I can't kill a Baneblade.

imagine28

Well, I am playing a 1250 point game against my friend, who plays Guard. Unfortunately for me, he is fielding a Baneblade, and after 3 turns, I haven't even done a single strucure point of damage. On the first turn, it exploded my razorback and my rhino, and then immobolised and weapon destroyed my dreadnaught. On turn 2 I teleported my Tank Hunter Termies in on the Baneblade, but it simple moved backward 6" and rotated, and killed all 5 of them hideously with its AP2 weapon. All I've got left are a 2 man tact squad (he killed the rest) with an Uber Commander (175pts of raw goodness), and another tact squad with 7 guys remaining that has another commander accompanying it (141pts.). Both of the tact squads still have a missle launcher, and the one with two guys has a combi-plasma.

Another problem is that the Baneblade is probably about 3 ft (his heavy bolters could barely hit me) away. I really don't see me killing it this game, and to be honest, I haven't even killed a single one of his untis except for blowing up one of his transports.

So I guess my question is:

How do I kill a Baneblade or any tanks in a game like this? My arsenal of units includes everything above, and then I have 1 more tact squad to assemble from the Assualt on Black Reach. We typically play 1000-1500 pt. games. When he plays the Baneblade, it isn't even fun. The 10" AP2 blast kills a tact squad in 1 freakin' turn.

Thanks guys. I'm desprately hopeless on how to kill this thing. I have even been searching around and stuff.

Next time you play him and he brings his Baneblade. :P KICK HIM IN THE NUTS! :P and then very calmly drop kick his Baneblade. The Baneblade was not made to be played in regular 40k games. It is not even legal or on any army list for 40k. It is an Apocalypse only vehicle. Apocalypse games should be played with no less than 3000 pts per side. He is a real tard if he is playing a BB in a 1250 pt game. Now that I've vented a little bit.... Ask him to please bring a legal army to play you and if he refuses find someone else to play with. Last but not least if you want to see his jaw drop, charge his Baneblade with a 10 man tactical with a Power fist sgt and see his little baby blow up sky high when you hit him with 9 krak grenades (str 7) and 3 PF attacks to his rear armor. ;)

Man, back in fourth edition, I would have recommended 6 tank hunting venerable dreadnoughts, but that ship has sailed. Now Drop pod full ten man sternguard all with combi-melta. In fact, if he is going to bend rules by taking a baneblade in a 1250 pt game, you should take three full ten man squads with combi melta as your troops choice.

Lysander in a squad with some terminators with chainfists, almost any vehicle should go pop in one turn. Seriously tho there is no need to use a BB in such a small battle, Im sure he just wants to use the tank he spent £60 on but it should only be in apoc games as everyone else said.

A baneblade isn't actually all that hard to kill, take a squad of vets, sneak them close and slap a few meltabombs on the thing, they will hit read armour, and.. ohh.. yup.. thats where the engine is!! Boom anyone?

Thanks for the fast replies guys ;)

And yeah, unfortunately, we don't have that many figures so I will be playing the Baneblade in the future, so I will def. go witht he charge idea. I made a stupid mistake and deployed my rhinos with LOS to the Baneblade, and I didn't get first turn. Next game I will play all 3 of my tact squads (all w/ kraks) and just charge the hell out of it.

Thanks again guys.

Well I agree with everything that has so far been said. The baneblade is not balanced for games that arn't 3000 points or less. In fact at 3k it's actually getting pretty tedious and boring to face. As I'm going to assume that you have the apocalypse book already and the templates, maybe it's time to unleash masters of the chapter at him? It is pretty cheesy and horrid to fight at 1250 points and as legal as the baneblade.

Alternatively I'd suggest you just play 750 point games. That way your games will be balanced and you'll have more fun. I realize that you both want to put your cool looking stuff on the table but maybe just leave it for a while. He'll be able to use the baneblade down at his local store where they should have events so it won't just collect dust.

Also if you are thinking about getting one then please DON'T. After a year of people just buying baneblades and spamming tables with them I am bored. If you want a cool looking model for games then forge world do plenty of different ones for about the same price.

Random Guy

Also if you are thinking about getting one then please DON'T. After a year of people just buying baneblades and spamming tables with them I am bored. If you want a cool looking model for games then forge world do plenty of different ones for about the same price.

FW *blades are SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive than the plastic kit.

Remind him that a baneblade in an ordinary game of 40k uses the rules in imperial armour vol. 1, and that his awesomeness of a vehicle comes with a price tag of 634 pts. and that his beyblade cannon shoots 5" templates. the 7 and 10" templates are for apocalypse only.

Yes, in the older imperial armour book, its a loooooong way pre-apoc, the rules were made so that FW could sell their BB kit.

Its basically a weedier yet more expensive version of the one we're all used to.

Just so we're clear... He is aware his army is illegal right?

Whether or not you want to let him do it is your choice, but he shouldn't be working under the impression fielding a baneblade (or any other apoc only model), in a normal game is illegal. Doing it against someone else is likely to garner anger.

Aslo there was a post stating that Krak Gren is only str 6 were are you getting the str 7?

Yeah, I saw that too... actually I looked it up after he posted that, and I think it was just a typo and he meant str 6, which means I need 6s to glance...

I don't have a Baneblade's stats but I would think a surefire way to kill it the first turn would be simply lots of Sternguard in Drop Pods with combi meltas.

Unless I'm missing something you could simply do:

Sternguard x 10

Combi-Melta x 10

Drop Pod

First turn deploy the Drop Pod right on top of the Baneblade. If you don't roll scatter, it will automatically land in the closest possible safe spot (probably right next to the Baneblade. Meltaguns are assault so have all of your Sternguard shoot the Baneblade. 10 under half range melta shots should kill just about anything. If you roll scatter, the worst case you'll still be within 12 inches to shoot it.

If you really want to make sure its dead, just add another Drop Pod with the same thing.

If your Sternguard all die you're still trading 335 points for more than half his army. He might wise up and deploy so you can't drop right next to the Baneblade but you can still land next to his units limiting what he'll be able to shoot you with.

As already mentioned before, make sure he is using the correct ruleset.

If he's using the GW Apocalypse book for his rules, then it's not legal. The correct book is Forgeworlds Imperial Armour Volume 1 (which in itself is £35 - £40). This version has been scaled to be more 40k friendly (however at lower points values it's still a bit skewed and overpowered) and gives you more of a chance as it's both more expensive and less powerful (as it should be IMHO)

There are plenty of ways to get through a Baneblade, it's a matter of strategy. It essentially comes down to what you use, and how you deploy it.

The simplest way is to simlpy shoot it at range with massed lascannon fire. Not the most efficient or cheapest way to do things, but a pair of standard pattern Land Raiders should help to even things out. 4 sets of twin linked lascannons per turn, plus AV14 to help reduce the impact of return fire. Should be able to lend itself quite well to anything else you have as tank hunters.

If you're playing regular Marines under the new Codex, then a unit of Assault Terminators armed entirely with Thunder Hammers can be quite effective. The Hammers will only have a minimal amount of impact on the BB (looking at 5's and 6's effectively), but the sheer number of attacks means that you'll be doing something. Plus a 2+ armour and 3+ Invulnerable also makes them quite resistant now. Best delivered via Land Raider, and if you're taking some already for Land Raiders then all the better (Remember, Machine Spirirt means you can fire 2 weapons at BS4 when moving).

Deathwing are even better at this approach, as you can mix all weapon types together. For instance, you could take Thunder Hammers alongside Chain Fists and a Cyclone Launcher, and with Deathwig Assault you can start to harrass the BB in the first turn.

Melat is also a great choice, and as already mentioned the suicide Sternguard squad armed with meltaguns / combi-meltas in a Drop Pod can be very effective. The additional AP for the melta weapons at close range means that Penetrating hits are going to near-guarenteed provided you hit it, and AP1 gives you edge when rolling on the table.

I would avoid using Attack Bikes and Multi Meltas, unless you can deliver them quickly and without getting intercepted. Normally these would be ideally suited as they provide fast moving Multi Meltas, but going up against a Baneblade would be suicide as they're fragile.

Unfortunately, the BB is not something that can easily be ignored. It can't be locked in combat and has the firepower potential to be a threat to anything and everything.

I would go with the combo of a Land Raider coupled with Melta Sternguard in a Drop Pod. Use the Land Riader to strip some of it's voids away (along with anything else that can shoot S8+ at range, such as anything with a Missile Launcher), and use the melta to remove it's structure points. Rinse and Repeat as needed.

Also, as an after thought - how about a MultiMelta / DCCW Dreadnought (a la Black Reach) in a Drop Pod? Multi Melta before assaulting with a S10 DCCW. Forgo the Extra Armour and even Venerable to make it cheap and cheerful.

1. Pick up a brick.

2. Smash Baneblade with brick.

3. Repeat 2 as necessary.

Seriously, though, TH/SS termies in a Crusader.

Crusader drives up, MMs + ACs, Termies attack (always against Rear Armor), hitting on 4s if it moved and penetrating on 5s or 6s.

From 10 Termies, that's ~5 pens + whatever the Crusader does.

Archived