulletin from Belon
Penumbra's Talons @B&C

worrywort

worrywort

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 121 posts
Woaw !

What a beautiful Land Raider !

Love it ! The Battle damage are very impressive.

The desert support squad is very beautiful too.

Hope you can finish your army in the time !
For long you live
And high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
Your race towards an early grave

shaw3029

shaw3029

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 237 posts
Wow! The landraider looks fantastic!! I love the bright green Marines If I did another Marine army I think it would definetly be these.

How did you do the mud on the trakks of the landraider?

I may have to give the battle damage technique a go it looks great.

Thanks.

My Pre heresy Imperial Fist's.

http://www.bolterand...p;#entry2005639

ItSeWiNg

ItSeWiNg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 164 posts
Nice stuff i like how youve given them a ship
kwl stuff mate

For Each A Road For Everyman A Religion

Grey_Death

Grey_Death

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 238 posts
Back on the Sons of Medusa Wagon finally. I think the breaks with other models really helped to motivate me though! I have finished two greenies (minus chapter badge)!

Posted Image

And I've started doing real work on the Techmarine (who I'm using as a MotF) finally. I'm happy with it so far, still a long long way to go:

Posted Image

Hope to finish this one soon!
-Aaron

Master Chaplain Astador

Master Chaplain Astador

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,283 posts
Looking awesome as always Grey_Death!
[img=http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/Golden_Palace/gallery_24779_1036_13376.jpg]
[url=http://www.coolminiornot.com/forums/showthread.php?49752-My-Lastest-WIP]Current WIP[/url]
Always Accepting Commission work! Inquire at ExiledMiniatures@gmail.com

Drexsun

Drexsun

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 70 posts
Grey_Death,

Very nice work.. you make the color green work well.. I like the detail on the Land Raider.. nice job.. I wish I could get that good with my painting. I will make sure to check back here and see more of your work.

- Drexsun

GumbaFish

GumbaFish

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 553 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Consuls
Glad to see some updates, taking breaks really is the only way to keep enthusiasm on armies.

Pulse

Pulse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,858 posts
  • Faction: Star Lords
Outstanding work on the Land Raider, the painting on the thing is just awesome. Love your style matey.

I r a fan. ;)

Grey_Death

Grey_Death

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 238 posts
Thanks for the support guys!

++++++++++++++++++

A bit of progress after some painting at the shop and now at work:

Posted Image

I am hoping tomorrow he will be finished. So stay tuned around tomorrow night. At the very least more progress will be made ^_-.
-Aaron

blood_raven_240

blood_raven_240

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,242 posts
That's an awesome looking Techmarine! The deep red should really contrast with the rest of your army! Well done, looking forawrd to seeing it finished!

(Consider me 'Tuned In' tomorrow, as it were)

^_^

Blood Raven :lol:
Please take a peek at these homegrown rules: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...=175186&hl=

Master Toddius

Master Toddius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,538 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels 4th Company
I'm really loving how this army is turning out. The techmarine is coming along beautifully. I'm glad the Tamiya spray paints worked out for ya. :lol:

-----T O D D I U S

gallery_317_1465_4319.jpggallery_317_1465_1491.jpggallery_317_1465_191827.gifgallery_317_1465_448.jpggallery_317_1465_3238.jpg

Khrangar

Khrangar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,032 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors Legion
The techmarine is looking great. I was worried in the first pic of it that it'd end up too orange but the 2nd pic is a lot better.

Khrangar
QUOTE (-Q- @ Jun 1 2006, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yay! At the BnC everyone is a Mod! biggrin.png

The 11th Grand Company of Erasmus Golg

The Emperor's Word Part 2

Crazy Eight

Crazy Eight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,136 posts
Truly brilliant work here hats off to you brother grey_death truly inspiring

Grey_Death

Grey_Death

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 238 posts
Finally finished the MotF! I ended up getting stuck with life things to do for a few days, but had some time yesterday at work to get him finished up!

Here are some pics (sorry for the quality, the wifey has the good camera x.x). Click for the gallery page:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

As an added bonus, I finished up a Green tactical marine last night as well! He was already greened out, and just needed highlighting and detail work done:

Posted Image

Going to work on some more green marines to try and finish out my tactical squads (5 Models left!) before I move on to finishing my Desert Support Squad (only 2 models left for them!)

After that it's on to the Termies and then it's vehicles. Can't wait to see more of my army hitting the field of battle painted :evil:.
-Aaron

Grey_Death

Grey_Death

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 238 posts
It's not much progress, but it's progress! Another Green Marine added to the bunch:

Posted Image

4 more to go before I am done with basic troopers. Expect more progress tomorrow ^_-.
-Aaron

Khrangar

Khrangar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,032 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors Legion
Great job, keep up the progress. Almost done the regular troopers.

Khrangar
QUOTE (-Q- @ Jun 1 2006, 09:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yay! At the BnC everyone is a Mod! biggrin.png

The 11th Grand Company of Erasmus Golg

The Emperor's Word Part 2

The emperors chosen

The emperors chosen

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 947 posts
  • Faction: Storm Ravens
I really like the desert support marines(I'm actually using a similar idea in my chapter :lol: )
can you tell me how you did them? I love the green, it's really good.
QUOTE (Big King Bob @ Apr 24 2008, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Finds a lab? with computers? accesses the sum total of human knowledge up to the DAOT?
DAMN YOU WIKIPEDIA!!! DAMN YOU!!!

QUOTE (maligncomedy @ Oct 4 2009, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And the Lord of Change had spoketh, "Make up with the Wolves, young sorceror, for their codex will destroy ye soulless arses, thanks to the blasphemy that is Phil Kelly", and then it was done.

"In the darkness all men are equal, save those that embrace it." -Captain Kayvaan Shrike, third company, Raven Guard
QUOTE (Thantoes @ Mar 8 2010, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Im all for sculpted torsos but really.....Nipples????

Lord Ragnarok

Lord Ragnarok

++ DIMICATIO FORMIDOLOSA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 8,920 posts
  • Faction: Conclave of Shadows
Like the beakie marine very much. Nice work!
Posted ImagePosted Image
"This is not the first time you've been left to fate. I can see it in your manner. It takes something from you doesn't it? Being deserted hollows you out and leaves a void inside. People might say that it hurts, that the psyche aches from the wound. It's not true though. Abandonment does not leave pain. You wished it did because that would be better than the truth. It leaves nothing. Not hope, not pain, not forgiveness."

Shenaniganz

Shenaniganz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 35 posts
Grey Death i am really loving you work, the green is fantastic. The only thing i find better is the weathering you have done on them, could you by any chance post a tutorial on this?

Grey_Death

Grey_Death

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 238 posts
Shen, I've posted a battle damage quick tutorial to my site a while back, check it out here.

TEC, I don't quite have a tutorial down just yet for the Desert Marines, I can tell you that I did use a lot of Vallejo as the base colors. If I get the method down for a tutorial, I'll definitely post it here ^_-.

Lord Rag, thanks :P.

K, Thanks!

+++++++++

I know it's been a while x.x, but I finally had time to finish off my Razorback. It took a while longer than expected, but that was completely thanks to school and work. Now that I'm done with both for a while, I'll have a bit of time to put into the marines!

Posted Image

I hope to continue working on the boys this week with a bit more dedication in prep for BolsCon.
-Aaron

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users